AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to return my demo tomorrow, but I'm getting my own X1 right away!

Played with it a bit more last night and this is what I noticed: when using X1's zoom function when diplaying widescreen material from a dvd player trough s-video (or component) you can scroll to the left or to the right thus revealing a portion of the picture not showing otherwise. Just to make it clear: this is BEFORE any zoom has been applied and with no overscan.

When I noticed that I compared one of the 1:1.85 movies to what was displaying on my Wega TV and indeed the X1 seems to be cropping the picture on the sides. I thought from the start that it wasn't somehow wide enough...

I thought 480 horizontal lines were scaled to 450, but why the sides?

I also noticed that when running overscan test patterns form Video Essentials the image isn't centered - there is no overscan, but the image is shifted up and to the left. Is there any way to correct it? Perhaps through the service menu. Does anyone know the code to get there?

I can't wait to get my own X1 to make it just perfect!

piesek

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by piesek
I thought 480 horizontal lines were scaled to 450, but why the sides?

I can't wait to get my own X1 to make it just perfect!

piesek
I believe it's cropping some of the image to achieve 450 pixel height, thus it has to crop the image from the sides too. 450 * 1.78 = ~800 pixels. It does this to avoid having to downscale the image and on the flipside it ends up cropping a major portion of the image. If I had a choice, I would rather have it downscaling...

You can avoid the cropping by using a HTPC with a 800x600 resolution, letting the computer do the scaling.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So doesn't anybody know sevice menu access code for X1? Or perhaps it wasn't really needed so far... That's actually good news, I think.

Nevertheless I wouldn't mind taking a peek in there, just of curiosity -perhaps this awesome PJ can still be tweaked to even greater perfection (if there is such thing) when I get mine.

piesek

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.