AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have the X1 and the Panasonic DVD-RP62 hooked up via the VGA port and WOW. This thing looks as good as my $1200 Kenwood with Foroujda and DCDi. Well probably because the Panny's got the Foroujda in it!

If you are thinking about a good wow DVD player for your X1, get a Denon 1600 ($400+), Kenwood DV-5900M ($1000+) or a Panasonic DVD-RP62 ($120.00 for version A) or any of the Panasonic RP72, RP82 or XP30 or XP50's.

I bought this thing JUST for my X1 and it's the best $120.00 investment. I had to look high and low for this model as the newer RP62's that have B in the serial do not have the Faroujda chipset.

WOW WOW

I like it SOOOO much I bought two of em' though I'm not sure what I'll do with two!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way I also demo TV's etc with Pearl Harbor. Maybe it's just me but I think good projectors or TV's look amazing with Pearl Harbor. The colors aren't crazy like in Monster's Inc or Toy Story.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an X1 and I'm expecting delivery of a new XP50 any day now. I have the Component->VGA adapter and my BlueJeans component cable ready to go. I can't wait to see the improvement over 480i/S-video on my Panny RV-31. I'm going to experiment with a HTPC/Radeon 9800 Pro later on and make a final decision on which way to go. I may end up connecting both with a VGA switch box.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I have the same combo. I picked up the panny at a Circuit City for $49.00 (demo) a few weeks before I bought the X1. I did not know the panny was a primo machine. It is the earlier "good" version. I had my choice of 4 other machines. All Zeniths (with the mirror front panel). I'm glad I chose as I did. When I happened onto AVS forum a few weeks later I was intrigued with the massive amounts of positive feedback for the X1.

I purchased it at a Best Buy here in the Puget Sound area. They had one at another store and after a week it was mine. (I have noticed that they now have an X1 on display in the computer area.) My wife was not convinced until we hooked it up and shot its image onto a sheet (a tan sheet!)! We were both wowed.

I have since constructed a screen which works very well. I also was very happy when my component to vesa adaptor arrived and I saw how clean an image it could project. The component to svideo route (480i) is not as clean. I think that keeping the digital to analog conversions to a minimum is responsible for the excellent PQ.

Thanks to all those on the forum who praised the X1. It's difficult to find new tweaks to improve the image. I might try HTPC. I'll have to read more about that route in the HTPC forum.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Guys, some people here are interested in seeing comparison of PQ on the X1 using cheapo vs higher end DVD players. If someone can post some results it would be great.

Higher end (Panny XP30, XP50, RP82, Denon-1600, etc)

- interlaced

- non-interlaced

Cheapo

- interlaced

- non-interlaced

Thanks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rickster.... lets just say that previously I had my Toshiba SD-2000P hooked up via 480i and it did not look as good as my RP62 hooked up via 480P.

Even with the RP62 hooked up via 480i the 480P output was much better.

Yeah the X1 has the Foroujda chipset in it and so does the Panasonic RP62 but I personally think it's the S-video vs. component that makes the difference .... not just the processor.

·
Registered
906 Posts
"Yeah the X1 has the Foroujda chipset in it and so does the Panasonic RP62 but I personally think it's the S-video vs. component that makes the difference .... not just the processor."

Have you tried the 480i component from the DVD player to the X1 as opposed to the 480i S-video to the projector?

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
dpadair,

Thanks for the link. The DVI connection is made at the end of the discussion. Besides the copy protection use of DVI, is the use of DVI going to give users an even better signal to display?

·
Registered
315 Posts
i just picked up an x1 to go along with an xp50 and have played around with 480i through svideo and 480p through the component/vga adapter. i give the nod to the component/vga, but not by a significant margin. in the end i think it's diminishing returns kicking in here... either way it has awesome PQ.

BTW... I'm using a 50' runs of component and svideo in my set up (nothing too fancy).

·
Registered
914 Posts
How do I know when I go to buy an RP62 that I am getting the older " Version A" model? What are the differences between the various RP62 versions? I would hate to buy that particular player and not get the one that has the better picture quality. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.