AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the X1 for new setup. Have 18' distance before screen in a room with modest amount of ambient light control during day, but also have rear projection which will be used for day viewing mostly.

I went through the X1 calcs. Is the X1 good brightness at 18' from screen 100"Wide screen?

Seating will be 9 feet from screen.

Also looking to mount an inexpensive (can be somewhat DIY) screen in a dropped down ceiling built for screen. Would like remote drop down. Any suggestions here?

Thanks,

Darren

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
With a 100" wide screen and seating 108" away from it, I don't think brightness will be your biggest problem. That close to the screen I think you'll see screendoor and pixel structure, not to mention exaggerated artifacts in the source material. And having to whip your eyes back and forth across such a large image (relative to your seating distance) may also induce rainbows.

The rule of thumb for the X1 is that you should be seated at least 1.5 x your screen width. My personal preference is for 2 x. I know others sit closer, and some at less than 1.5, but I can't see how they aren't bothered by some of the problems I just mentioned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.