AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using this combo? I'm considering the 288 to hookup VGA directly to VGA of X1. Is anyone doing this? Would VGA put out a better image since it's not being converted to component? If not, are you using interlaced or progressive? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just ordered the 288 and should receive it this week. I also have the X1 and will be trying the VGA port first, but will compare the component output and give you my thoughts. I have to warn you, however, that I don't believe I have particularly sensitive eyes when comparing minor differences in PQ - the difference will likely have to be fairly dramatic for me to really sense it.

Also, it may be that long VGA cables do not hold the signal as well as long component cables, and that could be one reason that output appears to show lesser PQ.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, I received the 288 and VGA cable yesterday. The 288 was double boxed from Ecost, which I wasn't expecting. It arrived unharmed, although, unfortunately, it doesn't like to sit level on a level surface - the legs are uneven, requiring me to prop one up with something. That is not something I have experienced in a DVD player before. Regardless, I hooked it up and briefly watched it last night. I had to hook the S-video up to my TV to get the settings all right as just cycling through them (VGA/AV, P Scan, NTCS/PAL) wasn't working. Finally I got it thru the X1. Just a first impression here, but my initial reaction was that the picture was a good bit sharper than with my other DVD players thru component. I was very pleased with the image I had and I believe I got a fairly significant jump in PQ for under $80 - the 25' VGA cable was $20. I did a brief test of converting the signal to PAL, and that made the menu screen quite a bit sharper - the jury is still out on how it affects NTSC DVD's (I'll have to get some couch time in first). However, I could hear the color wheel on the X1 as it slowed from 7200rpm to 6000rpm for PAL. I'm a little worried that it may increase the RBE as I've effectively gone from a 2x color wheel to a 1.67x. We'll see. All in all, I think it was definitely worth what I paid and would still be a steal from Yamakawa Direct (as Ecost appears to be sold out). No sync issues, btw. Now I can run the components to my DVD recorder thru the S-video adapter for improved PQ off TV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.