Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am going to be purchasing a entry level projector soon, possibly the X1, and had some questions. Since I will be using the projector with my HTPC for tv/movies/music/games I am looking into a 4:3 AR. But, since this will be through the computer I would also like the most resolution possible (currntly my screen resolution at home is 1280x1024.

My question is, if I were to buy a SVGA projector, would I be able to still have my computer display at least 1024x768 (XGA) or would I forever be stuck with 800x600?

Also, since I am pretty new to the projector scene, does anyone have any suggestions. I will be starting out in an extra bedroom that is approximately 12x13 with 8 foot ceilings. I will be using it through my computer for tv, movies, music, gaming, and regular computing. I am beginning to think about converting my garage into a true HT in the not too distant future (a year down the road possibly). And, most importantly, I would like to keep the cost under 1500.

Thanks in advance,

Schwin97

·
Registered
452 Posts
The X1 will simply scale down the output to 800X600 resolution. You will still see your desktop as a higher resolution, but it will be projected on a 800X600 display. The net result is that the pixels are not 1 to 1 w/ your output. This is fine for games and movies, which both will look wonderful. However, anything really text intensive such as MS Office and/or research-type web surfing is going to suffer a bit. You will be able to read the text, but it won't be crystal clear. So, the real question you have to ask is the type of work you are going to do on your computer most of the time. If it's the latter, then you should consider an XGA. Unfortunately, that comes at a premium...more $$$ and possibly less lumens/contrast, etc... As with all first decisions, you really have to analyze what you will be doing primarily w/ your PJ and weigh that against the different variables.

Good Luck

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree with TurboDog1, text is the only reason you might want to go to an XGA projector. I have a computer feeding my X1 1024x768 and thinks it looks great. I have a VGA switch box to use my monitor when I dont want to fire up the X1. I use a 96" 4x3 screen and leave the X1 set to 4x3 and let the computer software (Power DVD, Zoom Player) send the correct aspect ratio.

I converted my garage into a family room and could not be happier. It increased the size of our house 400 SqFt and freed up a bedroom. The only thing you need to be concerned about is heating and cooling the room. I ran a air duct through the attic into the room. I will try and get some pics soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.