AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I am ready to buy the x1, but was wondering how big of a screen could I do in my room, I would be using a white wall and have aprox, 111" space to do my screen, my room is very dark and I will be using only for movies in Directv and DVD.I will be seating at 11 to 12ft from the screen and we love the big screen view Any help would really be apreciated....

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
How big of a screen you're going to want for your viewing distance is dependant on how much SVGA screendoor you can tolerate. That seems to be very different for some than for others.

I would advise you to get the projector first and shoot it onto a white wall

while varying the image size. Then decide which screen size will suit you. That's better than taking someone else's advice and buying and choosing a screen size based on that only to discover that you're not happy with it.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses,however I was inquiring about the brightness or if the lumens on the x1 would be enough to cover my screen size on the wall without becoming too Dim....I have an old sharp projector with 400 lumens and 100:1 contrast, I donot see the screen effect, however I feel the picture to be very Dim.Any coments? I am ready to upgrade and my budget is at 1000, so it seems like the x1 is the projector to get, but I can not demo the unit and if I buy at Best Buy there is a restocking fee of about 150.00 dollars ( probably a new screen, white Matte)

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
ProjectorCentral recommends no more than 80 inches. Others are comfortable with 100+. In a light controlled room it has more than enough lumens.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'm very happy w/ my 75" x 57" [ 95" diag 4:3 ] screen -- in a light-controlled room. my screen has about a .9 - 1.0 gain (i.e. nothing special -- Parkland plastic). I was shooting the same size on a flat-white painted wall.

much will depend on your screen material -- you don't want to shoot too small & bright;

Mark

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Brightness probably won't be your limitation, the length of your room will. The X1 has a pretty long throw. I have mine all the way at the back of the room (about 16 feet) and get an 8 foot wide picture. It's plenty bright enough for me at that size. I would probably be fine with 10 feet wide if I could get it that big.

Screendoor is not a problem for me at all. If you defocus it right you can virtually eliminate it completely. I don't remeber which way, but I think it was clockwise that worked best. The other direction seemed to increase the SDE and quickly got out of focus. The low resolution is more of a limitation than screendoor. I can see pixel structure in text and thin diagonal lines

·
Registered
528 Posts
Projectorcentral.com recommends sticking to an 80 to 90 inch image for 16:9 material. That works out to about 73 inches wide for an 84 inch diagonal if I remember my spreadsheet correctly.

I tried out my X-1 for the first time last night and so far I am impressed. I will say that in a darkened room, the projector puts out enough light to easily walk around the room; even with all my cables and tools strewn about. My theater room has all white walls and I think they are reflecting too much light back to the screen. I will buy three black king size bed sheets to cover the walls while watching movies. One behind the screen and one for each adacent wall.

Greg Matty

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I'm was at 8 feet wide (I believe that's 9 feet diagonal). I would go for 9-10 feet wide if the area I'm projecting at had anymore space. I can not imagine going any lower than 90 inches wide with a 16:9 screen.

I had to return my X1 and I miss it so much, especially since my 1031Q CRT arrived broken. If UPS doesn't break the X1 while sending it back to Infocus I will almost ceratainly buy the X1. I really want to see what a good CRT is capable of though.

When I first recieved the X1 demo I had originally planned to go 80" wide, but that quickly changed as I kept wanting biger and bigger. The biggest I went with 4:3 was about 10-11 feet diagonal. That was when I was using a wall though. Once I setup a temporary 16:9 screen with a black sheet behind it to create a border (and to block out the white wall) I make everything fill the 16:9 screen, including all 4:3 material.

I was surprised at how I thought the 4:3 stretch was so tolerable (I have seen so many 16:9 HDTVs that have terrible looking stretch modes).

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MTyson
I had to return my X1 and I miss it so much.
Don't feel too sad, maybe it will come to my house next! :)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My 2 cents worth...

I just measured the picture I'm thowing with my X1 on a white wall. The width turns out to be 9'4" (112") this equates to a diagnal size of 11'8" (140") in 4x3 mode. The picture is plenty bright I must say, and that's on a fairly dingy white wall. I really don't see the need for a screen. I will probably just freshen up the white when I mask out the rest of the wall. The whole room is white, so the light reflecting off the screen lights it up a fair bit. My seating is approx 18' back. I have pretty good vision so I can detect screendoor at times, but my less visionally blessed wife doesn't even see what I am talking about. When I actually watch the movie and not the picture it is not an issue, especially now that the initial excitement has warn down (will never wear off!!!!). My advice is get the X1 and see how big a picture works for you. Go big or go home!!!! (ok, I know that you will already be home, but I digress...).

Hope this helps

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Semisentient
My 2 cents worth...

I just measured the picture I'm thowing with my X1 on a white wall. The width turns out to be 9'4" (112") this equates to a diagnal size of 11'8" (140") in 4x3 mode. The picture is plenty bright I must say, and that's on a fairly dingy white wall. I really don't see the need for a screen. I will probably just freshen up the white when I mask out the rest of the wall. The whole room is white, so the light reflecting off the screen lights it up a fair bit. My seating is approx 18' back. I have pretty good vision so I can detect screendoor at times, but my less visionally blessed wife doesn't even see what I am talking about. When I actually watch the movie and not the picture it is not an issue, especially now that the initial excitement has warn down (will never wear off!!!!). My advice is get the X1 and see how big a picture works for you. Go big or go home!!!! (ok, I know that you will already be home, but I digress...).

Hope this helps
you might be surprised at how much of your perceived screen brightness is due to light being reflected from your screen, around and back to the screen ...

my 75" x 57" screen area started out as a white wall inside a 3' deep white-painted alcove. (think of an oversized coat closet w/o the sliding doors.) when I painted the rest of the alcove (including the ceiling) a dark burgundy / charcoal / purpleish / bluish color I had to raise the brightness setting on my X1 from 50 to 73.

It sounds like you've got a nice huge picture but you might need to cut it down if you paint the area around it ... my .002 is that the reduction in brightness is due to light I didn't want anyway (after the paint job) not falling on my screen -- not part of the actual picture.

painting around my screen really brought out the colors and made it look more vibrant. as a buffer between the not-quite-black of the alcove and the screen, I framed the area w/ flat-black painted 1x4s.

Mark

·
Registered
289 Posts
My screen is hanging from the ceiling and is about 1 foot away from the wall. On each side of the screen and against the wall (basically behind the screen) are two hallogen lamps with the light shining toward the ceiling.

Because the light isn't shinning directly on the screen, I end up with a well lit room and a bright screen. I think this is the best way to do it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Quote:
It sounds like you've got a nice huge picture but you might need to cut it down if you paint the area around it ... my .002 is that the reduction in brightness is due to light I didn't want anyway (after the paint job) not falling on my screen -- not part of the actual picture.
Hmmm.... But wouldn't light reflecting off the screen, then bouncing off the walls be the same as ambient light and cause the perceived brightness of the picture to diminish? I'm sort of thinking that once the room is painted (as close to flat black as the wife will let me) and not reflecting light, the room will be much darker, thereby making the screen relatively brighter.

I suppose I should just get around to doing it and find out...

·
Registered
807 Posts
do as you like ... the need to raise the brightness about 50% for the same perceived picture brightness was real; perhaps mine was a more exterme case because the alcove is only 8' wide, like shooting into the end of a box; light reflected from the screen would find a direct path to the walls and ceiling ...

as far as wife-accepted colors, I went w/ a color Ace hardware calls 'pilot rock'; mainly because it works well w/ the burgundy walls outside of the alcove. it looks like a purplish charcoal w/ a hint of red ...

"I suppose I should just get around to doing it and find out..."

-- always the best way, just don't get wed to one screen size & position until you get your room colors finalized.

-M.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vantorax
My screen is hanging from the ceiling and is about 1 foot away from the wall. On each side of the screen and against the wall (basically behind the screen) are two hallogen lamps with the light shining toward the ceiling.

Because the light isn't shinning directly on the screen, I end up with a well lit room and a bright screen. I think this is the best way to do it.
Do a search on "bias lighting" to find out more about this lighting arrangement. From my reading it sounds like this is the way a home theater should be set up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for all the great information, I will go and buy today my new x1 and will post results comments A.S.A.P. I wish I had some white cloth to do a 150" screen and cover my speakers ( I will be seating at 10ft. from the screen) Would that be too closeon a 4:3 screeen?

·
Registered
807 Posts
too close and maybe too big -- try shooting onto a white bed sheet and see what size image works best for you ...

remember the X1 is a fairly long throw projector -- you're going to need a fairly long room to throw a really large image. I get my 95" diag 4:3 image in 11+ feet from the lense to the screen -- and that's at full zoom.

a good rule of thumb for seating distance is sit from 1.5 to 2 times the screen width ...

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I bought my X1 and the picture quality is fantastic, I end up with a 160" YES 160" screen and I am seating at 13 ft. from the screen and a 4:3 formatt shooting directly in to the wall,however I had to change my main speakers ( JBL Studio Monitors 4430 Bi-radial) to 3 JBL Control series 29 A/V speakers and it turns out to be very good.Now to the X1 all of you people were right on the money when it came to descriving how good of a product we have our hands on. Cudos to Infocus for having the cajones to lower the price and shake the market to have the conpetition lower their prices and we the customers have an option when it comes to projection models. A very happy customer and family will enjoy our new projector for a while and thank you to all of the members here at AV Forum for their recomendations and suggestions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm no longer a lurker. I got my X1 just in time for the Sugar Shane/Delahoya fight (Delahoya was robbed). I bought a piece of wallboard for $12 from Home Depot, cut it to 45 x 80, mounted it on the wall, and like magic i'm watching the fight, NFL Sunday ticket, ...I'm really happy w/ 16:9 mode, but my wife prefers 4:3. this $12 screen is doing the trick for now. I would definitely take the recommendation to not lock-in any decision regarding a screen until you've put up a sheet, wallboard, or just project it on the wall to really figure out your sweet spot for viewing. Just a little patience will go a long way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.