AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, after reading seveal posts and thinking back over my viewing and minimal tweaking with the InFocus X1...I have come to a possible conclusion on some things.

First of all, it appeared to me, now that I think about it, that the Color Temp settings were reversed. Meaning, the Cool temp was the warmest (least blue) and the Warm and Warmer temps were cooler. Probably just a QC thing, easily fixable.

Also, and probably much more importantly, several people who have noticed the color accuracy problems I mentioned in my review have seen them using the component adapter...hmmm!

I believe that there might be a problem with the component adapter and that using the VGA or straight S-Video actually gives you the best picture with much more accurate colors.

I am going to experiment with this and see if I cant prove this theory to be correct. When I see posts from a long time respected member like Mr. Sorel raving about the colors and he is using VGA and S-Video...and I am seeing unaccurate colors using the component adapter it makes me wonder.

I don't know when I will get around to this little test, but I will keep you posted. Maybe someone can run some tests themselves using AVIA or something similar and see if my theory isn't right.

Take care...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yes, I mentionned both issues in my previous posts

The most curious/worriesome is indeed that it seems

I get better color alignement/rendition on s-video than

component input... which I find very disturbing (specially

after paying almost 200 dollars on component cables)

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this though :)

I plan on taking more pictures to try to show the problem,

maybe this coming week end

Hopefully there is a "fix" and early adopters won't get

screwed (hint hint infocus)

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Yes, I have been raving about the color rendition, but please note that my observations were based on the VGA input, not on the s-video input. I was less impressed with s-video, based mostly on the poor shadow detail, and thus really didn't take the time to judge color accuracy. But when I attached the X1 to my HTPC and allowed my color control to take place in the Radeon drivers and Theater Tek software, the colors were quite exquisite, telling me that the projector itself is very capable. If you have the ability to feed the X1 from VGA, I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like I am heading over to jack's tonight with my hP laptop (ze5185) Has an ATI card with 32 megs and running WinDvd we will feed VGA and S-video. Let's see what the difference is. Although, I am not that educated on the difference these video cards make. I know the Radeon 9000 is awesome and almost got a Dell laptop with that card, but the final $1000 difference with everything else the same(512 MB sdimm, 2.4 gig pent 4, 60gb HD)made me settle for Hewlett Packard. I am also talking with Steve Smartcombe about a filter, after seeing what a difference it made on Jack's Sanyo plv-60. I have access to all software titles so, bob, any suggestions on dvd players etc. for the laptop???

·
Registered
15 Posts
hmmmmm, vga in skips the faroudja according to Bob Williams the In Focus guy in the other thread. Well not exactly VGA, but the 1080i, 720p, 546p etc. the faroudja handles the 480i through component to vga adapter, svideo, and composite.... interesting since I would like to use the chip for my HTSystem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Add me to the list of eary adopters that can confirm that the colors over s-video are more accurate then over component.

I ran a film for a movie producer friend of mine off of a sony PVW-2800 betacam deck in both s-video and component and the s-video was FAR superior.

·
Registered
15 Posts
and the vga color "seems" even better. I say seems because we thoroughtly messed the color up at the end(setting up color on ati mobility card in laptop and contrast etc on projector....) !! .... we ran side by side comparisons last night, I am sure jack will open a new thread with settings and all, and I took a bunch of a/b picturese, which will get posted soon with the x1 vs. plv-60. We also put the ccr 20 lens he uses on sanyo, on mine. We liked the effect after taking 10 off of the red .

At around 12:30 a.m. my feeling was kind of screw Avia, I will set up 'my' color preferences although our calibrated user 3 setting was noticeably better than video or film (or presentation for that matter... which was not that bright????? was expecting a bright washed out picture.... wasn't too far from video????)

The x1 chopped off the bottom of the 16:9 picture. will post pics on that. sanyo had 16 pixels in one part of frodo's eye while the x1 had 8-9, and the color superiority of the sanyo became more apparent last night, but that was to be expected. I don't know how close we will be able to tweak the x1, but we are having a lot of fun. The projector is still awesome for the money....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.