AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my InFocus X1 demo unit yesterday. What a great program this is!

After checking it out in the office I set it up properly in a light-controlled enviroment and I put it through it's paces. I used LOTR, Attack of the clones, Moulin Rouge and Driven (I know it's a bad movie, but I find it to be excellent for demoing any video display) Those are all very good transfers, I must admit, but the picture was well, picture perfect. Greyscale, brightness and contrast all needed initial adjutments, but in th totally black room ona ~80" white matte screen the picture was stunning.

However, this unit is a demo with about 280 hours on it and I noticed couple of issues with it:

- There is something in the light path of the projector -it reflects the light giving you three in-line brighter patches of decreasing intensity (all pretty faint) The first one is just below the 16x9 projection area, the last one is outside of the 4X3 projection area. The spots do not move with the lens, but you can focus on them whem rotating it. I thought that dust problems are only common with lcd-based PJs - has anyone experienced it with X1?

- After about 4 hours of usage the image in film mode is "flickering" - not between on and off, but between dimmer and brighter. The variation is quite noticable and the frequency is about 4-5 X second - Is this a known issue with this model?

Those issues do not reflect on the otherwise excellent image quality that actually exceeded my expectations, but having this demo exhibit such fauls,

I am not to sure about it's built quality etc.

Generally I didn't find any posts here about any problems with the X!, as opposed to lcd projectors. Has anyone senn these or similiar issues on their X!?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine has 100 hrs on it and I've had no problems at all. The image is darn near as perfect as my eyes can tell. I upgraded the firmware to the newest after about 30 hrs and that seemed to help quit a bit. I have no dust problems but I am very good about taking care of expensive equipment...

·
Registered
144 Posts
The image flicker almost sounds like Macrovision protection kicking in - I'm confused why that would be though, so I'm probably mistaken.

Dust blobs could still be an issue with DLP - the only way to prevent them is to have a sealed light path, which the X1 doesn't have.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it is Macrovision, the frequency of the flicker seems to high and it is persisitent until you turn it down.

I din't know X1 can get dust blobs- I don't believe I've seem any posts about it before... If that's the case, how easy it is to clean it?

I trought dlp projectors are immune to this problem, and I had no idea X1 doesn't have a sealed light path. Oh well. one learns something every day.

Piesek

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.