AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to run ~30 foot of cable, would I be better off using the component or the S video utilizing the Faroudja DCDI chip?

Ed

·
Registered
315 Posts
what's your source (cable, satellite, dvd, other)?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Check out this thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=302908

As I say there, I find a slight improvement when I use the component/vga breakout cable to send a 480p signal to the x1 (over 480i through svideo), but YMMV.

FWIW... I ran 50' of component, svideo, composite, and RG6 to my projector location and the PQ is great with both the svideo and component (I haven't played with the others yet).

·
Registered
440 Posts
Same here ..I am running 50' component and S video cable and can see noticable image quality improvement when using component.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Long cables(good ones) are expensive.I have been pricing some 50 ft ones myself and they are not cheap.I had purchased a really flimsy s-video dual rca combo cable that was 50 ft and found that the image quality was horrific ! Lines and noise galore. Finally I found a place svideo.com (go figure)that sells what are supposed to be industry standard quality cables.My 50 ft was under $40 and you can get a component video cable 30ft for $45.99.

I will post again on the quality when it arrives.If these cables live up to their claims then i will be very pleased.They say most of their clients are broadcast industry;news stations etc.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm using the exact cable you are talking about. It is a mogami 75ohm dual coax. This cable is simply outstanding. I've heard of people running 100ft lenghts without ANY signal quality degradation.

Granted, the cable doesn't seemingly look like much - but it works like a charm. Mogami are solid no-frills top quality cables and not just gold-plated silver wrapped gimmicky and overpriced BS.

piesek

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm a DIY kinda guy... I did a 60' run of 3 component (RG6), and an S-Video (which is actually two RG6 wires with ends I soldered on myself)... works like a charm (no noticable difference between my cables and 6' high end cables I borrowed to compare), and it cost me a total of $17, including ends, and 10 minutes of soldering... so if you're cheap... ;)

One thing that makes a big difference, even with crap cable, is if you are running near any existing power lines, or other unsheilded wires (namely speaker wires), always cross at 90 degrees... it really cuts down on interference...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all who contributed, but do I need to assume that the DVD component source must be reasonably better than the Faroujda's DCDi over 480i?

-Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hope I can get some sage advice here as well. I run component (480p) through the VESA adapter from my DVD player. Love the picture. However, the S-video connection from my cable box and ancient VHS leaves much to be desired. Am considering the iScan to up convert the signal to 480p. Has anyone tried the same and can I expect improved signal output or is the DCDi in the X1 the best I can expect?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
dewdrop,

I always recommend trying all connections to see which one is best.

I am getting the best results with my X1 and Sony DVD player by feeding progressive component into the VGA port. That makes some sense, but I do not assume that it would be true for all component combinations.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I find that my Panasonic RP62 has a better Faroujda processor using component video with the VGA adapter than running interlaced to S-Video to the projector.

that's my preference :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately, I do not get this model around this region.

Any other DVD players to suggest? Toshiba, Pioneer, Denon or Philips?

-Ed :(

Singapore

·
Registered
89 Posts
The best cable for s-video I have ever used is from Mogami Cable that I got from hookupvideo.com a 50 ft run with no signal loss at all, better than Monster Cable at a 30 ft run. I have found video professionals prefer the Mogami brand for pure quality.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I personally think S-video looks 5 times better than component vga. The component looks green and has more artifacts due to the sharper picture.

·
Registered
144 Posts
component to VGA is the only way to get HD to the X1, and it looks superior to Svideo, so its really a no-brainer. If you plan on upgrading to HD in the future, use a good quality component to VGA adapter cable. I'm using a 35ft cable with my HT setup for the component side.. With decent progressive scan DVD player feeding the component cabling for a 480p image, the image quality is superb.

OR, you can do like what I did and run both component and Svideo cables. I use Svideo for satellite TV and component for DVD (and soon HDTV). I'm planning on also running a composite cable to the composite input on the X1 for my younger siblings to use for their video games.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree with puddy - I find that with an average source S-video is better than component on the x1. The principle is the same principle that applies to "slight de-focus" - if the image is "too" sharp, the flaws of the source show up in greater magnitude.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I guess it may be up to personal preference. With my HT, i try to maximize detail to make full use of my 100" 16x9 screen. An image that is IMO too soft and not as sharp in the details is distracting to me, so I go with component 480p.

Also, I try to only buy/rent anamorphic widescreen enhanced DVDs to maximize the displayed 16x9 resolution.. That makes a huge difference there too for the overall "theater" experience.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
It appears to me to depend on the source. Some DVD's suffer from problems and need the full controls available to the Svideo input. The "Sound of Music" DVD really has a lot of film grain (along with edge enhancement that seems to make the grain "pop out".) and it's nice to electronically deemphasize it. Most aggressively Edge enhanced DVD's require the ability to pull back on the 'electronic' sharpness.

My panny RP-62 can make very clean DVD's look incredible through the VGA input. And it can make subpar DVD's (or DVD's with too much film grain) look very bad. It's nice to have Svideo as a more adjustable alternative.

Of course, I may be too close to the screen. I use a 62.5" X 49" screen and sit eight to nine feet from it. But, I like it! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.