AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a thousand threads on the X1 already, but I haven't seen these questions answered ANYWHERE, so please, bare with me.

I've owned an Infocus X1 for about 3 months now, and I've had a few questions since the day I brought it home. Let's not delay...

1) I have a screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio, and my projector is currently set to 4:3 in the projectors settings. However, there is also a setting called "Native". Which one should I use and why? Would this setting have something to do with the fact some of my XBOX games show up considerably smaller on the screen?

2) Some DVD's that I own (Family Guy, Six Feet Under) show a 'distortion' on the top of the screen. Here is the best way I can describe it. It almost looks like the pixels are 'shaking', but doing so in a straight line across the top of the screen. You can really only notice it if you look for it, but it's VERY MUCH THERE.

I have the DVD/Xbox going to the projector with a 25ft S-Vid cable, soon to be component.

Any input you guys/gals have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

:) :D

· Registered
333 Posts
Regular 4:3 tv is 480x640 pixels. In 4:3 mode, your projector scales this up to fill the screen. While this gives you a bigger picture, you get some distortion anytime you scale it up by a fraction. In native mode the center 480x640 pixels are used. You get a smaller picture and you have a black border all around, but you have an exact 1:1 pixel mapping,eliminating any scaling artifacts. What looks better to you is a matter of personal preference. I prefer the bigger picture myself.

For problem 2, go to the picture menu, select advanced, and check the OVERSCAN box. This resizes the picture very slightly bigger to eliminate the distortion around the edge.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I tried the OVERSCAN setting, but it didn't do anything...at least anything that fixed the problem.

The 'shaky pixels' only occur at the top of the screen, but they go all the way across the picture.

Something like this, whereby the "^" represent shaky pixels.

=============

| |

| ^^^^^^^^ |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

=============

· Registered
3,289 Posts
Firmware you are running, Barber? Also what ratio are those DVD's? My guess is its coming from your Xbox. I do not ever see this with any FW actually except some broadcast stations and that is coming from them.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you check to see what firmware you are running? And the aspect ratio of those DVD's is 4:3

It doesn't matter what I set the aspect ratio of the projector to, I still have the problem/.

· Registered
3,289 Posts
If the overscan option didnt do the job, then its coming in as part of the video or noise from the Xbox. The overscan option overscans the area to eliminate the noise from the signal. Maybe someone else has a better explaination.

There is an "info" screen from the menus that will tell the fw. Its the same screen that you use to check lamp hours.

Do you have another DVD player to try with?

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry guys, I didn't explain myself clearly enough. The distortion I'm talking about in question 2 is through my Toshiba Progressive scan DVD player only.

My Xbox problem is that some games won't fill the entire screen. I only ever get a distortion problem through my DVD player. The XBOX games look perfect (albeit small), and I never use my Xbox for playing DVD's.

· Registered
911 Posts
I've seen the same distortion, it is outside of the 480x640 area (compare it with a regular TV and you'll see) - you aren't missing those lines.

It seems to be some kind of hammer lock or synch signal.

What I do is set my screen up so that area is projected onto the velvet border of my screen. Voila, gone.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This problem occurs about a foot below the top of the screen. Simply moving the image to the 'velvet' on the screen would cut peoples heads off in a conversation.

· Registered
911 Posts
Sorry, the problem I had was a two pixel horizontal line at the very top of the frame that looked shifted over about 12 pixels. Not the same issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.