AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past three years, I've seen a lot of boxing in HD on HBO, Showtime, and InHD. I saw a boxing telecast last night that added a new dimension to the viewing experience.

Last night, the boxing event telecast on InHD (from a FSN-PPV original that included the most recent Holyfield fight) featured an amazing new technology called "X-MO."

Basically, X-MO is a slow-motion playback that shows the effects of impact of each punch. The contortions of the boxer's face and head were horrific. The viewer gets a much better appreciation of the pounding that a boxer takes when struck by his opponent. It is not for the squeamish.

I've seen lots of slow-motion playback in other boxing telecasts, but for some reason, they never were as graphic as what X-MO showed me last night.

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts
ESPN used a similar system for last year's Home Run derby and it produced great shots of the impact of bat and ball. MNF and some of the NFL playoff games have also had such a system producing equally impressive results.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
X-MO is 3000fps, for the detail oriented. Most other advanced slo-mo systems are 180fps. It was originally developed for military bomb blast analysis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.