AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing with the colour temp settings on my new X1. (feed VGA from PC)

While I always use it in Film mode (which apparently turns off the white segment of the colour wheel) i have noticed that by default in film mode colour temp is "warmest"

Having a play with the temp (v 4.1 firmware)

Warmest is actually warmest

warm is actually coolest

cool is actually warm.

While warmest seems to add a dirty tinge to the whites it does make it a bit more watch able.

I have found that even warm (which is really the cool setting) that the whites are too bright and over powering. Any tweeks for this as warmest is proably a little too yellowy if ya know what i mean? Is the white section still disabled in cool and warm settings in film mode?

I mainly just want to reduce brightness in bright sky background out door scenes while keeping detail in darker scenes.

D

Also the 4800 apparently has better gamma settings than the X1. Given i use a HTPC i can tweak this. Does anyone know if it is just general gamma up or down or is applied more specficily?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Is there a 4800 firmware that you can just download and install....without having to mess with code? I wish there was an "exe" ready install. I really hate not having color and tint control...On htpc, the colors are just amazing!!! I wish the next upgrade would have the color and tint functions of the X1.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't he code in the 4800 firmware need to be modified? Ie std code on their site will not work (may stuff the X1?)

Should not the same be achieveable in my HTPC using say me radeon overlay controls (of saturation, gamma etc etc) or even powerstrip which gives even more gamma control?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I've tried the 4800 firmware on my x1 and it seemed to effect my blacks in that they were not as deep had a green ting to them so i checked presentation mode and there was no increase in brightness like with the x1 firmware this leads me to believe maybe the 4800 does have a different color wheel...one with the clear section removed. If so is blacking out the clear section on the x1 color wheel possible with the 4800 firmware to prevent sync issues ? Has anyone had a 4800 open yet and seen the color wheel?

p.s i did post the same question on a 4800 thread

thanks

Tim

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As i stated in other thread, hardware of the 4800 and X1 have been stated by many to be identical. This obviously would include colourwheel, im sure if it was different this would be noted MUCH more in forums etc etc. Perhaps the firmware just ALWAYS disables the white segment even on presentation, where the X1's firmware enables it on presentation>

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoonfed
Perhaps the firmware just ALWAYS disables the white segment even on presentation, where the X1's firmware enables it on presentation>
Hm, I doubt that. That would mean the white segment is completely useless on the 4800 and I guess they wouldn't have added the presentation mode in the presets. They also couldn't use the 1000 Lumen spec because without the white segment it's only around 600 or 700 Lumen.

I'm always using presentation mode but I would love to have gamma control. Try to tweak your X1 in presentation mode, I think it's really worth the effort. When I switch from presentation mode to film mode highlights are suddenly very dull.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Could be its always on and they adjusted the gamma to compensate...that would explain why my blacks seemed washed out slightly....of course it could have been the DVD i watched but i did test the same DVD after i switched back to the x1 firmware. It seemed to have better blacks. but without comparing the two side by side i cant be sure. I might try the photocell trick mentioned in another thread to measure the brightness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.