AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought some of you would be interested to know that the Infocus component to VGA adapter makes a big difference to the sharpness of the image and I'm sure a straight breakout cable would be even better. At first I didn't notice much when viewing a DVD but I didn't spend any time comparing as I wanted to get to the games. On the XBox there is a major difference when putting the component cable into the VGA connection compared to the 9 pin S-video connection. The 9 pin S-video input has a soft focus look that you can easily notice on text but when you put it through the VGA input it is very sharp. You really notice it on objects in the distance because you can see way more detail. In racing games on the S-video input the different colored blobs off in the distance (cars I'm about to lap of course:D) now have discernible bumpers and other details when viewed through the VGA input that were not visible before at the same distance. I don't understand why for the sake of this inexpensive adapter or a breakout cable that many of you are still viewing through the 9 pin S-video input.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The S-VHS cable will ONLY accept interlaced signal. If you want a progressive scan signal you will need a breakout cable, RCA to 15pin DSUB.

Tha is the best connection to DVD player. Even better to drive the projector with a htpc (15 pin DSUB, VGA cable), the picture again is sharper and no artifacts on screen whatsoever, picture is noticibly brighter and cleaner. Running the X1 at [email protected] will result in less rainbow effect because of the resultant refresh rate, 59.984hz.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CO1
Just thought some of you would be interested to know that the Infocus component to VGA adapter makes a big difference to the sharpness of the image and I'm sure a straight breakout cable would be even better. I don't understand why for the sake of this inexpensive adapter or a breakout cable that many of you are still viewing through the 9 pin S-video input.
Hi CO1, Do you have a picture of the breakout cable? I'm new to this and just purchased a X1. I also happen to have an X-box that I want to hook up to the X1, is this cable to way to go then?:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does anyone know where to get an INEXPENSIVE component to VGA adapter other than Infocus?? They are out of stock.

Other places I called are asking $30 and up. Infocus adapter is only $10.

·
Registered
126 Posts
sorry..had to bump this. I really need this adapter. anyone know where to get an inexpensive one. I've been searching online.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,777 Posts
Use a male DVI to female VGA adapter, and VGA male to male cord for the long run to the PJ. It's all good.

here's an X1 up in the air. Screen size is now 102" diagonal @ 15' throw and 14' forward seating. yowser! It's great! 'specially with 1080i

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok, I am completely ignorant when it comes to front projectors but this X1 thing has me intrigued. Since the projector is native 4:3, how does it do with 16x9 DVDs? Does it has some sort of aspect ratio squeeze? I'm getting a Iscan Ultra this weekend for my RPTV. Will it work well with the X1? I should probably start an X1 101 thread but this forum doesn't exactly welcome threads wreaking of newbieness!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,777 Posts
Peter,

The contents of such a thread are already scattered amongst the forum like leaves on my lawn. But go ahead, post that Thread. Pay no attention to those who dride a quest for knowledge. Knowledge is power! had I known of the X1's potential for such a low investment, at least 2 of the last 5 PJ s I've installed could have / would have been X1s.....just because.

Post away.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
thanks for replys.. I'm actually needing the adapter similar to what infocus sells which is VGA to FEMALE RCA. Anyone know where to find this?

I have a 16ft component cable snakeing it's way up to X1. Need to plug this cable into an adapter.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,777 Posts
Yeah....

but what about those of us who already have a 25' Male VGA to Male VGA cord run to the PJ? The necessary Female RGB 15 pin to Male VGA 15 pin is the only real answer, and it seems to be in short supply to. Ssooo, try a Male DVI to Female VGA union. Same results as using the RGB to VGA

·
Registered
5,132 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
That mount looks familiar MississippiMan.

Make some of those cables up for me while we guzzle some Molsons.

I have some of the last allocations from Infocus. Those cables on order are already allocated out... I am just going to make up my own for customers.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I just received confirmation tonight that the breakout cable I ordered from Infocus shipped today, so anyone looking for a cheap cable can check them out again.

Can't wait to hook up my XBox!

Scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.