AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but I'll give it a go anyhow...

I've seen lots of posts on this site and elsewhere stating that composite

output is better than s-video for LD's. I'm using a Pioneer CLD-605 with

my Infocus X1, and to my eyes, the picture looks better with the s-video

connection (colors seem brighter, less video noise, etc.).

So...one thing I'm wondering is if there is a calibration laserdisc (like

an equivalent to Avia or DVE) that I could run to see if I can get the

composite output to work better?

I guess I'd just like to better understand what is going on, as it seems

to me that the only difference between s-vid out and composite out would

be the comb filtering, with the s-vid using the Pioneer's comb filter and

the composite output using the Infocus' (with both connections on the

projector being deinterlaced by the Faroudja chip). Am I correct about

this?

·
Registered
28,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsixbillion
So...one thing I'm wondering is if there is a calibration laserdisc (like an equivalent to Avia or DVE) that I could run to see if I can get the

composite output to work better?
There are two consumer calibration laserdiscs: A Video Standard and Video Essentials. Both come from Joe Kane Productions. Video Essentials is the more recent of the two and the easiest to find. There are also a number of professional calibration products, as well as home theater demo discs (such as THX WOW!, Dolby Digital Experience, etc.) that contain certain calibration patterns.

Video Essentials is the one you should be looking for.

Quote:
I guess I'd just like to better understand what is going on, as it seems

to me that the only difference between s-vid out and composite out would

be the comb filtering, with the s-vid using the Pioneer's comb filter and

the composite output using the Infocus' (with both connections on the

projector being deinterlaced by the Faroudja chip). Am I correct about

this?
You are correct. That is the difference.

The D605 is not known for the quality of its comb filter. I'd be really surprised if the one in your X1 isn't better, but you never know.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
LD is a Y/C MIXED medium (unlike DVD) so the question becomes which of the two Y/C separators ("comb filter") (the one in the LD or the one in the display device) is the better.

A further complication is that some LD players have been reported to have very odd circuitry: the Y/C separation is first performed, with the results sent to the S-Video output, and then the two Y and C signals are recombined for the composite output. This further complicates the comparision. (I do not know if this applies to your machine but you might do a search to see.)

I am presently using the S-Video output of my Pioneer DVL-90 into my Infocus 7200 (an X1 until recently). My opinion was that there was no discernable difference in quality between the composite and the S-Video for these machines.

For DVD players, I have never experienced or heard of a situation where composite appears better than S-Video. I have heard of people liking S-Video better than component 480i or 480p however.

The end result is just this: try both connections and see which one you like better.

[Edited: my original post said "de-interlacer" when I meant "Y/C separator".]

·
Registered
28,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith
LD is a Y/C MIXED medium (unlike DVD) so the question becomes which of the two de-interlacers (the one in the LD or the one in the display device) is the better.
Regardless of whether he uses composite or S-video, the deinterlacing will be done in the projector. There were no progressive scan LD players ever made.

I think you meant to say which of the two comb filters is the better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...for the replies, that definitely cleared things up a bit. So does the Faroudja chip in the X1 do the comb filtering as well as the deinterlacing or is that a separate circuit?

·
Registered
28,064 Posts
Faroudja does make comb filters, but I'm pretty sure the chip in the X1 is just for deinterlacing and Infocus uses their own chip for the comb filter.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Josh Z,

Yes, I misspoke. I referred to the Y/C separation ("comb filter") not de-interlacing. Both composite and S-video are interlaced.

I have edited my post. Thanks for the correction.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.