AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed alot of people mount there projector from the ceiling. Can't you just make a shelf on your back wall and mount it on there? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Maxx - you sure can. It's personal preference on where you place your projector. Some put it on a coffee table in front of their seating area, some in a tall bookcase or shelf in back of the room, some on the ceiling. For me, I have a very big room and want a relatively stable, permanent setup so ceiling mounting is my choice.

The benefit of mounting it on the ceiling is that once you get the image sized and orientated properly you won't have to do it again since generally speaking the pj won't move again.

The benefit of shelf or table placement is that it remains very portable and you can move it from room to room or even take it to a friend's house without much effort.

It's all up to you...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxx25
I noticed alot of people mount there projector from the ceiling. Can't you just make a shelf on your back wall and mount it on there? Am I missing something?
of course you can. please note if your room is quite long, the image size may be larger than what you prefer. also, if the projector is put high, you need to turn it over and need something put below the four corners so the buttons won't touch the shelf.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The X1 has sort of a design flaw that causes heatwaves to distort the image when the unit is "right side up". Hanging upside down eliminates this. (Search the forum for threads on this issue). Having it up away from the viewers reduces the apparent noise a bit. And, the higher it is the less likely you will have people walk in front of the light and block the image. My DIY mount (based on Technut's FAQ suggestion) is pretty quick release so if I wanted to take it to a friend's house I could. :p

JayW

·
Registered
588 Posts
also of note. if you shelf mount your projector in the rear, you will have to do one of two things:

1. have it sitting upside down.

2. have it sitting right side up... but with its backend WAY up in the air.

this is due to the fact this projector (like most others) is designed to be on a low table in front of you, or hanging upside down behind you. the image will always be "above" the "top" of the PJ - which is only amplified as distance increases between projector and screen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.