AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that higher resolution projectors are very affordable why would anyone want a lower resolution projector that has to drop content from a DVD. No matter what the contrast ratio it doesn't make sense to buy a projector that can only approximate DVD playback when other projectors are available in the same price range show the whole movie.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Double what.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Leckian,

How about because they care about the quality of the image and there aren't any projectors down here where there aren't tradeoffs. Can you name any projector close to the price of the X1 that doesn't fall behind the X1 in at least one category? I can't. It goes the other way to. I haven't seen the X1, but I am confident that it also falls behind these others in some categories. If the issue you mentioned is your one overriding issue, there isn't a problem with that. That is your right. Others may just have other priorities.

--Darin

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's simple.

You either want better picture quality or full DVD resolution.

With the X1 you get some of the best picture quality in the $1500 price range, and Faroudja processing as an awesome bonus. With the Z1 or other full resolution projectors in the $1500 price range you trade the picture quality for full panel resolution.

It's all about what the end user feels is most important.

tallvertebrate

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leckian
Now that higher resolution projectors are very affordable why would anyone want a lower resolution projector that has to drop content from a DVD. No matter what the contrast ratio it doesn't make sense to buy a projector that can only approximate DVD playback when other projectors are available in the same price range show the whole movie.
I bought my X1 100% for DVD watching (I don't have cable / tv plugged in) and I'm very happy with it. I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. Afaik, the X1, in 16:9 mode, display as much with as high quality as any other display (has a 1:1 mapping of DVD resolution) {if your statement attempts to refer to the few pixels cropped on each side, remember that that's less than most TVs do with overscan...}

Sure this is not a perfect pj (as darinp said, which one is ?), but I think it holds comparaison with anything about twice its price... (and is available today, in the USA, with warranty, etc...)... basically, there is afaik no other choice in my budget for my usage

·
Registered
48 Posts
When you uses a dvd-player as source, i see no interest to get higher resolution. The picture will remain the same, don't you think so ?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've compared my X1 with my RPTV and was amazed at how much was cropped from the image on my RPTV. The X1 displays way more. I can't see that the few pixels cropped make much difference. I mean we're not talking pan and scan here!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Leckian - have you seen an X1? ProjectorCentral did not have a problem with DVD playback. This forum seems to have its share of people that feel they have to criticize other people's purchasing decisions or their projectors in order to defend/protect their own decisions. I don't have the X1 but it sounds like an incredible value for the money and perfect for some people.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think it is being unreasonable or overly critical to ask for a HT projector that is capable of full resolution DVD Playback. If others disagree it is no big deal. I would not be happy with a projector that had to crop part of the DVD off. If my math is correct the X1 would crop off 6.25% of the picture. To me that seems like alot.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Quote:
With the Z1 or other full resolution projectors in the $1500 price range you trade the picture quality for full panel resolution.
You act like the PQ on the z1 is garbage. Far from it. Still though, it is a given it won't have the depth, shadow detail and black level as the X1. But it IS damn good.

As for the original post, huh? The X1 sounds fantastic. I bet it shoots out a killer image. So what if its resolution ins't that high. IMO, it is the PQ that counts the most.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think the cropping is a great idea (at least the side cropping).

I think it will all depend on your viewing habits. If you are a widescreen type of person, I'm not sure the x1 is the best choice. (DLP inhereit issues not withstanding)

If I read the projector central review correctly, video and film mode drop brightness at least 50%. So right there your 1000 lumens is down to 500 or less. Then display 16:9 instead of 4:3 and you loose another 25%. Now you are down less than 400 lumens. That's why Pj Cen says not to use on such a lrge screen.

Contrast to Sanyo Z1, 700 16:9 lumens. But maybe the pic isn't as good because the pixels are getting scaled for dvd. or maybe it's better because more pixels are being used to display the image.

I dunno, it's all so confusing.

Jim J

in defense mode of my Z1, hoping I didn't back the wrong horse :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
leckian

It's all about competition and production costs for the DLP market. With the slew of projector manufacturers, and no Home Theatre DLP projector that displays "true" native DVD in the $1500 and under category, this tells me that it's not possible to make such a product quite yet.

But the technology will evolve, and that product will exist very soon. Meanwhile the X1 owners will be watching a beautiful projector and will be happy, after all thats all that matters in the long run.

tallvertebrate

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leckian
I don't think it is being unreasonable or overly critical to ask for a HT projector that is capable of full resolution DVD Playback. If others disagree it is no big deal. I would not be happy with a projector that had to crop part of the DVD off. If my math is correct the X1 would crop off 6.25% of the picture. To me that seems like alot.
That is a tradeoff with DLPs right now. When you buy one of these entry level projectors you decide whether you want to give up resolution in 16:9 or 3:4 mode. The same decision is made when buying an RPTV.

With loss of pixels and brightness in 16:9 along with the possible DLP side effects I am looking toward an LCD. But others don't like the dirty screen, lower black levels and greater screen door with the LCD.

I'm finding the AE300 to be the most acceptable tradeoffs for me right now. Each person will have their own unique requirements that will lead them down a different path. These types of decisions are what makes this forum thrive. Just remember, your perfect projector may not be my perfect projector.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The X1 sounds like an incredible bargain.

Still it puzzles me why at this late stage we are still having new projectors with SVGA resolution. I bought my XGA DLP 2 1/2 years ago for $2000 (B stock). It seems we should have moved way past SVGA by now...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim J
I think the cropping is a great idea (at least the side cropping).

I think it will all depend on your viewing habits. If you are a widescreen type of person, I'm not sure the x1 is the best choice. (DLP inhereit issues not withstanding)
Now I'm confused. I'm planning on getting X1 almost SOLEY for Widescreen DVDs and HDTV. Why isn't this a good choice?

Also what is the 6% cropping talk about? I thought and whole idea of Widescreen viewing was NOT to get cropped. Isn't there a viewing mode that doesn't crop on X1?

·
Registered
232 Posts
even the projectorcentral review said the x1 is not too bright.

also, there's thread in the rich guys forum (>5k) that shows how and why it's beneficial to have a projector with a resolution that exceeds the source.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gregg Brent
Now I'm confused. I'm planning on getting X1 almost SOLEY for Widescreen DVDs and HDTV. Why isn't this a good choice?

Also what is the 6% cropping talk about? I thought and whole idea of Widescreen viewing was NOT to get cropped. Isn't there a viewing mode that doesn't crop on X1?
Because it results in a 800x450 resolution 16:9 display. This means that it chops off 30 lines from the DVD resolution of 720x480.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Clark
The X1 sounds like an incredible bargain.

Still it puzzles me why at this late stage we are still having new projectors with SVGA resolution. I bought my XGA DLP 2 1/2 years ago for $2000 (B stock). It seems we should have moved way past SVGA by now...
Same here...I think the difference is that we can buy new XGA projectors for around $2.5K rather than $3.5K from 2 years ago.

I find it odd that anyone lambastes the X1 which is a crossover projector and not the Sharp Z90 which is a projector designed for HT, even more expensive and still only SVGA.

The M20X seems to be the value proposition for XGA projectors (IIRC still slightly cheaper than the 240) at around $2500. Prices for that projector seem steady since that's about what I paid 6 months ago.

The HT DLP market is overpriced overall. I don't see why Leckian would criticize the X1 and not Marantz for charging $10K+ for a $7K projector. This is exactly the direction we want the DLP market to go and InFocus should be rightly rewarded with DLP market share for putting out a decent DLP projector for under $1,500.

This may not be the best DLP on the market but unless there are some serious flaws to be revealed it is possibly the best DLP projector to date in terms of price and performance (excluding the $1,700 NEC LT-150 pricing mistake from Dell which is still probably king). The X1 is nearly an order of magnitude less expensive than the Runco Vx-101c (released Jan 2000) with roughly the same performance specs.

The only thing that could challenge is if Sharp put the Z90 color wheel into the M20X and kept the same pricing ($2500 street) or drop the pricing of the M20X to around $2K street and the M20S down to $1500 street.

Maybe the latter might happen by spring or summer.

Nigel

PS Is the pixel cropping automatic or is there a mode where you can disable that?

1 - 20 of 181 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.