AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have a problem. I have a 21 inch computer monitor that is hooked up to my htpc, i would lke to hook the x1 up at the same time. i have yet to figure out a good way to do this. If i hook the computer to the computer in jack on the x1 and the monitor to the monitor out jack all is well UNTIL i turn off the x1, and then BLAM.. crappy picure on the monitor, dim and ghostly.

Any ideas? someone must have ran into this before. Also i should probably note that i normally run at 1280x1024

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
79 Posts
I plan on doing the same thing when I get my L300u, but I will not be connecting the monitor to the projector.

I don't know what kind of video card you have, but I will be connecting the projector to the DVI output on my HTPC and the monitor to the S-video output. But, my videocard has both the DVI and S-video connections.

I will admit though, I do not know what the monitor will look like connected to the S-video. My monitor has an S-video connection, so I assume it will work fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ATI has a new video card coming out next week 9600pro all in wonder and this is what I have been waiting for.. dual VGA finally, they put everything into this puppy even a radio!!! bye bye 7500 helloooo 9600 cant wait. As for DVI I'm not to sure, I read that it will have a adapter of some sort.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I use a manual VGA switch box and toggle between. I am glad you mentioned that running through the X1 looks like crap because I was going to make another VGA cable out of CAT-5 but now I might not go to the trouble.

Are you saying that the picture looks good on the projector and monitor at the same time, until you turn off the projector and then the monitor picture turns to crap? What kind of cables are you using and how long are they?

Also, how does 1280x1024 look on the X1?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gamma_seraph

Are you saying that the picture looks good on the projector and monitor at the same time, until you turn off the projector and then the monitor picture turns to crap? What kind of cables are you using and how long are they?

Also, how does 1280x1024 look on the X1?
I have exactly the same problem - both screens look fine until the X1 is switched off (manual power off), then the picture on the monitor breaks up. Unplug the VGA cable from the X1 and all is fine on the monitor. This is a problem when the PJ is mounted on the ceiling where you can't easily unplug it. I guess it can be fixed with a switch, but this seems like overkill when there is no other need for a switch. Can InFocus help us by telling us why this problem exists and whether there is a fix - it must be down to the X1.

I'm using a 1024 x 768 picture and the X1 does a fine job with it.

Georgio

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Georgio
I have exactly the same problem - both screens look fine until the X1 is switched off (manual power off), then the picture on the monitor breaks up. Unplug the VGA cable from the X1 and all is fine on the monitor.
It sounds like you are using a VGA splitter cable, not the passthru from the back of the projector like the other person, right?

In either case, I would guess that the X1 is pulling the line signal down when it's circuitry is powered off. If that's true, there probably isn't a fix coming from InFocus (without redesigning the hardware). But email [email protected] and see if they can help.

If there is no fix coming, then in your case (with a splitter) you could use a switch to flip back and forth instead of the splitter if you don't need both at once. Or if you want both on at the same time, keep the splitter and just use the switch to disconnect the cable from the X1 when you don't need it.

The fix for the person using the passthru to have both working at once isn't quite as easy, unless they also add a splitter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by technut Canada
It sounds like you are using a VGA splitter cable, not the passthru from the back of the projector like the other person, right?

In either case, I would guess that the X1 is pulling the line signal down when it's circuitry is powered off. If that's true, there probably isn't a fix coming from InFocus (without redesigning the hardware). But email [email protected] and see if they can help.
Technut,

Right, I'm using a splitter - and there's no visible picture degradation in normal use. For the powerdown problem I'll contact InFocus, but I guess you're right that a switch is the only 'external' fix available.

Thanks for the clarification.

Georgio

·
Registered
254 Posts
If your using the pass-through I assume that the X1 takes the VGA in and boosts the signal then sends it out the pass-through.

What I'm guessing the problem is, when the X1 is turned off there is no amplification and the X1 circuitry attenuates the signal OR you have just doubled your VGA cable length and that is enough to dirty the signal.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Georgio
Technut,

Right, I'm using a splitter - and there's no visible picture degradation in normal use. For the powerdown problem I'll contact InFocus, but I guess you're right that a switch is the only 'external' fix available.

Thanks for the clarification.

Georgio
I would think using a couputer with more than one monitor connection would work too. Just about every ATI card, even the cheap ones have dual video and they usually regarded as the top brand for DVD quality.

Plus it gives you the option of displaying something different on the monitor than the projector if you want.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Roto got it right. You need a dual head video card (2 VGA or 1 VGA & 1 DVI) then set the computer to mirror the desktop to both outputs. Works just like plugging into you laptop, but leaving the laptop screen on too. I have an MSI nVIDIA 4200 based card tht was like $150 almost a year ago, so I know this can be done for cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.