AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what functions are available in the X1 service menu?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Thats something I also wondered about.All this talk yet no ones even mentioned it far Ive read.Which I find rather odd.Things that make you go HMM....

·
Registered
307 Posts
It appears as nobody on this forum has the access code to X1 service menu. Or, if someone does, they will not share it.

This has been discussed before several times, with no results.

I personally have made many efforts to solve this puzzle but I failed.

I'm affraid the only place it can be found is The Infocus Engineering Chamber of Secrets ;)

piesek

·
Registered
310 Posts
There is only one person I know of with access. KBK. He created the only "spinoff" X1 on the market the GOO .5.

Might be worth asking?? Though I think it doubtful.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Come one surely someone knows something about this.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
What I would like to see is a grid pattern that the projector would display which would enable quick and easy refocusing and that is not DVD (input) dependent. (And I don't mean using the SDE :p)

My RPTV had an accessible service menu. The X1 must have one somewhere. Bob? Technut? Anyone?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Im more interested in some kinda color and tint control in vga input.Thats the only real problem I have with the X1.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cipher
I imagine Gamma control is available.
Oooooh I would hope so.

I'm running in presentation mode at the moment because I project a 10' wide screen and really need the extra lumens but the gamma setting in presentation mode is really bad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This has been discussed ad nauseum before. There were even people contemplating coding a program via IRBlaster that would use every conceivable remote combination (one needs 6) to try to access it. Nothing ever came of it. Bottom line, noone knows it, and it hasn't been accessed yet to the knowledge of this forum.

Rgds,

JohnW

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyrano
Bob? Technut? Anyone?
Believe me, I'm not holding out on anybody. If I knew it, I'd be letting you know!
Quote:
Originally posted by dum_71
There is only one person I know of with access. KBK. He created the only "spinoff" X1 on the market the GOO .5. Might be worth asking?? Though I think it doubtful.
A couple of months ago Ken and I were discussing firmware and I asked him:

Me: There is a rumour that you might have the X1 service menu access code. Any truth to that?

Ken: No, I don't have access to the service menu, I merely proposed an easy way of gaining that access -on the AVS forum... if anyone wanted to follow it up.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nisei
I'm running in presentation mode at the moment because I project a 10' wide screen and really need the extra lumens but the gamma setting in presentation mode is really bad.
I'm with you on wanting to be able to tweak the gamma. But I'm more interested in it for Film and Video mode.

I'm don't think you can get just "extra lumens" and keep a reasonable gamma in Presentation mode. It's not like some projectors that have a low power and a high power mode where the lamp actually burns brighter in high power mode. On the X1, those extra lumens come from projecting through a clear segment on the wheel, so all you're really doing is boosting the white levels. This is pretty obvious if you freeze an image in a film that has a good mix of shadow and color and a few white highlights. Flip to Presentation mode and the whites jump out at you, but everything else is relatively uneffected.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Man thats just crazy.I see service menus for just about every tv out there.Yet I cant even find a hint of it for the most popular projector out there.What was his method for "proposed an easy way of gaining that access ".Why is infocus holding out on us lol,its our toy if we wanna break it ,thats our right lol.I understand why companies dont like it,but we're all hardly the average joe off the street either.Ive been in serveral tvs service menus and am probably just as qualified as half the techs Ive seen out there.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hdtv00
What was his method for "proposed an easy way of gaining that access ".
Ken was proposing determining how many InfraRed sequences the remote can generate and then using a PC with an IR transmitter to run through the possibilities.

The main problem I see with this (besides a large number of possibilities) is detecting when the PC hits the right sequence. You'd need some kind of input (webcam?) to trigger when the PC finally got it right.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by technut Canada
I'm don't think you can get just "extra lumens" and keep a reasonable gamma in Presentation mode. It's not like some projectors that have a low power and a high power mode where the lamp actually burns brighter in high power mode. On the X1, those extra lumens come from projecting through a clear segment on the wheel, so all you're really doing is boosting the white levels. This is pretty obvious if you freeze an image in a film that has a good mix of shadow and color and a few white highlights. Flip to Presentation mode and the whites jump out at you, but everything else is relatively uneffected.
You're right Mike, it only boosts the highlights. But when I tried Presentation mode the other day and compared it with film mode I was very impressed with the brilliant highlights and I have tweaked presentation mode in every way I can. The result is pretty good but gamma control would definitely improve the picture. Problem is I don't want to go back to film mode now I've seen the brilliant highlights in presentation mode. It definitely increases contrast range and gives a more film-like imperession. There are drawbacks like more noise in bright areas but I still think it's worth trying to get it right. :)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
As I said, I don't have the service menu key.

But for anybody that wants to look into this further for themselves, maybe I can save you some time by providing a few links and a bit of advice. Trust me, this won't instantly reveal the menu key... but it's a starting point. And you might learn some interesting things along the way.

The easiest way to gain some insight into binary code like firmware or other programs (eg .exe files) is to just browse through it looking for text strings. You probably won't find the menu key this way, but it is educational none the less.

One warning before going any further. Don't be misled by how easy it is to modify files. In the vast majority of cases if you tinker with a file you WILL break SOMETHING, and it could be something expensive like your projector! So LOOK, but DON'T TOUCH. Make a copy of any files you want to look at, only work with the copies, and delete them when you're done so that you don't accidentally load them onto the projector.

So you're ready to start browsing for text strings? There's one preliminary step you need to take first.

Unfortunately the X1's firmware files (*.he_) are not actually stored in binary, they are in Intel Hex format (used by EPROM burners etc). Details on the format are here:
http://www.rosprombank.ru/~ig/hexforms.html#inhx32

So if you browse through one of the *.he_ files, you won't find text strings because they are all stored as Hex numbers. What you first need to do is convert them to binary using a program like hex-bin.exe found at
http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone16/cat919/3179.htm

Note that this is a DOS program and it only accepts 8.3 format filenames, so you'll have to rename the files or use their 8.3 DOS equivalent names.

Then when you have the files in binary, browse through them. There are loads of binary/hex viewers/editors at
http://www.programmersheaven.com/zon...t862/index.htm

which you can use to browse through code. But perhaps the simplest way to do it is to just open it in WordPad, because WordPad will blindly read binary files. Since there aren't regular line breaks you'll have to tell Wordpad to wrap the lines (View/Options/Wrap to Window) in order to see everything.

What you'll see is a lot of gibberish (the code) with a few readable text strings sprinkled through it. But it's quite a mess to read it all that way. So an even better way to read it is with a utility designed to extract text strings from binary code. A great example is BinaryTextScan, available here:
http://www.searchlores.org/zipped/bintscan.zip

When you are reading the text strings you'll notice there is quite a bit of text that you don't see in the menus.

However, as interesting and tantalizing as the text strings are, I believe someone will have to go a lot deeper into the files than this in order to determine what the service menu key is. The next step is to read the non-text parts of the file. So only those who can read and make sense of raw assembler code need to continue any further.

What, still reading?? OK, well the firmware code in the X1 is executed by the processor in the Pixelworks chip, which has an 80186 compatible CPU core. So the firmware code is going to be 80x86 code, which is common enough. The next task would be to use a disassembler to examine the code to find the input handler and trace what it does when you get to the service menu key input.

I don't think I'm the one that is going to do this, but if someone else does it I'd love to hear about it. If you think you are up to the task, then you can probably find a suitable disassembler on the 'net as easily as I can. I've heard good things about the freeware version of IDA PRO (idafree.zip).

Hope that helps someone. Good luck with it!

Edited Nov 13, 2003 to add:

Another good tool for extracting text strings from binaries (instead of BinaryTextScan) is TextScan from AnalogX.
http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...m/textscan.htm

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Or we could just hire Bond...James Bond.To break into Infocus headquaters and steal the code for us.........LOL.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I've looked at the strings and disassembled the code; the disassembled code isn't all that easy to poke at w/o debug symbols, which have been stripped from the firmware distribution.

I like the idea of the IR blaster and a little patience.

anyone?

Mark

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
what you do, is try it and look in on the PJ once ever half hour or so. Once it is in the service menu, it will probably not skip out. Therefore,when you walk into the room, it should still be in it, even though it may be banging away at the code. (this is hypothesis, not fact. The reality may be different)

Then you can narrow down the search parameters according to the last bit of searching. then do it more slowly, while remaining in the room, and thus catch the exact sequence.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Sony TV that requires you to hold down a tiny button on the back with a small screw driver and turn the TV on at the same time to get the TV into service mode.

Since you need to hold down the two keystone keys and turn on the X1 to get it into firmware upgrade mode maybe it's a combination of buttons to hold down on the X1 and then turn it on in order to put it into service mode.

Just a thought...

Nowhereman.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.