AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my X1 won't boot up...it's about 9 months old and has maybe 750 hours on it...never been abused...just hangs on the ceiling.

I thought it might be the bulb (and it still might be...how can a person tell if a bulb is burnt out by looking at it?).

I was able to install a replacement bulb, and the same thing keeps happenning, so I'm thinking it has something to do with the color wheel or whatever controls the color wheel.

When I turn the X1 on, the color wheel sounds like it is ATTEMPTING to spin up....the sound is normal (no squealing or anything like that), but the wheel will spin up for about 1/2 second, and then spin back down...actually it never really spins to normal speed...it just kinda ramps up then ramps back down.

In a way it reminds me of a car trying to start.

The projector keeps cycling the wheel over and over again...I watched it for about 3 minutes before I shut it off...I unplugged it...changed the bulbs back and forth a couple times, etc.

Here's a strange thing...with the bulb completely out, the wheel will spin up and KEEP SPINNING (though I'm not sure it's normal speed)...it's only when either of the bulbs is in place does the wheel ramp up and back down.

I'll be calling inFocus tomorrow, but anybody got any ideas?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Not sure this is going to help, but just FYI the X1 uses the light from the bulb to sync the color wheel speed (it is optically sync'd, not mechanically like some other PJs).

So that is probably why you are seeing strange color wheel behaviour in conjunction with the bulb problem.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update on color wheel behavior:

I now don't believe I have a color wheel problem.

If there is NO bulb installed, the wheel spins normally.

If either of my two bulbs ARE installed, that's when the wheel spins up and back down.

When I hit "power off" (twice in succession of course), the wheel then spins up normally again for a few seconds...I guess as it's supposed to for the power-down procedure.

But this leaves me with a semi-unbelievable scenario:

1) My original bulb has gone out at just about 750 hours, and

2) The replacement bulb I bought is ALSO burnt out!

So maybe there's still something else going on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.