AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im debating weather to get an X1 now or wait until early November for the Sanyo Z2.

In Australia the X1 can be had for around $2000 AUD and a supplier has told me the Z2 will be around $4300 ($4999 rec retail) AUD.

I am only going to have a 16:9 screen 80inch approx viewed at 3.3metres approx.

While the Z2 is over double the dollars is the res worth it? I really like the colours and shadow detail on the X1 which i still think the Z2 will lack in comparison.

Either will be feed from a PC for DTV HD and SD and PAL DVD from a HTPC with Radeon 9600 Pro graphics card

Any suggestions.

D

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
For your setup, the extra resolution will probably NOT warranty twice the money (unless you're a naturally critical person).

The REAL issue here is: Will you see rainbows with the X1. If you do, they will only appear in certain scenes of certain movies. But they WILL be annoying when present. More than 50% of the population cannot see or do not care if they see an occasional rainbow artifact.

It would be worth your while to attempt to see an X1 (or similar priced DLP projector) to see if you can see rainbows. It may be worthwhile buying one and demoing it for awhile. If you get a current one -- with Farouda deinterlacing, you will likely recover a large portion of your investment, if you decide to sell it.

If you want to go for the "sure bet", I think you should consider the Panasonic AE300 (aka PT-L300U). It should be priced between the X1 and the Z2 -- with adequate resolution for your setup. Also, the AE300's successor, the AE500 should not be ignored. I hear it's going to be killer (and priced similar to the Z2).

gp

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 years in projector terms is pretty short. WXGA will proably be the bottom market by then at the $2000 - $3000 AUD price bracket? Hence spending $2000 now haven't really lost money? I have i got it wrong.

I don't mind upgrading in 2 years to something better, but 1920 x 1080 will proably pretty common by then and fairly cheap too.

I wonder if the Z2 will even come close in colour and black/shadows to the X1, the Z1 is a far way off at present.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Current price in AUD is $4070 for the AE300 Panasonic so its double the X1 not sure its worth it, reviews say 300 has edge in detail on HD stuff but X1 wins in colours and shadow detail and blacks hmmmm 500 might level this score AND have better res but will be near $5000 here when released.

Haven't seen rainbows yet, and particular scences in certain movies to notice them?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If rainbows aren't an issue, go for the X1.

fyi:

There is a recent (week old) thread talking about specific scenes to look for rainbows. Look for that thread.

Picture quality, pixelation, and contrast are better on the X1. The difference is more like good vs. great (instead of average vs. great).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I remember buying my projector a Nec vt45 in September last year. It was considered at the time to be a really good entry level projector. By the time December had arrived Panasonic, Sanyo and Infocus had made that projector obsolete. I still like my projector but I know there are better projectors out there that are to be had for a cheaper price.

In hindsight I probably should have waited two more months to see what the new projectors had to offer.

So if you have the patience to wait all these guys who currently have z1's, X1's and 3oou's will have obsolete projectors by the new year!

·
Registered
602 Posts
and if you keep waiting two more months then prices will probably be even cheaper. but if you keep doing that you'll never get anything.

i don't see anything beating the x1's price/performance for awhile. i'll upgrade when something does (and there is more HD material available)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you can stand to wait until you get some reviews from new Z2 owners then keep waiting. Right now a comparison can only be made on paper. You sound like you're leaning a little towards the X1. If that's the case go ahead and get it. You could probably have it in your hands by the weekend. It's easier to wait when you already have a projector.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've decided to go the X1.

Played with it at a fellow forum users (Australia) house last night and we managed to get it take 1024 x 580 given one a unstretched widescreen 16:9 desktop in a 16:9 screen (which is what i want). Picture quality is very good for the $'s.

Looking for Rainbows, his missus, himself, me and my missus could all see them at the same points IF trying to look but in general not really noticable.

Used the fight scence (main one) in gladitator when russel crowe fights the guy with the shinny pull down mask. The fast movement and very bright shinny bits (ie mask/armor) brings out the rainbows more than anything.

They also can be noticed suttly when going from a bright scence to dark quickly, i think its ones eyes re-adjusting.

Personally i think all ppl will see rainbows if looking, prior to last nights view where i was just looking at the picture and NOT just for rainbows I had not notice them. To be honest i think if i didn't know what they were one would think nothing of it.

D

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
i'd wait for the z2 but hey, that's just me. I would rather have a true 16x9 pj with a much higher res. Also, I highly doubt the z2 will be inferior colour wise to the x1 and shadow detail I ebt will be equal.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the Z2 matches the X1 in shadow detail, blacks and colours it will be a MASSIVE improvement of the Z1, in this regard the Z1 to me is a fair way off.

Hopefully it does, will be good value

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.