AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have my HTPC hooked through a Radeon Pro 9600 and purple dongle to my X-1 VGA input. I was playing around with it and Powerstrip a bit last night and the only resolution I could get to display without overscan was 960 x 720. Everything else ends up bigger than the screen (so it mouse scrolls) or with large amounts of underscan or overscan.

Now TV looks pretty good at that res, but I can't get any PC games to play at that resolution. When I start the game, the X-1 goes blue screen until I Alt-Tab out of the game.

Anyone using this the X-1 through the ATI adapter for PC Gaming? If so, could you share what resolution you use? What res do you use for a desktop as well?

BTW, I'm using a 96" 16:9 screen. 3.7 catalyst drivers, latest Powerstrip and I have all the DIP switches except 540P set to on with the DVI to Component dongle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm not sure I understand why you're using the purple dongle. Why not just feed it directly from the 9600Pro? If it is a DVI interface card, then you don't need the dongle, but a DVI-VGA converter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Elvis
I'm not sure I understand why you're using the purple dongle. Why not just feed it directly from the 9600Pro? If it is a DVI interface card, then you don't need the dongle, but a DVI-VGA converter.
I am going to ask the same question. You should connect the VGA output from your HTPC directly to X1.

·
Registered
452 Posts
As far as the image size, you may need to play around with the Aspect Ratio toggle on the X1. Can't remember which setting it is, but this should take care of it....I think it's a matter of setting it to 4:3. You probably have it set to native which is going to display at full resolution w/out scaling it down to fit the 800X600 of the PJ.

Good Luck

BTW....I use 1024X768 for my desktop and gaming. The only time I toggle back to 800X600 is when I do something text intensive, etc....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use the dongle to component as I use my H/K AVR325 for switching. My Panny RP62 DVD is also running component to the X1 through the reciever. I run a VGA - component braekout from the Receiver to the X-1.

For 4:3 the 800x 600 and the 1024x 768 work fine, but my screen is fixed 16:9 so if I put it in 4:3 I get the spill over the borders and onto the wall. I may end up having to buy a 4:3 100" pull down dalite for gaming purposes, but I wanted to avoid it.

BTW, there's a huge difference between the S-Video out and the Component adapter for the Radeom. I can actually read the text quite well with the adapter, but it was killing my eyes on the S-vid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.