AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an X1. I recently made my own 30' run of component video using Canare V3-CF5B 75Ohm coax and Canare RCA plugs. I am running the video into the 480i component in, with the component->svid adapter. My DVD player is a non-progressive Pioneer, DV-525. It's actually quite old. 3-4 years maybe.

My previous set-up was a temporary 8' S-Video cable; the 30' run is necessary for the permanent ceiling install. I chose the canare system because it should be overkill for noise rejection, and I've had bad experiences with >20' S-Video runs.

The cables seem to work great.

In my comparisons to the S-Video setup, I looked at Finding Nemo. I noticed that the color gradations of water are much more apparent using component. That is, whereas with s-video the water was smooth; using component, the steps in color are more obvious.

Although less aesthetically desirable, my initial reaction is that this is an indication that the component setup is better. The chroma bandwidth is higher, and the limiting factor in displaying colors has become the DVD player (or the DVD).

What do you guys think? Agree/disagree & why?

Gabe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Asyou are using a non-progressive DVD player, you should use the s-video input to take advantage of the excellent deinterlacer built into X1. The component input of X1 does not do deinterlacing.

The color "gradation" as you call it, is probably due to the interlaced nature of the signal being viewed through the component input. With the s-video, the Faroudja deinterlacer would provide you a progressive signal (albeit a/d'ed, deinterlaced, and d/a'ed internally in X1) which yields much more solid and smoother rendition of the original image.

Until you get a progressive scan DVD player, stick with s-video.

Regards,

·
Registered
9 Posts
BleakShore,

Gabe nell stated he is using the component to s-video adapter, so he is taking advantage of the deinterlacing built into the X1.

I spent last weekend ceiling mounting my X1 and running 50' long cables from my projector to my DVD player and receiver........as my banged up hands will show.:rolleyes: . I used standard coax cables for my component hook-up and it looks great to me. I also ran a 50' s-video cable, but I have yet to try it out. I'm a little concerned after reading you had problems with a 20' S-video run.:( The S-video cable is not hooked up to anything right now anyways, so if it doesn't work to great I'll live I guess. I figured while I was running everything else I better run a S-video also just in case I need it down the road. I did run a 4th coax for standard TV viewing.........running 4 coax thru walls is a treat!!

KJ

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I have the 480i component hooked in where it should be, using the adapter, and it is getting processed by the faroudja.

Quote:
I spent last weekend ceiling mounting my X1 and running 50' long cables from my projector to my DVD player and receiver........as my banged up hands will show.
Heh... it's nasty crawling around there ... exposed nails, dust, insulation. I wore old jeans, sweatshirt, boots, work gloves (key) and dust mask (very key).

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
gabe nell - if svideo looks better when matched with your dvd player, why not stick with it unless you are looking towards upgrading the dvd player soon? That isnt necessarily bad. The whole purpose of the X1 having this on the Svideo line is just so that you can hookup any present day dvd player and still get the best video.

The more conversions in the line with adapters the more likely you'll lose signal strength and attract noise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
>>>>Until you get a progressive scan DVD player, stick with s-video.

I have the ae500, and it IS BETTER with S-Video cable, and my DVD player supports component prog. scan, which LOOKS WORSE than interlaced component output.....

the best is S-video, at least on the ae200 AND ae500 I use ( waiting to sell 200 etc etc )

just goes to show, u cant trust whats supposed to be ' the best '

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.