AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my X1 on Friday. Just have it shooting on a wall for now, but image is great. However, I am planning to get a 16:9 screen and wanted to watch regular TV (4:3) on the 16:9 screen. The X1 has 3 output options: 16:9, 4:3, and Native. I marked the wall for a 16:9 screen and watched clips from various DVD's and then wanted to test and see what a 4:3 source looked like. I hooked up our satellite receiver via S-Video and selected 4:3 on the X1 and it used the entire panel and projected 4:3 image much taller than the 16"9 screen size. I then selected "Native". It does the height correctly on the 16:9 screen and does display black bars on the side. But the image is still stretched. I measured the 4:3 image on the wall and it measures 81" wide x 56" tall. It should be about 74.5 inches. Why if I have selected native is it stretching a 4:3 image? Should it be stretching it? I definately do not want to have TV stretched.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm just heading out the door to Home depot to pick up some new screen parts to deal with that.

My plan is to build a 70" x 46" screen. That allows 16:9 mode material to be displayed at it's full width with the X1 at max image size Zoom.

If I switch to 4:3 mode for non widescreen material (how can you not watch Dr. Strangelove in all it's glory?), I can zoom to min image size, and it fits on the screen. It's a compromise, but it fits the room and allows both Aspect Ratios to co-exist.

Kevin

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about that as a work around as well. Should the projector be stretching if we are selecting "native"? I am going to call infocus tomorrow and see if this can be corrected somehow. My wife is not going to want to mess with the zoom every time we switch between TV and DVD viewing. This thing sure has a fantastic image.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I think the image may just be cropped on the top and bottom. See the attached diagram. (Assuming the attachment worked.) Perhaps Bob Williams can address this topic.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sent Bob a PM and he has confirmed that it is stretched. Again this is if you are trying to display 4:3 on a 16:9 screen, it is stretched. His reply is below. Hopefully they will address this in a firmware release.

Bob:

"What you're seeing is exactly how it's supposed to work, but I'm on your side in that it does not really make sense for this source.

You see, the video decoder inside the X1 outputs 704x480, which corresponds to the video standard for such sources. The native resizing is just spitting this right back out to you without doing any scaling. This, of course, does not help you, because you want to see 640x480.

We are thinking about changing "native" resizing for this special case so that we do scale slightly horizontally to give you a true 4:3 image. I do not know if this will be implemented in a firmware maintenance release, but I have suggested that it be done. "

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I've attached a revised diagram, which may be more correct, based on Bob's note.

It would appear that you can not have a geometrically correct 4:3 image within the 16:9 space as implied on page 11 of the X1 user guide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.