AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend came by the other day to check out my X1, and brought his XBOX. One thing that suprised me was that any text looked much smoother than subtitles or whatever on a DVD. Where a DVD's text often looks pixilated, the same size text from the XBOX looked great. He had the attachment which allowed the XBOX to be hooked up via S-Video. Anyone have any ideas why the XBOX text would look so much smoother? Could it be that the XBOX outputs much higher resolution than a DVD? I admit I'm not very up on the XBOX...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Well one the xbox just plain sucks as a dvd player.Two: I couldnt stand what the xbox looked like with composite hookup,svid was ok,but Id never use anything but component for xbox anything else I couldnt stand looking at when projected.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose I should make myself a bit clearer. I didn't try the XBOX as a DVD player, I was refering to difference between XBOX video game text and text from a DVD played on my own Panasonic DVD player...

The reason this interests me so is that my biggest complaint with my X1 (love it) is that text looks pixilated. I know that this is a function of it's resolution and my screen size (9'4" wide). It just suprised me when text on the video games seemed much smoother.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It may be the compression/DVD quality is poor. I am amazed at the differences between the feed quality of various HD programming, and many complain about the lack of quality in many DVD's. The clearer text from the XBox likely has nothing to do with the X1 or setting, bur reflects wat even a SVGA projector is capable of, and the large picture reveals compression artifacts oof the DVD. Alo, certain clocker fonts have a less pixelated apearance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Could it be that the text on the xbox was aliased, as they would be if they were recorded into a movie-scene of a game or on 3d surface in a game, while the subtitles on the DVD were not?

-

Chris

·
Registered
223 Posts
Perhaps you are comparing the interlaced DVD signal of the Xbox to a progressive or interlaced signal through component inputs from another DVD player? In that case, you'd comparing the internal de-interlacer of the subject DVD versus the Faroudja de-interlacing present in the X1. It is generally understood that feeding the X1 an interlaced signal over s-video is preferable to using the component/rgb input due to the Faroudja chip.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, although it's a progressive scan DVD player, I'm using the interlaced S-video feed (as I did with the XBOX). The X1's internal deinterlacing really is impressive. So much so that I feel no need to try a progressive signal from the DVD player. Well, I suppose I'd try it if I had the RGB to S-Video adapter, but can't be bothered to get it for what would be by most accounts a marginal improvement at best. Still wonder about the better text on the XBOX though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.