AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my X1 is on a Fed Ex truck and I'll be getting it tonight and retiring my CRT. My current setup feeds everything via VGA to the projector location with switching done by an Extron box. I think I've got a handle on everything but one aspect, but lets run them down to make sure:

DVD playback: This is done via HTPC. I'll adjust powerstrip and run at 1024x580

HDTV: Done via the RCA DTC-100 with VGA out. No brainer

Standard Directv: This is where I'm lost. In my current setup, with the HD monitor button pushed on the DTC-100, the output comes through the VGA port. My question(s) is how will the X1 handle this?? Will it use the Faroudja processing or is that unavailable via the VGA input? It is my understanding that the DTC-100 upconverts to 540p. Will this upconvert look as good or better than using S-Video and letting the X1 do the video processing?? My goal would be to keep everything VGA (since the cables are already run!)

Thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
the faroujda is only available thru Svid or composite or interlaced component.

I can't say which will look better but you can try running an Svid cable just for SDTV.

BTW, you might set you HTPC to the 800x600 equivalent of 1024x580 -- or else your HTPC will scale once, and then the X1 will scale it back down to fit in the 800 pixels-wide frame.

Mark

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have an X1 and a DTC 100.

I only use the HD/VGA out for HD signals, i.e. the D*** HD channels and HD locals.

Everything else I send out through the S Video port.

Most of the SD channels look jacked up on the X1 if they are sent out through the VGA port. I sure wish I could figure out how to fix that.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have a DTC 100 and hopefully soon an X1. I just finished the demo. HD looks amazing with this combo! The SD channels basically looked as good as the source. Some channels good other channels pretty bad. Based on what I had read previously, I plan to run both the VGA and S-Video between the two.

Mullet34, what do you mean by "jacked up" ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sort of on topic, I know I can adapt the DVI output of my DVD player to VGA for the X-1, but don;t know if the signals presented to the X-1 in this fashion will work or not, and whether I will be completely digital as I would if the X-1 had a true DVI input? Anyone know the answer?

Chris

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
DVI -> VGA is a digital to analog conversion. VGA is analog. Some DVI devices can send both the digital and analog RGB signals on the same cable (DVI-I). I am assuming your DVD player can do this and they are just using an adaptor to to get the analog signal of the DVI-I cable to the VGA port of the X1. A true digital DVI to Analog RGB would not be a simple adaptor but would have to be a powered device.

Hope this helps

Bob

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks Bob, that was exactly what I suspected. I gain nothing over "component to VGA" by going that route of DVI adapted to VGA(except possible noncompatibility problems). AH for the days of DVI equipped machines to come!

Chris

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
sewerrat-

I did not think the DTC-100's SD output through its VGA port looked any better than the s-video output. Nor did it look 'worse', so the 'existing cable' issue may be reason enough to just go with all-VGA output. To do this, you will have to do some switching of DTC-100 and X1 modes each time you go between HD, "4:3 hard-coded into a 16:9 signal", and SD. Both devices may need several settings for the various signal types-I have not tried to set this up. Using the DTC-100's s-video output, you only need to switch two items (DTC-100 output and X1 input).

Glacier 991-

What you gain with "DVI-to-VGA" versus component is the elimination of an analog signal conversion step (component to RGB inside the X1). RGB/VGA should be a cleaner signal than component.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I am using the VGA output from my DTC-100 directly into the VGA input of my X1. It looks fine.

I thought that using the VGA for standard definition looked better than using the S-Video when I tried them.

I am also feeding component progressive from a Sony DVD player into the same VGA port. I use a simple passive monitor switch for this. No quality loss that I could observe in testing.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.