AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I did a USB Cables Benchmark using my X-Rite i1PRO Spectro and 2 different USB Cables to see if there any performance improvement in speed & repeatability.

These are the cables i used for that test.

X-Rite Stock USB Cable that came with the Retail Package of the i1PRO priced about 12$

Kimber Kable USB-Cu Silver Plated Cable 1.5m (Near 57$) which had Silver-plated (6.1%) signal conductors, Maximum gauge signal and power conductors, High-density polyethylene signal conductor dielectric, Ferrite noise reduction beads. I did 2 different tests. One with Ferrites attached as shown at the picture and an another one removing both ferrites from the cable.

I took the measurements using the i1PRO attached to an LCD Notebook using a Full Screen 100% White Pattern from CalMAN Pattern Generator. I had previously mounted the i1PRO for at least one hour for warm-up. I have fixed the i1PRO mount with 3M Painters Tape to be stable and for taking the measurements from the exact same position due to the Dark Reading unmounting before testing each one cable.

I used ChromaPure's Data Raw Module, to take 1 min of measurements for each cable. I used 'export to Excel' function of Chromapure to get the all the time & xyY readings out for saving. Holding down the 'Enter' Key from my keyboard, i took non-stop measurements for 1 minute for each cable.

Summary Results From Testing:

Ferrite noise reduction bread was not good choice for that Kimber USB cable with i1PRO, but removing it it the perfomance was better in repeatability and measure of xyY from the X-Rite stock cable. Speed was exact the same for both cables, i measured only a small delay at readings with ferrite attached.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
If you want to try it again, better information to look at would be the raw XYZ data coming in from the meter.

If you're looking for sensor repeatability the XYZ data will show it much more accurately then after it's been transformed into xyY.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U
I don't see the point of this. Don't most meters already have the USB cable built into the device?

i1PRO has a detachable usb cable.

It was a simple test to see if there any differencies of using a higher quality cable.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti
If you want to try it again, better information to look at would be the raw XYZ data coming in from the meter.

If you're looking for sensor repeatability the XYZ data will show it much more accurately then after it's been transformed into xyY.
Under the same conditions i will run again that test using CalMAN for displaying the XYZ Data from DataGrid, Doing an auto-run of a 50 continious readings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.