AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using X1 for a while, connected to Dish 6000, and am quite happy with it.

But, I am having some trouble with the focus adjustment.

(1) I find myself fiddling a lot with the focus adjustment to make sure I am getting the best image. Is there a good way to know when you have a well focused image ? I usually look at the letters (like the program guide information) in the picture to make sure they are as sharp as possible. Is there a better way?

(2) Every time I remove the lens cap (which is every time I use the projector), I end up altering the focus adjustment. Then, I have go through focus adjustment all over again. Is there a way to lock in the focus adjustment, once you like the image? Or, should I just leave the lens uncovered?

Thanks.

Vik

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Vik,

I've found the best way to focus is on the projectors own menu. That way you don't have to guess how sharp the source image is. That said, I don't know if there's all that much difference between a super focused picture, and just a quick focus. It's really program dependent. For satellite viewing, a softer focus can actually help minimize the distractions of a compressed image. For computer viewing, the extra sharpness is important. Of course, if your image is too large, a well-focused image will also draw attention to the pixel structure of the X1.

As far as the lens goes, I try to cover it whenever I'm not going to use it for more than a day or two, mostly to keep dust off of it.

I'm a tall guy, with low ceilings, so adjusting the focus and covering the lens isn't a big deal to me.

Scott

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I don't use the lens cap. It's more convenient for me to just wipe the lens with a soft cloth really quick if it's that dusty.

As for focusing, I also use the menu. I make sure it's sharp enough that the pixels are clearly defined up close, but the gap in between is almost completely filled. If I used the lens cap it would drive me nuts doing this every time because it's such a small adjustment that I have to walk back and forth between the screen and the projector until it looks right.

·
Registered
307 Posts
A neat trick from the CRT world is to use (cheap) binoculars to do your focus adjustment. It saves a lot of walking :)

piesek

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Clever! But what if the binoculars are out of focus? :D

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
tape the lens. done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.