AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my demo and WOW! This thing ROCKS 10X more than I was expecting! Some of the negatives I've heard I don't even notice, and I'm a person who is CONSTANTLY messing with my 55" HD-Ready TV taking off the screen doing focus, convergence and all that stuff (so, I'd say I'm somewhat picky. Not overly, but just a little bit picky).

I recently won an Sony VPH-1031Q CRT projector that I was really looking forward to. Even though it will most likely (after properly setup) project a better picture, it will require much work and it won't be as big.

What initially surprised me is the brightness (this is my first PJ). I had a lot of ambient light when I got started and the image really surprised considering how much ambient light there was.

I am proud to say I am projecting a 100 inch WIDE image and it looks incredible. I fired up T2 after a minute of settings adjustments. Unfortunetely, I am projecting on a white wall that is not smooth, it is designed to be kind of splotchy with thick coated white splotches that make the wall pretty much 3D. I was expecting horrible pixelation, screendoor & rainbows. So far, none of that even when I get pretty close. I love this thing!

It rocks! I now want to get a screen and maybe some filters. PS: I'm currently using S-Video only. So, I have yet to see what Component to S-Video or VGA looks like. Wow. Later.

· Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My computer is literally 15 inches away from my approximately 9 foot diagonal image and I have no problem viewing the image with my face 2-3 feet from the screen. It actually looks surprisingly good, especially after hearing that sitting anywhere closer than 1.5-2.0X the width of the screen would be completely horrid. Maybe my wall is working miracles.

· Registered
2,189 Posts
Yeah Ive had mine almost two weeks.I also can not believe what I see.Im amazed at how good it looks and its well beyond what I thought it would be.Just wait,hook the pc to it and go download some high def samples for win media player 9.You wont believe it.....

Dvd looks good vga progressive.I have panny CP-72 and the s-vid and vga inputs loos almost identical.Which of course is a good thing.All I can say is im loving this as well....

· Registered
528 Posts
Mtyson,

Glad to hear you are enthused. I bought an X-1 yesterday, received my component to VGA cable today, and on Saturday my big screen tv is going to get picked up by the buyer. As long as he doesn't flake out, and I don't think he will, I will have Saturday and Sunday to start playing with it.

You say you are using a 100" screen, is that a 4:3, or 16:9 measurement? I am planning on about an 80" 16:9 screen which is close to 100" 4:3.

Greg Matty

· Registered
348 Posts
I don't understand how some people can't see the pixel structure and screendoor at close distances. I love my X1 to death, but after getting over the euphoria of the huge, nice picture, I became aware of the pixel-gap. It's small, but when the focus is as sharp as possible, it's visible (not bothersome) well beyond a distance 1.5 times the width of the screen (78" wide). If I look carefully I can even see it at 2x the screen width. Like I said, it doesn't bother me, and a slight defocus does wonders. But I'm honestly stumped when someone says they can't see the pixel gap when only a couple feet away from a 100" screen. You must have a magic screen surface!

· Registered
289 Posts
I do indeed see the pixel structure on bright scenes (skies and whites, for instance) and a slight blur using the focus lens did an adequate job. However, those sightings are only here and there, far between, and I'm just enjoying my movie too much to pay attention.

I've had my X1 for a week now. Still waiting for the component adapter to arrive so I'm using S-Video for now. For the budget, it is the most amazing of experiences! Add to that a nice sound system and the immersion is so complete that I'm enjoying this way too much to notice anything.

Heck, I watched the season premier of Enterprise last night on the big screen. TV signal being what it is, the flaws were huge and it bothered me big time at first. But then the enjoyment factor kicked in and I couldn't care less. :)

Call me a kid, that's how I am when I turn on the switch. ;)

· Registered
454 Posts
Quote:
I don't understand how some people can't see the pixel structure and screendoor at close distances.
I think it just bothers some people more. I'm sure everyone can see it. It doesn't bother me.

On the other hand, I can't stand when a TV has it sharpness turned way up and there is a slight 'edge' around everything. I notice that right away and I don't like it. I also notice when the convergence is a tiny bit off on my RPTV. These are very minor, but they bug me. Most people probably do not notice.

Pixelation/screendoor happens to bug you.

· Banned
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MTyson
I was expecting horrible pixelation, screendoor & rainbows. So far, none of that even when I get pretty close. I love this thing!
You were "expecting" all these terrible things because you have been reading too many posts by neurotic obsessive complusive types who get fixated on little flaws and blow them all out of proportion.

What has continued to amaze me about the X1 nitpicking is people seem to forget they are only paying $1000 for the projector. With all the hand wringing, they are acting like they took out a second mortage and spent $9000 on a plasma TV. I think this obsessive frenzy is being nurtured by RPTV and Plasma salesman who see cheap projectors cutting into their personal money train.

· Registered
152 Posts
>>I think this obsessive frenzy is being nurtured by RPTV and Plasma salesman who see cheap projectors cutting into their personal money train.

Amen, brother.

I can't imagine why anyone would buy a RPTV once they've seen an X1! I'm projecting onto a crappy DIY, and the pix is stunning.

When I started looking at front projectors four years ago, I was tempted to shell out 3k for an LCD projector that looked like you were watching tv through a kitchen collander. But hey, it was a Sony, right?

The X1 easily gives you what would have cost $9K just a few years ago.

I'm almost scared to think what a grand will buy in five years.

eric

· Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greg Matty,

At this time I'm projecting onto a white wall with textured paint. It's paint is like white splotches, so it's not just a flat smooth white wall.

I am projecting the image at about 100 inches wide (not diagonal) for both 4:3 & 16:9.

To the others who replied. Maybe it's the 3-D textured paint keeping me from being botherd by pixels. I haven't seen screen door until I get extrememly close and even then it doesn't bother me any.

I am now a believer that some people are just extraordinarily picky sometimes. I feel bad for those of you who see rainbows though. So far, I haven't seen any. Thank God. I also try not to look for them, although I was thinking about trying to look for some. I decided it's best not to. No one else saw rainbows either. The picture is surprisingly close to my 55" HD-Ready rear projection set, even at 100" in width.

We watch from different distances too. Some are watching the screen from 10 feet away and some sit on the couch about 21 feet away. I still just looks flat out HUGE, since it covers nearly the entire wall.

Games, even Perfect Dark for N64 look great. I heard someone say the HT1000 looks $2,500 better than the X1, but I am having a very hard time believing DVDs could improve $2,500 more on a 100" wide screen.

Now I want to see the projector with a screen and also with darker walls. Anyone got any ideas for something that can be used to easily cover the walls to make them dark?

· Registered
922 Posts
Hehe, congrats. That's nearly the feeling I hadf with my demo (even though I saw some rainbows).

Which is why I went a bought my very own just today!

Looks like my motorcycle ride from Chicago to Madison is going to get rained out this weekend...and I don't think I'll mind one bit!

I even splurged on next day air to get my s-vid and VESA adapters to my door by tomorrow. Woo-hoo!

I too am in the "expected the worst and was pleasently surprised" camp. I've seen other PJ's, too. For 1k, for right now, this unit is a near perfect fit. Time to go watch lots of DVD and plat lots of games and spend a lot less time on avsforum :)

· Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Can't do paint. I live in an apartment buidling. Maybe I can find some light black sheets and hange them up.
If you mask (I used those adhesive thin black foam craft sheets) a border around your screen image, it definately helps with the quality of the picture. It made a big difference for me.

· Registered
575 Posts
I took a black king size sheet, hung it up and cut out the image area (100"). Used 1" x1/4 wood slats that were .97 cent at home depot, to attach the sheet to the wall. It works well for setting off the image. So well that I may not invest in a screen till after I get my hs20.

· Registered
152 Posts
MTyson-

ah, renting days.

I've seen a lot of guys who hang their pull-down screen in the valance area of their drapes. That's a pretty slick way to do it and it works for renting, too. You end up having to buy a manual screen, but hey can be had for a hundred and shipping. Then you just pick up some decent dark drapes for an appropriate sized window.

It may work depending on the room layout.

Another thing you might try is to float the screen out away from the wall.

eric

· Registered
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Can't do paint. I live in an apartment buidling. Maybe I can find some light black sheets and hange them up.
just because you rent doesn't mean you can't paint. usually if you return the apartment to its original condition when you vacate you won't have any problems. they can't charge you a fee if you left it as you found it.

· Registered
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by minister_prime
Greg, i just built a 16:9 50" X 88" screen. Looks great, i am very pleased with the picture. Just got my X1 a couple of days ago ....

here are some pics to my screen and pj mount
www.reiffer.ca/screen
minister,

Nice setup. Is that blackout cloth or higher end screen material? I plan to build a screen similar to yours on Saturday though I probably won't angle cut the 1 x 4's. I have zero mechanical tools as my shop of choice is a digital one. Hopefully the local lumber yard will cut a few boards to my predetermined length. In the near future, I will paint one of my walls a dark color and temporarily hang a king size black bed sheet over vertical blinds that cover the slider on the opposite wall. That should help blackout the image. I also like the idea of cutting a screen sized hole in a sheet and placing that on the wall with the screen.

This coming weekend is going to be a blast.

Greg Matty

· Registered
1,156 Posts
I had a similar "wow" experience when I bought my 10ht a couple years ago.

For all the whining and perceived negatives and comparisons over what is really minor things, when you really SEE these things for the first time it all goes out the window. You likely have the coolest TV on your block and no one who you show it to who doesn't read these forums isn't going to mention "Black levels" or "Rainbows" (probably)

Screen door, (the old, BAD screen door) they might mention though. That looked NASTY. Gave LCD a horrible rep :)

Oh well I'm ranting

Congrats :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.