AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my X1 ceiling mounted for 16 months, I clean the filters religiously and the unit hasn't so much as been bumped the entire time it's been ceiling mounted.

Last night, I was watching a SD TV program and about 45 minutes into it I heard this odd noise from the X1. I turned off the audio and inspected the unit and the noise was coming from the Colour wheel - I am 100% sure of it. I turned the unit off with the remote control, let it cool off and then restarted it. Sure enough the grinding was still occuring.

I then switched to an HD feed and the sound started to diminish, and after about 2 minutes was gone completely. I then watched about 1 more hour of HD and the sound never came back.

I called Infocus and the support guy was polite and courteous, but basically said if I sent it in for repair under warranty and the grinding sound wasn't apparent, there wouldn't be anything they could do. So I asked him to make a note on their systems about this incident in case problems occured again (I have the standard 2 yr warranty plus the additional 3rd year labour bonus).

My question is this, is it just coincidence that the sound went away after I switched over to an HD feed? I barely ever watch SD TV, maybe once every 6 months, could it be that the unit is having a problem adjusting to the sync rate of SD vs HD? All my inputs come into the Vesa connector as my SA8000 unit puts all video out as 1080i. The Infocus support guy did say that the unit has to resync the colour wheel for different feeds even if they are coming into the same connection.....

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I have heard that the Color wheel automatically recalibrates itself after a while. You may want to be patient for a few weeks and see if that is true or not. I hope other X1 users can chime in on this. I have about 1,000 hours on my X1 and don't have this problem **knocking on wood right now ** Please don't let it happen to me!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had this problem with my X1, when it first stated it would buzz for awhile and then stop but after a week or so it got so it was continous and very loud. I ended up sending it into infocus to be repaired.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
My color wheel has been noisy a few times. A couple of times it seemed to coincide with me having tilted or moved my PJ around. But it always goes away on its own in less than an hour.

I suspect it may be that the wheel motor bearing gets out of its old familiar groove and either has to settle into a new groove or get back into the old one, but that's just speculation on my part. I liken it to a computer hard drive motor (7200 RPM even) and I've heard those go through similar noisey periods and recover on their own too.

Next time it happens I'm going to try moving the projector gently around while it is noisey to see if I can encourage it to quiet down sooner.

If your motor is really having a problem then it will probably only get worse, until it gets so bad that you will have no hesitation in sending it in for repair (hopefully within your warranty period).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have about 300 hrs on my X-1, having had it for about three months. It has had the color wheel noise off and on since day one. It is intermittent and does not seem dependent on input. It does not appear to effect the picture.

It may not happen for a few movie sessions and then occur for the next one or two. It can happen at the onset of a use or after an hour or two of use. Sometimes the noise is very brief and on other occasions it may persist for 5 or 10 minutes. It seems truly random.

I also suspect it is a bearing problem but plan on using it until it either resolves itself or becomes continuous and I will have to send it in for repair. I hope it resolves on its own as I don't think I could watch a movie without it now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I watched about 4 hours of movies over the weekend and no grinding noise at all. What I find odd is that Infocus can't explain what might be causing this to occur....

It's my experience with most moving parts that grinding is not a good thing - I worry that if this occurs enough something might break just outside of the manufacturer's warranty....

Fingers crossed.....

·
Registered
293 Posts
i also get a grinding from the color wheel but only after the unit is disturbed...such as cleaning the filters or color wheel itself.

it has never lasted more than a couple of minutes and i also think it is the wheel going out of balance for a while possible being moved from its wear groove in the bearings. so far its always gone back to normal and i am now at the 3000hr mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.