AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through and printed the FAQ at the top of this forum and am still looking for the deffinitive answer to my question before I pull the trigger and by an X1.

I have a progressive DVD (Pan SCHT700), a PS2, an Xbox, and Gamecube. I puchased the Pelican System Selector Pro to run everything into, which has composite, component, S-Video, and Digital in-outs. My question is how many and what kind of cables I'll need to run to the X1 in order to play all the equipment?! The X1, from what I've read, has a component-VGA connector.

For example, when I connect my PS2 to the system selector by S-Video, will it be sent to the PJ through the component-VGA connection, or does the signal NOT translate and I need to run an S-Video to the PJ as well. The Xbox has a connection kit, PS2 and Gamecube have S-Video, and DVD has component.

Or is eveything I'm wondering be put to rest by just using an S-Video on everything?!

I would like to puchase my X1 this weekend along with any cables I need. The distance from the equipment to the X1 (after going through the walls and across the ceiling to the PJ) is about 25-30', but can be re-positioned to 20-25'. Thank you.

P.S. Thanks to all of you who got me excited in building my HT and to those who answer questions over and over and over an......

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have nearly the same gear, so I'll chime in.

The X1's VGA input can only accept signals of 480p or better. Any 480i signal sent to it will not output properly.

The X1's S-Video input can only accept 480i signals. 480p or better signals will not output correctly. This rule also applies to the composite input.

Both the VGA and S-Video inputs have component adaptors, so you can use that method of signal transfer - HOWEVER the signal type limitations still exist.

Therefore, unless your switchbox upconverts 480i to 480p, you cannot use one single input on your X1. For example, most PS2 games are 480i... and therefore you could not correctly view them through the X1's VGA input.

One possibility is to send all your source data as 480i via component to the S-video input. Of course this sucks b/c you won't be using your Xbox's potential 720p outputs, etc, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went with a component video matrix switch 4(in)x2(out).

Two component cable runs to the projector, and you can route Progressive/Interlaced video to the correct port as need.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWendle
I went with a component video matrix switch 4(in)x2(out).

Two component cable runs to the projector, and you can route Progressive/Interlaced video to the correct port as need.
Sounds great! Now we need a Manufacture and Model number and purchase location! :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
AVToolbox.Com - AVT-5842MX :D

Quick list of devices I've got hooked up to it:

Philips DVDQ50 (480p)

XBox (480i/p,720p, 1080i)

ReplayTV (480p)

SA 3250HD (480i/p, 720p, 1080i)

I've only had one major issue to date with the unit. The Philips DVD player, when power cycled(unplugged from the wall), causes the unit to display a green tint on that input (anyone of the 4) until the matrix is power cycled(quick unplug). I didn't have this issue with either of my Sony's.

Otherwise than that the unit works perfectly on any HD source I put through it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You need to have 2 cables running to your X1. I've got my Hidef receiver and Progressive DVD player hooked up via component to a 20 dollar Radio Shack switchbox. My VGA breakout cable goes from there to the X1. The Tivo and Gamecube are both Svideo and are switched by my HT receiver. The switchbox has been talked about numerous times and doesn't seem to degrade signal quality at all.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm pondering the same kinds of problems. I'll be setting up an X1 next week. I want to output Progressive scan Gamecube via component (480p). BUT - not all GC games support progressive, so the rest of the time it would be outputting 480i via component. I will also have a HD OTA tuner (but not using it very often) and my Panny CP72 DVD changer.

I can't sacrifice the S-video input because I will have a lot of other systems coming in via s-video - SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, etc. I suppose I could switch most of them down to composite... or most of them up to component. I've heard not to use component for PS2 though - flaws show up better. And I'm not sure if I can find component cables for my Saturn, SNES, etc - right now I'm using a universal Dreamcast/PS2/SNES s-video cable to save on connections.

I can use my Onkyo receiver to switch the component video (and I would be willing to pick up a component video switch), but what do I do with about the Gamecube outputting progressive only most of the time (Zelda, Mario Kart, etc).

·
Registered
724 Posts
Any other comments from anyone? :D I don't want to kill the thread (I seem to have some bad luck here for killing threads :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Green Monkey -

You could go with an iScan Pro, or some other video processor to up-convert s-video to a progressive component signal.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, thanks for all the info. Wish me luck, I'll be picking up my X1 tonight...if there are any left!! :p

·
Registered
724 Posts
Upconverting from s-video wouldn't really keep the video quality of component, though...

I was reading up on the nintendo website on how to hook up component video. It says to plug in the component cables to the digital video out, and plug the other connector into the standard A/V out (to provide audio).

Couldn't I just plug in the component cables via the digital out, and leave the standard s-video a/v cable plugged into the a/v out? Will it output via both video outs, or is there somewhere in the hardware that turns one off if the other is being used?

Then I could run the progressive scan games @ 480p, but the other games would be in S-video (that seems like a decent compromise).

·
Registered
724 Posts
A helpful soul over on LCVG gaming forums confirmed that the Gamecube will output via it's s-video even when component cables are also plugged in - only if you change to progressive scan mode does the video stop.

So for gamecube, if you've got any of the games that do progressive scan and want to take advantage - You can hook up both the digital video output and the standard a/v output on the gamecube - just remember to use the progressive scan input on the X1 when you want to play a 480p game.

480p Gamecube games are all the 1st party games, and a few 3rd party games here and there.

Hope the info helps (it helped me, I want progressive scan GC games!!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.