AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out with some ideas. I have 2 different cables running from my receiver and RCA DTC 100 (a 50 foot component and a 50 foot SVGA). The wife has laid down the law and said I need to do "something" ASAP to make all the cables less noticeable. They are running along a doorway, across a baseboard, then up 10 feet to the ceiling and across 10 feet to the projector.

I can't paint them. They would still be extremely conspicuous. What kinds of products are out there to hide this stuff?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Well I am in exactly the same boat and I will tell you what I discovered in my quest. There is a product at Lowes, I can't remember exactly what it is called but it is commonly referred to as wire raceway.

It's a surface mount system of channels, bends and other pieces designed to conceal you wires. I believe the main application is along baseboards however I am going to adapt it to contain all of my X1 wiring as it runs up the wall to the PJ. Then I am going to paint it all to match the walls. I think this will provide as unobtrusive of a wiring arrangement as is possible without running in wall.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mullet,

My theater is in my finished basement with a finished ceiling so I to had to figure out to get Power and cables to my projector which was going to be ceiling mounted. I thought about the raceway for the cables but was still left with the problem of having no power outlet on or near the ceiling location. I finally decided to run the wire in the ceiling and down the opposite wall where I had power and my cable and components would be.

a little dry wall work and some paint to cover the one hole I had to make near the ceiling/wall where they meet and you cannot tell where I made the hole. You can check out pictures of my installation if you look in the avs gallery. Just click on the gallery button on the top of my reply and that should take you there.

Good luck,

Steve

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
There are several manufacturers for the type of "raceway" or wiring duct that has been referred to here. You can look for the names like Panduit, Walker Duct, or Wiremold. Home Depot probably has Wiremold. I have a similar situation and I am going to just run everything through the attic and drop into one wall with an opening about 2 feet from the floor at the back of my room. I am then planning on finishing out this opening with the exception of a small access panel and a piece of flexible tubing connected to an elbow which will exit the wall. This small pipe will then enter my component rack (yet to be built) and all of the wires will be connected to their respective gear. At least thats the way I hope it will work out. I feel your pain concerning the little lady. "When will you be done with this room?!" Yeah, yeah, yeah.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I got the raceway/conduit from Lowes. The wife approved of it and we may even paint it to match the color of the wall. However, it is very small in diameter (more like a rectangle), so I might have to run two side by side. All I'm using is two 5' pieces with a corner to form an "L" from the back of the PJ down to the electrical outlet, but because I have 4 cables coming down I need the 2 raceways...

Anyway, just my thoughts...

Later,

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'd try the wire-through ceiling route if I were you. Chopping up and patching drywall isn't nearly as bad as is sounds, and the result is a much cleaner looking install than if you use those tack-on thingies from the hardware store. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tend to disagree with the last poster, since I am also using the wiring raceways. You have a pretty big projector hanging from your ceiling, it's not like the wire raceways will ruin some image of your room, which is already a movie theater anyways. I bought the niggest diameter raceyas they had, and fit all the wires into one. I ran them across the ceiling, across the corner of the room, and down to the component rack.

Sam

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have cathedral ceilings so there is no way on earth I can run the cables through the ceiling/walls. There is basically no attic access to any of the walls or ceilings in that room.

I need to go check out the raceways at Lowes. Home Depot had something similar, but they were obviously meant for computer cabling/office solutions. $13 for a 4 foot section. Plus all the elbow joints, it would have been about $200. I'll pass on that.

·
Registered
911 Posts
what about building some sort of "fake" ceiling beam tha is acutally a long hollow box. Can make it look like a rafter or paint it the same colour as te ceiling.

Colin.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UncleCemka
I tend to disagree with the last poster, since I am also using the wiring raceways. You have a pretty big projector hanging from your ceiling, it's not like the wire raceways will ruin some image of your room, which is already a movie theater anyways. I bought the niggest diameter raceyas they had, and fit all the wires into one. I ran them across the ceiling, across the corner of the room, and down to the component rack.
The question is, are you only disagreeing with me because you use the raceways? ;)

Of course we all have different opinions, but I strongly disagree that the raceways are a minor infringement on the room's overall aesthetics, and could be ignored because the presence of the projector already ruins it. At the risk of offending all you raceway users, I find them rather tacky and out of place in a well designed theater. You won't find many million $$ HT's using them, that's for sure. That said, there are always exceptions, and the original poster has no way of getting the wires above his cathedral ceilings; others simply find the drywall work involved too distasteful, and settle for the raceway approach. There are good reasons for both, but I don't think you can reasonably argue that the raceways don't detract from the room's aesthetics. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
There are ways to route wiring through ceilings that dont have access.. This involves cutting small sections of drywall out to run the cables. Once they are run, you just patch up the drywall using the peices that were cut out and then putty and paint. It IS messy, time consuming, and a little intimidating, but if you are after the look of a clean install, it might be worth it.

FWIW, I just spent 3 hours last night running my cabling through the ceiling for my X1. I installed blue boxes behind the projector in the ceiling and cut the back out of one of the boxes (this one was for the data). The other box was wired up as an outlet.. So, I've got an outlet on the ceiling now. :) Once I got that in, I pushed the cable up in the attic area and then crawled up into the crawlspace above the room. I got lucky with my cables as there is a shower with lowered ceiling on the other side of the wall from where I wanted to run the cables.. so i had easy access to about a foot of the upper backside of the wall.. Then just used a fish tape to pull the cable down through the wall and out another hole I cut for a 3rd box.

I had my cable running around the walls to get to my AV rack.. but running the cables out of sight really cleaned up the look of the theater. Now, I just need to get wall plates to put the finishing touches on.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I did the behind the wall and ceiling install using a fishtape. Makes for a very clean look after a little dry wall, spackle and paint. I finished the job with these "wire grommets" link below and a little split loom tubing. Part express.com carries 1 inch diameter split loom to nicely manage multiple cables. Also works great for component/speaker wire management.

http://www.officesupply.com/sku.cfm?...ible%20Grommet

·
Registered
48 Posts
I plan on using a raceway solution as it seems best for my application.

Quick question about running the svga, svideo and power lines in the same raceway. I think I remember reading that's a bad idea. Is that right?

·
Registered
93 Posts
He's probably trying to run the power cable from the outlet below to a ceiling mounted PJ. I had to do the same thing!

I did not notice any issues with the cables in the same raceway. Remember that most of them are very well shielded.

Later,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by margomaps
The question is, are you only disagreeing with me because you use the raceways? ;)

Of course we all have different opinions, but I strongly disagree that the raceways are a minor infringement on the room's overall aesthetics, and could be ignored because the presence of the projector already ruins it. At the risk of offending all you raceway users, I find them rather tacky and out of place in a well designed theater. You won't find many million $$ HT's using them, that's for sure. That said, there are always exceptions, and the original poster has no way of getting the wires above his cathedral ceilings; others simply find the drywall work involved too distasteful, and settle for the raceway approach. There are good reasons for both, but I don't think you can reasonably argue that the raceways don't detract from the room's aesthetics. :)
I'd have to agree that you won't find a million $ theater with raceways, but then you also won't have a PJ hanging down from the ceiling, it will automatically slide out from above the ceiling when you are watching a movie, and then hide when you are done. In that case, of course, the raceways would def look tacky, but in most our cases, when you have a PJ hanging down from the ceiling, it's just natural to expect wires neatly hidden along your walls and ceilings. What about electric plugs and light switches, do they infringe on the room's overall aesthetics? According to your logic they should, but everyone is just so used to seeing them, it's a non-issue. This is the new age of TV, and wires running from PJ's is just something we are all going to have to get along with, unless you are taking the million $ approach... Just my thoughts, not trying to offend anyone.

Sam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.