AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to buy a Da-Lite Model B measuring 37.5"x67". I'll be using an X1 in 16:9 mode or native mode. Does anyone forsee a problem with aspect/measurement combo?

TimR>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Viewing distance is a problem. The room is not very deep because of a sloped ceiling - so I'm limited to about a 12 foot viewing distance max.

I asked my original question because while I was on the phone with ProjectorPeople.com yesterday, the girl tried to talk me into a 4:3 screen. She tried to tell me that a 16:9 screen won't work right with the X1. I don't think she's right, but I thought I'd double check with the fine experts here at AVS Forum.

Thanks for any input y'all can give.

TimR>

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have X1 and 4:3 60X80 screen with 11.5' viewing distance. If I have to do it over again, I'll go with a 45X80 16:9 screen since I watch mostly widescreen DVD and HDTV but the main reason for recommending a 16:9 is that you don't need to change the screen with future PJ upgrade. Chances are that the upgrade be a 16:9 pj for most people.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am watching from 12 feet, a Da-Lite B , 4:3 ,100 inch diagonal. No problems here, maybe a bit too big when I'm in 4:3, but when I am in 16:9, I think it is just about right (for me)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a da-lite model b (60x80) and an x-1. I sized the screen to cover the bay window it is in front of. The projector is mounted on the ceiling about 10.5 feet from the screen so it doesn't come close to filling the screen width. I would say that the x-1 is a 4:3 projector so get a 4:3 screen and don't worry about the "extra" screen when you are running in 16:9 or worse 2.35:1. There are times I watch cable sdtv at the full 4:3 size. I've actually "zoomed" the image smaller as it's too big at my 10 foot viewing distance. But at this distance as matzamiller said 16:9 is perfect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
too big???!!!???! is that possible????:D

Brad

·
Registered
5 Posts
We've got the X1 and a 84x48 16:9 screen. Originally we had it shooting down the long dimension of our room (viewing distance about 16 feet), but just recently rearranged it to shoot down the short dimension, I'd say about 12-13 feet. At first I was worried it would be too close (screen door), and though we're close to the edge of viewability, we are enjoying it so much more at this distance. If you move up about 1.5 feet you're totally seeing the pixels, but from where we are it really feels more like a movie theater and less like a big 'ol plasma on the other side of the room.

scottyu

Quote:
Originally posted by timr21
I'm getting ready to buy a Da-Lite Model B measuring 37.5"x67". I'll be using an X1 in 16:9 mode or native mode. Does anyone forsee a problem with aspect/measurement combo?

TimR>

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm planning on doing the same setup: X1 and Model B (probably 92" 16:9). I have a few questions that if answered will hopefully prove useful to timr21 as well as myself.:

1) Which material do you recommend on the Model B?

2) Is the CSR option on the Model B worth it?

3) Does a manual pull down screen like the Model B need to be anchored in some way at the bottom to help keep it straight with air currents? Or is the bottom heavy enough to keep it straight?

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the high powered Dalite Model B with CSR and am very happy with it. I adjusted the screen rollup speed to what I wanted it at. I'm using a NEC 260k with it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
3) Does a manual pull down screen like the Model B need to be anchored in some way at the bottom to help keep it straight with air currents? Or is the bottom heavy enough to keep it straight?
The Deluxe Model B has a tension arm to help keep the screen straight.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have an X1 and I'm using the Da-Lite 92" HCMW deluxe model B with the tensioning feature.

It works very well keeping the screen taut but there are waves top to bottom almost vertically on the left and right 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen. These are only noticeable in very bright scenes and even then are not totally distracting or bothersome. Some people wouldn't be able to stand the waves but this screen really pulls out the detail from darker scenes and it is extremely well made and easy to roll up and down and lock into position.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mystery
I have an X1 and I'm using the Da-Lite 92" HCMW deluxe model B with the tensioning feature.

It works very well keeping the screen taut but there are waves top to bottom almost vertically on the left and right 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen. These are only noticeable in very bright scenes and even then are not totally distracting or bothersome. Some people wouldn't be able to stand the waves but this screen really pulls out the detail from darker scenes and it is extremely well made and easy to roll up and down and lock into position.
I'm one of those people who hates waves.:D

I have a screen now with vertical waves that really become bothersome on bright scenes and when the camera does big sweeping panoramas.

I was thinking about getting the Model B, Hi Power, with CSR because I was hoping this wouldn't be a problem. Would it be better to get Model C HiPower? (couldn't afford CSR with Model C )

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
To be honest I don't see how CSR helps reduce waves at all. When I had a model B delx. I figured out that waves formed from the screen being in the rolled position and formed from the pressure points when it was rolled. I do'nt see how having a system that makes the screen being rolled up controlled would make any difference in waves since the waves are being formed while it is rolled up. Im my opinion it is a waste of money and so is the model B delx., the tension arm made the left corner roll up on my screen since the tension arm would hang to the left when it was rolled up, creating uneven weight.

Right now I use a tripod and like it very much but the problem is if I want to go bigger and to do that I'd need a bigger ceiling and that isn't happening any time soon so I'll probably just go with a model B high power with none of the other crap that they use to pad the bill. But this is just my opinion from my experience, some people may have had more posiitve experiences.

Chris

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
BTW, careful not to go to big with the X1, I used to own one and loved it other then the damn screen door, which is way I found a why I did some extra work to go XGA. Also, the X1 is a pretty dim projector in film mode especially watching a movie in 16:9, so again careful with screen size. There is nothing wrong with going with a 4:3 screen now and then when you get a 16:9 projector don't pull the screen down all the way and if it doens't fit perfect just mask the probably 2-4 inch blank spot with black poster board or something.

Chris

·
Registered
226 Posts
Go bigger. I'm at 10-12 ft and have a 80 x 60. If I was to do it again I'd go with the 16:9 80 x 45. I mostly watch widescreen DVD or HDTV in 16:9. HAd to make a DIY masking system on my 4:3.

BTW I have the Model C w/csr VS material, I seem to be one of the few without a wave issue with this material. I do not tension the screen.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am buying the SP4805 and the Model B Hi power 42" x 75" was reccomended to me. I will be putting the PJ on a table 11 feet from the screen. This seems like a small screen? the throw ratio on the 4805 is 1.74-2.09. All you screen experts let me know if I could go larger or this is the right screen.

Thanks,

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.