AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been billed the last two months for overages on my home internet service. I assumed it was from my my step sons constant YouTube watching.

However, I was doing some optimizing on my network and the Xbox and came across the 'bandwidth usage' tab.

I haven't done anything in the last hour but watch cable (connected through the Xbox) and I've used 100mb+ and I'm watching it slowly tick up from this page. Is this normal?

The tab says I'm averaging 120gb per month. I only play BF4 a few hours per week and stream some Netflix.

Anyone care to share their usage details?

·
UHD Addict
37,976 Posts
I've been billed the last two months for overages on my home internet service. I assumed it was from my my step sons constant YouTube watching.

However, I was doing some optimizing on my network and the Xbox and came across the 'bandwidth usage' tab.

I haven't done anything in the last hour but watch cable (connected through the Xbox) and I've used 100mb+ and I'm watching it slowly tick up from this page. Is this normal?

The tab says I'm averaging 120gb per month. I only play BF4 a few hours per week and stream some Netflix.

Anyone care to share their usage details?
Are you in the preview program? That has regular updates which means more downloads. Maybe that is why your usage is higher than you expect? Plus any game updates etc.

Although I'm only at 24.18GB used on my secondary XBOne this month.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not in the preview program. I just found it realm strange that it was slowly going up while on the bandwidth page.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hmm. I want to say when streaming HuluPlus or AmazonVideo my xbox averages 350-400 mb/hr; Pandora around 90-100mb/hr. However, if I'm watching over-the-air TV through my xbox or playing a non-multiplayer game it drops to 3-5mb per hour.

Perhaps you have a streaming app open in the background? Did you switch from something before watching cable? I usually manually 'Quit' out of all apps and games when I'm done [mostly because sometimes they freeze/get glitchy when I return back to them].

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That may be it. I just go home and switch tasks. Is there a proper way to quit the games/apps?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is there a proper way to quit the games/apps?
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/apps/how-to-close-xbox-one-app-or-game

"How to close an Xbox One app or game
If you encounter a problem with an Xbox One app or game, or if you just want to switch to a different one, it’s easy to close the app or game you’re using. Here’s how:

1. In the game or app, press the Xbox button. [Go to home screen]
2. Verify that the big application tile is highlighted, and then press the Menu button.
3. Select Quit."

Menu button = the former Xbox 360 'Start' button.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts