AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I recently bought an Infocus X1, with over 800hours on the second lightbulb.

Now, I think it's really, really loud! (compared it to a projector the other day I saw in a shop, could hardly hear it!). i did some research, but I don't think it's the color wheel that's so noisy.

Is there a way to clean the fans, since I think these are the noisemakers.

Some kind of special oil I have to use, WD40? ...

thanks in advance,

Inc.

PS: today I succesfull cleaned my projector with some compressed air since I have some dust blobs.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The fans are sealed and not servicable.

I have NEVER had a fan been noisy in ANY of the projectors I've serviced. It has always been the color wheel and those are not repairable either.

And you really DON'T want to spray or apply any kind lubrication in there. The residue could be flung off onto the optics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thx

I just opened my X1 once again and it turns out, it is the color wheel after all! (with the on-off-on trick I heard the difference between the fans and the color wheel, wow !).

Do you think it's wise to spra some (just a little) WD40 on the bearing of the color wheel and let it rest for a few days ... so it can be soaked up and dry.

Because I just don't know what to do ...

greetings,

Inc.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Again, do not spray any lube in there. The bearings are bronze and will be unaffected and the residue will be splattered on the optics as the color wheel spins.

The only cure is to replace the color wheel, which unfortunately, is not available. I have heard from others that the X2 color wheel will work, but I have not tried it myself to confirm. I don't want to sell someone a part unless I am sure it will work.

As far as the X2 parts, I am out right now, I will be ordering more soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts