AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the InFocus X1 comes with a 4000 hour lamp! That's a movie every day for five and a half years!

Says it right on the website - will be getting one for sure now :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just checked the sight. Didn't see anything about the 4000 hour lamp.

Post a link to the information you are reading. You might want to pinch yourself. Yes. Pinch yourself. I don't think you are awake! I want the 4000 hour lamp to, but lets stop obsessing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bthorn9435
I just checked the sight. Didn't see anything about the 4000 hour lamp.

Post a link to the information you are reading. You might want to pinch yourself. Yes. Pinch yourself. I don't think you are awake! I want the 4000 hour lamp to, but lets stop obsessing.
It's a dream come true *pinch* *pinch*. Gotta love welts :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
The firmware 'allowing' 4k hours isn't the same as the bulb actually lasting 4k hours. It's also not the same as the bulb being able to still put out a decent image by then, even if it still strikes. I sure hope it does, of course. :)

I wonder what's been actually achieved by owners?? Mine is too new to count, but how many hours have the rest of you gotten up to so far?? I'm guessing results over 1k hours would be interesting to hear about. Like, what does the picture look like by then?? Or 2k+ hours?? I realize it's not easy to quantify, not having a new bulb to compare to.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Yost
I wonder what's been actually achieved by owners?? Mine is too new to count, but how many hours have the rest of you gotten up to so far?? I'm guessing results over 1k hours would be interesting to hear about. Like, what does the picture look like by then?? Or 2k+ hours?? I realize it's not easy to quantify, not having a new bulb to compare to.

Ron Yost
1733 hours here. Sometimes I think it is dimmer sometimes I'm not so sure. I once had a terrible flickering problem but it went away along with a dust blob. Unfortunately I now have three dust blobs which really bother me. I tried to take the thing apart but after taking out eight screws I couldn't figure out how it is supposed to come apart.

Right now I am running the 4800 firmware (v1.4) just for fun. I don't know if it is better or worse. The only real change I noticed is the option for the power up video source is gone.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Yost
The firmware 'allowing' 4k hours isn't the same as the bulb actually lasting 4k hours. It's also not the same as the bulb being able to still put out a decent image by then, even if it still strikes. I sure hope it does, of course. :)

Ron Yost
I have same concern on all digital pjs in general. Some pjs claim 3000, 4000, or 5000 hours lamp life. Is this just false economy?

1. We already heard 2-3 reports of pre-mature lamp popping. So I'm just going to take 'average' lamp life with a grain of salt.

2. Like Ron said, I'd like to hear more about lamp getting dimmer (or not) when we all start to put 1000+ hours on our lamps.

Is there a techie here that knows about lamps? Are there actually two different types of lamps - one type that goes dimmer over time and one that doesn't? Or is it just a fact of life that every lamp (even the same model) is different. I remember a Davis450 owner saying that his lamp is as bright as day one after 3000+ hours.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was not sure about the news but thought you would all appreciate me mentioning it to all you fence sitters out there :D

It's a toss up between a X1 and H30 here. Yet I have not lived with the H30 and have the X1.

I guess we'll have to wait and see - maybe I can get a hold of both and do a shootout when the H30 becomes available! *yeah*

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had to send my X1 in for replacing the color wheel. Received a call for the "authorized" repair facility saying that I needed a new bulb after only 1516 hours on it... SALES PITCH. Think I should fight to get my original bulb back anlong with the new one??

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stevemadison
I had to send my X1 in for replacing the color wheel. Received a call for the "authorized" repair facility saying that I needed a new bulb after only 1516 hours on it... SALES PITCH. Think I should fight to get my original bulb back anlong with the new one??
Definitely! A new lamp may look better, but as long as the old one still works keep it as a backup. You shouldn't have to fight to get the original lamp back, it's yours.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
When you get both bulbs back, please report your findings. I wonder though if the service center "dropped" your bulb, and now wants you to "pay" for it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
In a conversation I had with Infocus, they discovered in their lab that the bulbs were lasting out to 4-5000 hrs. and decided to update the firmware to 4,000. If you leave them in too long you run the risk of the bulb blowing up and possibly damaging other components in the unit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ace5000
... If you leave them in too long you run the risk of the bulb blowing up and possibly damaging other components in the unit.
Are you saying that the probability of a bulb explosion increases significantly with age?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just cannot see why they want to sell me a new one with only 1/2 of its lifespan used. I called back to make sure I receive my old one. Well see if there are "complications".

·
Registered
124 Posts
"Is there a techie here that knows about lamps? Are there actually two different types of lamps - one type that goes dimmer over time and one that doesn't? Or is it just a fact of life that every lamp (even the same model) is different. I remember a Davis450 owner saying that his lamp is as bright as day one after 3000+ hours."

I don't think there a 2 different types.

Most lamps will get dimmer, and exhibit color differences over time. I work with 24 x 7 videowall technology, and do services all over the country. We regularly replace lamps in particular cubes, and then re-colorbalance an entire videowall to get a measure of color uniformity.

The lamps in our products typically have an "average" lifespan of 8000 hours (remember this is 24 x 7 usage). Some last 500, some can still be used at 10,000. We schedule services for various customers @ 5 - 6k hours of usage, and even with all new lamps, there is color disparity from cube to cube.

·
Registered
80 Posts
First of all, thanks to one and all for their efforts in getting this info and having it sufficiently explained. :D

I am going to upgrade my X1's firmware but first I want to either save the existing version or download the v3.8 firmware for safekeeping just in case.

Call me paranoid but I like to have these things on-hand if Murphy's Law prevails.

Does anyone know where I can download v3.8 from. Have looked on Infocus's site and done a google search but can't find it. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.