AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night hung out at my boss' house to check out his new HT which includes, among other things (like two awesome Vandy subs) the X1 PJ.

I was really critical at first when he told me of his budget projector plans but after seeing the X1 in action I can testify that it's well-worth the Sub-$1K he paid. Defocusing can help with the screen-door if he finds it bothersome (it was easy to ignore for the most part with normal video material) and rainbows, while I saw them, weren't really distracting. Colors were surprisingly accurate (no calibration yet) and black level was decent too.

Ok...so here's the one thing I noticed that I wanted to inquire about. I saw a subtle but constant issue with "contrast pumping". It almost seemed like the PJ was trying to dynamically adjust contrast/black level given the image content on the screen...like one of those "black level boost" features some displays employ. There were two ways this seemed to exhibit itself:

1. A sort of grayscale "streaking" from left/right that reminded me of when my CRT television displays a bright white object in a dark background...or a dark objected in a bright background...and the area to the left/right of the object apear a darker/lighter shade that the rest of the background. Like when credits roll for a movie and you have white text on a black background...it looks like the black area to the left/right of the text is a darker shade of black than the rest of the background.

2. A strange sort of "pumping" when a scene would change from dark to light or the other way round...like it took the "mystery cirucuit" a second or two to "lock" and decide how to adjust the contrast for the image. So going from a dark scene to a light scene (like with snow...really bright) the image would "pump" and get really dark and then brighten up...like turning a dimimer switch to raise/lower the lights.

DVD player is panny progressive (can't remember which one...but switching from "darker" to "lighter" black level on the DVD player didn't affect this).

Any thoughts? Is this something that the X1 just does? Is this the first anyone's heard of this? Maybe the DVD player? Some hidden menu adjustment for dynamic contrast/black level boosting that can be disabled?

The picture is still very watchable...and indeed I was the only one who noticed...but still would be nice to get the picture as perfect as possible!

Let me know if you know something!

dave :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.