AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on ceiling mounting my X1 at some point soon which leads me to the following question I have not found an answer for:

Is it okay to continually leave the X1's physical power switch (on the side of the X1 itself) turned on?

The FAQ explains how the X1 cannot be fully powered down by the remote itself. Initially the fan stays on full tilt until the unit is cooled then it seems to go to some low power mode, but is still moving air and audible.

Do users who ceiling mount physically turn on and off their X1 switch between uses, or leave it on all the time and strictly use the remote to turn the lamp on and off when using?

Curious...

-dcs

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess one solution would be to wire a wall switch the the X1's power outlet, but I'm not sure how good that is for the machine.

Essentially I'm trying to avoid having to get on a ladder before/after every movie I watch.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
This has been covered before but there a lot of new X1 people.

Using the X1 as a room air cleaner would not be too good for the X1. And if the power in the house has a momentary on/off event (happens in the Northwest fairly often) the projector will come on to full power.

Ratshack has remote control devices for switches and outlets. I use one for the room lights.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
What Cyrano says about using the X1 as a room air cleaner is absolutely correct and should answer your question. My X1 is also ceiling mounted and I have built a cabinet for my htpc and audio amp right below it. I use a switched, lighted extension cord to power the X1. In case I forget to turn off the pj, hopefully the light coming from the switch of the extension cord will remind me. These cords also have the benefit of being very cheap.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I thought it was in technut's FAQ, but the X1 lamp actually does better if you just switch the power off. The down side however, is that it will take longer to cool down before it can restrike (aka before you can use the projector again). That time frame is probably on the order of one hour or less.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't ususally power off with the main switch. I have pulled the bulb unit after about four months in a typically dusty area there wasn't much to clean there. X1 recommends cleaning the bulb filters every 200 hours anyway.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
ClickHere2Surf's link says:

How can I maximize my lamp life?

Always allow the projector to completely run through its shutdown cycle before unplugging it. We also recommend cleaning the dust screens on the lamp module every 200 - 250 hours.

Thanks ClickHere2Surf

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I just use the remote.

I don't think its the fan that make the small noise when in standby, but the transformer or something, as the fans (one for lamp, one colourwheel) ain't spining.

I'll confirm this when i get mine back (dirty fan broke :( )

Apparently 48hour turnaround for repairs, i surely hope so

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Always allow the projector to completely run through its shutdown cycle before unplugging it. We also recommend cleaning the dust screens on the lamp module every 200 - 250 hours.
ok so which one is it? through shutdown cycle? Or unplug or power off to let teh lamp cool down slowly?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Just "pulling the plug" id say would see an initial rise in lamp/housing temp as the air flow has stopped. This could be bad? Similar to when a car is turned off (ie water temp rises, as flow stops)

Leaving the fan running (during the 1 min cooliong) would see a more consistent cooling with no rise in temp.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, I'm not sure I can convince people otherwise about lamps because it seems counter common-sense... but believe it or not, its better to just pull the plug from the bulb's stand point.

The lamp is happier cooling down slowly. While spoonfed is correct, the heat inside the enclosure will rise, but that environment around the bulb will never be hotter than the environment INSIDE the bulb when its running (mind you, we're talking about gas so hot that its glowing), there is no danger of damage to the bulb if you just unplug the unit.

The reason the equipment doesn't automatically do that is because you can't use the projector again until the bulb has cooled down. And since it might take an hour for it to cool down by natural convection and condution, they run the fan.

Again, my apologies for not searching the info out and publishing the link, but I know from experience in the lighting fixture field the bulb is happy and I'm positive I've seen it posted about the X1.

Hope this is helpful!

Edit: OK I went and found the info in Technut's FAQ :

Quote:
"The X1 is designed so you can simply power it off without running the fans. The lamp and the parts around it have no trouble handling the heat. The lamp is actually happier cooling off slowly than quickly (as most really hot things are), and it just means that you need to wait a bit longer before you turn it on again.

2-3 minutes is pretty much all you need to wait. The lamp needs to be cool enough to successfully re-strike. Lamp life will be slightly degraded each time it does not strike properly."

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoonfed
I don't think its the fan that make the small noise when in standby, but the transformer or something, as the fans (one for lamp, one colourwheel) ain't spining.
Sorry to post two things in a row that look to pick on you Spoonfed... Its not intentional! Just providing info ;^)

There are actually two cooling fans inside the X1.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yep, The 6cm behind the colourwheel/light engine, and the 8cm behind the lamp housing.

While mine is stuffed (getting fixed) i did test to see if they did spin, they appear not to (neither on mates X1 either). The "buzz" comes from the rear of the unit it seems, i guessed the transformer/power supply.

I'll have to check when i get it back

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Grandarf,

Given my unit ran for approx 10 hours with NO lamp fan (ie broken), so much for heat temp detection, it got too hot to touch the case, ie burning, and the unit smelt a bit, but still all functional, so i think it will be OK.

There should be an option to shutdown the unit the same way with remote (ie like pulling the power). As in HT setup its not always practical to flick power switch. (and im toooooooo lazy also) haha

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well thanks for the feedback. I'll look into a remote controlled outlet when I get around to mounting it.

Sounds like everyone agrees however leaving it in standy-by mode as an "air filter" is not a good choice.

Initially powering down w/ remote vs switch seems to be a tossup, however always power down with switch/unplug when not in use.

Thanks again,

-dcs

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.