AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to info from this forum, I built a breakout cable last night and tried it from my progressive scan JVC DVD player to my X1. To quote Lawrence on the DirecTV ad, "Jumpin' Jehosephat, ye ha!"

Bypassing the X1's interlacer with a prog scan image made a definite, improvement in picture quality. The image is quite a bit crisper. Enough that I'm addicted to it.

Now, it looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to make this setup work for me.

On my DVD player, it has a manual switch on the rear of the unit. When you switch it from 480p to 480i, the signal coming through the RGB RCA jacks appears to cut off. The X1 goes to blue and starts searching for a signal again. It then will sync up to the S-video line running at 480i.

However, it doesn't work as cleanly the other way. The DVD player still puts out an S-video signal in 480p mode. So the X1 trys to interpret it, making two bad images on the screen.

The logical thing would be to simply turn off the auto source feature on the X1, and manually switch it back and forth when I go from DBS to DVD.

Any ideas on how to do it better in this scenario? I've gotten very used to using my reciever as a video switcher. But that's assuming that everything is feeding through the receiver at 480i via S-vid cable.

Do newer receivers handle switching differing video formats?

Eric

Eric

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
You have to turn off autosource from what I have found. I had a similar problem with my combo DVD/VCR player. It kept finding the composite connection.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.