AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm renting, so I can't punch holes in the walls. The room has a drop ceiling however, so I could just replace that panel if I needed to. The question is, can a drop ceiling handle some kind of mount like that? Would I need to brace it somehow?

Thanks,

MP

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I wouldn't do it that way. If the X1 falls, its a good chance its broken for good. If you can, mount from a back wall into studs. Have you heard of Mandarax's X1 Mount? Cost around $90/so... I have it and use that. I don't know if he still sells it, but that would be my first choice. You can always cover up the screw holes after you leave with a little plaster. Some guys have gone with Radio Shack wall speaker mounts, but that requires a lot of custom work matching up the screw holes and such....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Above the drop ceiling panel, you will find joists. Attach your mount to the joists, cut an opening in the ceiling panel and run the mount through the opening.

Drop ceilings are the greatest thing in the world for a front projector, it makes hiding the wiring so much easier.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't use a wall mount, it's wood paneling in the room :(. I'll look for the ceiling joists. Thanks for the advice.

-MP

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
This is how I mounted my projector with a tile ceiling.

I figured I didn't have a choice in how to mount it.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...7033jmDcMJbRvQ

I told a guy to purchase some chains and mdf from Home Depot.

(This projector mount that uses chains and mdf will be universal and should work with any lcd or dlp projector).

The reason I didn't wall mount my projector is because my room is very long. Of course I didn't buy a projector mount made specifically for my projector because I couldn't grasp how to install a projector mount with a tile ceiling. (the kind made specifically for the projector). This way if my projector bites the dust, I haven't wasted my money on a $300+ projector mount made for a specific projector.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting... what do you have holding the chains into the ceiling tiles? Some sort of large washers or something to disperse the weight?

-MP

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I think they are screwed into the joists using a ... don't know what it's called. If my digital camera was working I'd take pictures.

Hold on.

I'll go look and try to describe it.

I'm assuming that the chains came with this piece that screws into the joists.

I can't remember.

I also can't remember what's the max the chains can hold.

I'm pretty sure it's over 20lbs.

It might be 20lbs per chain.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhh... ok, thought the tiles were holding it up. Thanks for the description. Is there any reason to mount it upside down versus rightside up? How easy is it to switch it on/off when you need to?

-MP

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
Is there any reason to mount it upside down versus rightside up? How easy is it to switch it on/off when you need to?
For the X1 you have to mount it upside down if you are putting it near the ceiling. The image projects at an offset so that if it is table mounted it shoots up, and if it is ceiling mounted you have to flip the projector so that it shoots down. See your manual for info on the offset, or here:
http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/#5.2.2

If you hang it upside down using 4mm screws in the bottom of the case you should still be able to access all the buttons, but even if you end up covering the buttons on top of the projector you can do just about everything from remote (except a firmware upgrade).

The hard power off switch is on the side of the PJ, not the top, so it just flips to the other side when you turn the projector over.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You could replace one or 2 ceiling tile with painted wood and mount the projector to it with screws or a swiveling speaker mount. The 20lb RadShack one seems popular.

The metal rails that hold the tiles will support the weight of the PJ/wood as long as the weight is spread and you can easily add a few hanging wires to the rails if needed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hang my X1 using a wood panel positioned across the joints where the panels usually are in the drop ceiling. Will send you photos if you ask me by email, can't right now and probably will forget later...

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
madpoet,

I have a Sany projector and for sure stupid reason the manual says to unplug the power cable to power it off completely.

I think that's so crazy.

So, I had an electrician wire a wall switch that turns the projector off by pressing the switch.

I was wondering why Sany doesn't have an on/off switch that completely turns off the projector instead of unpluggin the power cable.

(This info comes straight from the manual)

markam,

Great minds do think alike.

;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.