AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOX Brazil has already released X-Men Origins: Wolverine and it's debuting as a rental copy.

The disc is barebones, and I haven't watched the full feature yet, but the PQ looks to be on par with great day-and-date releases from FOX. The more featured packed sell-through version should be coming in the next two or three months.

I also got The Siege which is a BD-50, high-bitrate AVC encoded with lots of supplements.

Like The Devil Wears Prada version we've got, this has absolutely no resemblance with the US release. All the digital noise and bad compression are gone. It's not the best looking disc out there and I don't know if a new transfer was struck, but, except for a some light EE it looks very good and film like for a 1998 title (which I consider to be in the 'risk period', I mean, titles that haven't come from a DI but studios usually don't consider them old enough to justify a new transfer).

The DTS-HD MA track is a killer, great mix

·
Registered
577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBC /forum/post/16961765

I also got The Siege which is a BD-50, high-bitrate AVC encoded with lots of supplements.

Oh, hell yeah! Three important questions:

1) Are the supplements in PAL format?

2) Is the disc Region A or Region Free?

3) Where do I buy this bad mama-jama?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've discovered I have no trace of patience; since AlexBC didn't answer two seconds after I inquired of him, I spent the last hour scouring the internet for any trace of a Brazilian exporter of BDs. Failing that, I found a so-called "Hong Kong Version" of THE SIEGE at YesAsia that matches AlexBC's description of the Brazilian release, so I pulled the trigger. Now, I just have to hope I didn't piss away $38 on a movie with forced subtitles or with PAL extras (they wouldn't be PAL coming from Hong Kong, would they?)...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker /forum/post/16963399

I've discovered I have no trace of patience; since AlexBC didn't answer two seconds after I inquired of him, I spent the last hour scouring the internet for any trace of a Brazilian exporter of BDs.

LOL

I had posted some suggestions in another thread here a while ago. If anyone is interested, check out the link bellow.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...6&postcount=63

But you're safe, the brazilian verion is the same as the Hong Kong version.

Both Brazil and Southeast Asia are region A and NTSC for SD content. Furthermore, major studios don't use PAL content even on international discs.

Brazilian discs are expensive, but there some other nice non US released content. The most relevant are:

From FOX (great looking titles):

Devil Wears Prada - BD-50 - AVC high-bitrate - DTS-HD MA - supplements

Men On Fire - BD-50 - AVC high-bitrate - DTS-HD MA - supplements

The Siege - BD-50 - AVC high-bitrate - DTS-HD MA - supplements

From Sony

great looking titles:

The Bone Collector - BD-50 - AVC - DTHD - suplements

The Punisher - BD-50 - AVC - DTHD - suplements

Vertical Limit - BD-50 - AVC - PCM - suplements

Vertical Limit - BD-50 - AVC - DTHD - suplements

Hellboy (TC) - BD-50 - AVC - DTHD (48/24) - suplements not present on US release

good looking titles:

Erin Brockovich - BD-50 - AVC - DTHD - suplements

Welcome To The Jungle - BD-50 - AVC - DTHD - suplements (uncut)

Not great looking but better than US, not available in the US or with exclusive content

Terminator 3 - BD-50 - AVC - DTHD - suplements

Almost Famous - BD-50 - AVC - DTHD - suplements

Gothika - BD-50 - MPEG2 - DTHD - suplements

Peter Pan (2003) - BD-50 - AVC - DTHD - suplements (fantastic audio track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/16962351

Maybe you can check to see if the Brazilian edition of The X Files ( first film ) is better with none of the edge enhancement and processed look which spoiled it for me.

Foxy,

no such luck here, I have The X Files, it's the same as the US.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBC /forum/post/16963677

But you're safe, the brazilian verion is the same as the Hong Kong version.

Whew! So probably no forced subtitles either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBC /forum/post/16963677

Furthermore, major studios don't use PAL content even on international discs.

Well, that's not necessarily true--I own the Australian BD of THE DESCENT and the German BDs of HALLOWEEN [2007] and 1408 and they all have PAL content.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke /forum/post/16964818

And none of those are from a major studio, so yes, it is true.

I guess we have different ideas of a major studio but, if by that term, we mean the really big boys (20th Century Fox, Universal, Paramount, Sony and Warner Bros.) then, whew! I can't wait to enjoy THE SIEGE the way Fox should have done it in the U.S.!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Filmmaker,

I think that would be only one definition of a major studio

So, like Raul said, it has been true so far.

I also have the australian version of The Descent. It's distributed by Icon, which is not even a studio, only a distributor.

We have several other exclusive releases from local independent distribution companies, but most of them are not very good. The exception is 1408, which I think is the best looking version available compared to US, dutch and australian ones (though I haven't seen the japanese yet). It's the TC, so it comes from a different master with minimal jaggies problem.

But you don't have to worry about forced subs, that's has never a problem with any brazilian disc so far.

BTW, I as taking another look at The Siege and the video bitrate is so high that it peaks around 40mbps during the end credits and usually never dropping bellow 30

·
Registered
383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker /forum/post/16964976

I can't wait to enjoy THE SIEGE the way Fox should have done it in the U.S.!

I haven't followed the discussion about The Siege, and was planning to buy it, what is wrong about the us-release?

AlexBC: Do you know if Bone Collector is the same release as in the uk?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
There hasn't really been a discussion about it here, but the US release is a barebones BD-25 MPEG-2 release that appears to be a holdover like Predator was (especially considering how far back they were advertising it). PQ reviews are subpar.

The Brazilian/Euro/Aussie versions are a new BD-50 AVC encode at more than twice the average bitrate of the MPEG-2 according to the specs thread and actually include the extras from the 2-disc DVD.

I guess I may have to pick it up, as I've somehow misplaced the Martial Law Edition that I bought not that long ago for around 5 bucks new...

By the way, even the Region BC locked Aussie release has the extras in NTSC so this definitely does.

AlexBC, does the Brazilian edition include the "Inside the Mind of a Suicide Bomber" special that the Aussie disc carried over from the R2/R4 Definitive Edition?

EDIT: Going by the screencaps on DVDBeaver and Blu-ray.com, I think the reviews may be going overly hard on the transfer just because it's encoded as MPEG-2.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by degas /forum/post/16965913

AlexBC: Do you know if Bone Collector is the same release as in the uk?

The brazilian disc is exactly the same disc distributed in Asia (including Japan).

If the UK disc is not cut, then I say they are about the same. Sony usually goes for the same encode unless there's a difference in the cut.

The difference is probably just in the cuts.

Well, actually if you care about minor details, Sony brazilian discs are pressed in the US and don't have any rating logos like the UK would. They look exactly like Sony US discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan /forum/post/16966028

EDIT: Going by the screencaps on DVDBeaver and Blu-ray.com, I think the reviews may be going overly hard on the transfer just because it's encoded as MPEG-2.

Sure it's not terrible, but the international version really is much better

I'll get back to you on the extra feature.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts