AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My x1 will be here on Wednesday. I'm tempted to order the TimeWarner Cable HDTV package, I already have HBO & SHO. Has anyone hooked this proj up to HD? Specifically, the unit TW has requires that I would have the breakout cable to vesa connector.

I'm also curious to know how you would switch between HD and HTPC?

·
Registered
317 Posts
It looks great with MyHD from the PC through the VGA connector. I don't know about HD Cable. My own HD comes out of the PC so I don't have to deal with the switching issue, so I can't help there.

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the Time-Warner (Bright House) HD Explorer cable box with the X1. Showtime HD, HBO HD, and the PBS HD Demo channel are all great. Neighbors can't believe that the resolution of the projector is only 800 x 600. It really looks beautiful. The local digital channels are good, but look better with the MyHD card in my home theater computer. I watch everything at 96" diagonal sitting back about 15'. CSI is so realistic that my wife has to look away from the bloody scenes. I totally recommend the X1 for HD viewing. Plasma sets I have viewed in local stores are no better. :cool:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
toomeypj, how do you switch between HD and DVD? Do you use an HTPC? If so, do you have a switch box?

·
Registered
107 Posts
pcostanz,

I use a non-progressive DVD player thru the svideo port on the X1. The cable box has component out to vga cable adapter to a vga switch and then to the VGA input on the X1. The HTPC is used for playback of over-the-air HD broadcasts recorded through a MyHD card, and also to playback DIVX recordings when using the X1 as a monitor. The long cables and VGA switch don't seem to affect the quality.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
toomeypj - did your cablebox come with the component to VGA adapter, or did you purchase that for the X1?

Also, how do DVDs look through the S-video port?

Another thing - with they MyHD card, are you able to get HBO and Showtime (premium) channels through it? I thought it was just OTA broadcasts, which is kinda limited IMO..

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you already have HBO and Showtime, it's a no brainer. Does Time Warner even charge you extra for HD? Comcast doesn't. I think people here are overstating how HD looks on the X1 however. HD HBO and Showtime on the X1 is like having the DVDs piped into your house.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roto, TW charges $6 for HD, mostly for the box, though...

I used to watch HD on a DLS8 (Davis Proj), it looked better than DVD (SVGA), so I expect similar/better results from the X1.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Peter. Welcome to the X1 club. I have had mine since November and still loving every minute of it.

I was absolutely blown away by HD on the X1, and I am using Time Warner. The box rental is the only additional cost for the 7 HD channels. I do not remember the exact cost, but the HD box costs the same as the standard digital box.

Here in Charlotte we are using the Explorer 3100 HD box. It comes with a 6 feet cheap component cable which I am using, connected to a breakout cable I ordered from Radio Shack for $49. Works great. I could not ask for more.

Prepared to be awed!!

patrick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there anyone in NJ that has an X1 that they don't mind showing... I can't find any local store with a demo. I'm just worried about the rainbow issue I've read about. The price is great.

Also does anyone have an idea the best way to mount this in a large room with an 18' celing...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcostanz
Roto, TW charges $6 for HD, mostly for the box, though...

I used to watch HD on a DLS8 (Davis Proj), it looked better than DVD (SVGA), so I expect similar/better results from the X1.
For $6 a month, still a no brainer if you plan on keeping HBO and Showtime anyway. I have them both and every now and then get tempted to dump them. I wish Starz would go out of business. They get a lot of the good movies and refuse to move to HD, which means HBO and Showtime are left showing more crap.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the rainbow issue is so overblown. I had a dls8 dlp and know what the rainbow is-only because I was told about it and looked for it. I've shown that system to numerous people and not one ever commented on or saw a rainbow effect. See any low end dlp system and you can judge the rainbow effect for yourself. It's seldom that you are able to see it, only on high contrast scenes (white on black) that are moving, or you are looking from right to left quickly on this scene. Most of the time, it's not even possible to see it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HBO & SHO show crap because that's how they make money. I have HBO for the boxing & sopranos and some films, & sho for the more sci-fi related stuff. Starz is excellent, but I must have boxing and got HBO &SHO for 14.95 package for ever.. good deal.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I will admit that 40 second Tyson fight looked great in HD on Showtime even on my X1. I think that's been the only match shown in HD so far.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Roto
If you already have HBO and Showtime, it's a no brainer. Does Time Warner even charge you extra for HD? Comcast doesn't.
Comcast charges an extra $5-$7 per month for the HD box (depending on your subscription package).

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is very timely. I just ordered a progressive DVD player and have the TW HD box. I'm planning on using a simply VGA Manual Switch box to do the switching since the VGA port of the X1 is the only port that can handle 480P or 1080i.

I've done some searching on the web and they can be had for $20! I'll let you know how this works out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the X1 come with a component-to-VGA adaptor so that it can handle 480P out of the box? I am wondering if I need to purchase an additional adaptor for that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes you need an additional VGA to component adapter. Infocus sells a cheap but but when last checked they were out of stock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey guys,

A newbie here ...My X1 will be in Wednesday as well. The question I have is instead of using a VGA switchbox why not run the cables through your AV receiver? I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1 receiver and hopefully I will be able to run HDDTV as well as DVD, XBOX component into the Yammy then one breakout to the X1. Will this work? Is there something I'm missing here? If so, I'll need to obtain a switchbox myself! :)

Thanks in advance,

Doug

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You should be able to use your receiver without a problem. I happen to be using a VGA switch myself mainly because I already had it and my receiver doesn't have component video connections.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.