AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I am setting up my first theater room and just mounted the projector 15' back from my screen wall. Powered up and the picture is way off to the right of the screen. My mount allows for some adjustment but if I turn it far enough to be centered in the screen it ends up tilted and leaning. I understand how the pincushion function works and this is not the problem. I went back to the manual and discovered that the projector should be mounted at a right angle to the screen! I just assumed that it should be centered to the screen so thats what I did. Thats what I get for assuming! Anyway, my question is this, must the mounting be at a "true" 90 degree angle to the screen? This seems a bit extreme since my screen wall is 134" wide, the screen is 96" wide, leaving 19" spacing on both sides of the screen. Does this mean that on the other end of the room the projector should be only 19" from the side of the adjoining wall? It's not a problem for me to move it but I want to get it right this time. Any suggestions or words of advise?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well it should be mounted at a 90% angle and the lens needs to be perfectly level to avoid keystone. There is a ratio or percentage that the mounted projector needs to be above the screen in order to get perfect geometry and it varies weather you are going with a 16:9 screen or a 4:3 screen, It can be found in the manual. One thing to keep in mind which I made the mistake on - and it hurt me (because I only had a few inches on each side to work with) is that It's not the center of the projector that needs to be in the middle but the center of the lens - which is about 2 inches from the center of the projector. What happen with me is I made my measurement and found where the center of my screen would be then with out thinking I Centered my Ceiling mount on that center, and that put my lens 2 inches to the right and made a horizontal keystone. I only have 4 inches on each side of my screen to adjust because of a wall and a door. But I'll either rehang it or live with it, You should keep it in mind though. david

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
This might be helpful:
http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/#5.2.2

As was mentioned, you need to center the LENS of the projector on the horizontal center of the screen. What they mean by a right angle is not that you should mount the projector at the edge of the screen, but rather that the projector must be aimed straight at the screen (ie. 90 degrees to it), and not aiming at some angle from one end or the other.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I think I understand now. Hopefully I should be able to shift my mount to the left a few inches to get the LENS centered and then make my adjustments. Now, if I can just patch those extra holes in the ceiling before the wife sees them...dooh!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.