AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. I'm reading alot on the X1 faq and the forums but I just wanna check my calculations. If I get the X1 and buy a 16:9 screen 104" x 58", if I send a 4:3 image (cable, PC, etc) to it in native mode it will display the full amount with no cropping centered in the screen correct? So I would in effect get about 78" x 58" 4:3 picture with 13" bars on either side?

Thanks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, another thing.. I am measuring my room and trying to figure out optimal figures. I put a 'simulated screen' up on the wall at the above size and checked 1.5x screen width seating. Too far, I wanna be more in my picture so I tried 1x and that felt just right. However I'm wondering if my head will be blocking the path of the image. I looked at the faq and it said:

"When the projector is in 16:9 mode, the image offset is 132.9%. This means that if you have an image 10 feet high and you are projecting from a table top, the bottom of the image will be 3.29 feet above the center of the lens. If you are projecting from the ceiling with the projector installed upside down then the top of the image will be 3.29 feet below the center of the lens."

Umm that kinda loses me. I'm going to ceiling mount and shoot to a 58" high screen. The room is 80" tall. Will that work?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would recommend you get the X1 first before you order your screen. I just finished the X1 demo, and the native mode did not look good to me. The image was slightly stretched and very soft when compared to the 4:3 or 16:9. Project onto a wall or a sheet first.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, that's sound advice. I definently want to demo it first but I am curious primarly as to whether or not my assumption about image size is right. 4:3 would be done as 78x53 in the above instance correct?

·
Registered
504 Posts
If I did the calculations correctly using the Infocus projection calculator and this site http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi you are correct. The native 4:3 dimensions would be 78x58. The offset for your 58" high screen would be 19", so the top of the screen would need to be 19" below the center of the lens for ceiling mount on a 16:9 screen. It is confusing isn't it! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.