AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my X1 hooked up to a Dish 811 HD satellite thru VGA/component adapter. There are no color or tint settings like with the S-video input, just red, blue, green gain settings. When watching HD satellite it needs a higher color level, but I can't get it to happen. When I try to raise the RGB settings it doesn't help. Any suggestions? The RGB settings are set at the default(50). Thanks.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I set red to 85, green to 40, blue to 60; then set color temp. to warm. For some reason it seems to me that this boosts the light output, and gives red and yellow less muddy tinges. I don't have any fancy-shmancy meter doohickeys though...

Something to do with the "primary and secondary colors" interaction I guess...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC
Thanks Brown. I don't need more light output, I need more color with HD satellite.
I seem to recall someone mentioning that if you adjust the settings under s-vid, and save it as a user setting (to use for component) you can work around this limitation. Of course that means that you can't actually directly tune the component signal.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I know that if you adjust the sharpness mode on the video side and save to a preset, when you use the preset on the VGA side, you will get the benefit of the control, even though the menus don't include the sharpness control.

One of the other people gave some good advice, which is start with the color temp setting you like best and work from there adjusting the color settings you do have. I have never used the standard settings, like Video or Film, in the entire time I've used my X1. I made a few presets and pretty much stuck with these. Since the X1 defaults to your last preset, I pretty much don't change mine at anymore.

Another thing to remember is that there is purposeful variation in the way certain movies and TV shows look. Some are going to have an unnatural tint or other color problem. Don't try to make every show look good because it is impossible and will throw your settings out of whack for the majority of normal looking stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.