AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be using a 16:9 110" screen with my X1 ( I may updade to 5700 or 7200 depending on quality of X1).

Here is my question. If I set the X1 to 16:9 mode, will it project only the widescreen, 16:9 image (1.85), correct?

It the material is a 2.35 image, I assume the X1 will have black bars at the top and bottom. Correct?

Someone had told me they though it would still throw a 4:3 image with grey bars on the top and bottom for BOTH 1.85 and 2.35 material.

Which is true? I really hope it's 16:9 mode will work with my 16:9 screen.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have an X1 set to 16:9 and a screen to match. The 1:85 aspect ratio fills the screen nearly perfectly ( maybe 2" on top and bottom are black). In 2:35 mode you will see larger black bars on top and bottom (approximately 6" to 10"). I'm very pleased with the 16:9 mode on the X1 especially after installing a mask to cut down on light spill on the top and bottom of the screen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Optikill,

Yes. I have a 16x9 screen. I watch widescreen dvds in 16x9 mode and regular TV (well everything that is 4x3) in "native" mode. In native mode it shows the 4x3 image in the middle of my 16x9 screen with bars on the sides (none on the top).

·
Registered
88 Posts
the X1 crops the top 15 and bottom 15 rows off of NTSC sources when displaying them in native mode. This results in a 640x450 image, not too different from the picture overscan on a CRT TV. I find myself using 16:9 stretch for NTSC - the stretch isnt too noticable - almost makes things feel more cinematic with the 33% wider image. in my case, I gain 8.3 square feet between native and 16:9 modes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
is there no way to set it up to where it doesn't chop off those lines? The majority of what I watch is 16:9. I watch a little SD stuff but not much and whatever games I play that aren't in 16:9.

·
Registered
88 Posts
well, you're talking about 6% of the vertical image size (3% off top and bottom). In terms of the size of a typical screen at about 52" tall, that is merely 1.625" off the top and 1.625" off the bottom (the image would be 55.25" tall if the X1 didnt crop). I'm glad it is an option - its nice to have a native (no scaling) NTSC display.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Not much good for us PAL ppl though.

Ahhh at least everything here DTV is 16:9 and feeding from my HTPC all stuff is correct aspect in 16:9 screen (ie keep aspect ratio in software) for them stupid bloody big budget US DVD's that can't afford a 16:9 handi cam for the extras, hmmm CLOWNS.

D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Carada has 1.78 and 1.85 screens, I will order one after my X1 ships from Dell and I play with it on my wall for a bit. My X1 will be used 80% for Dvd's, which of the two would you guys go with? or is this a non issue? They also have a 2.05-1 screen, would this screen be a great trade off size for Dvd's? My screen will be between 90-100 inches wide to fit between my speakers.

Thanks, Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.