AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had the Infocus X1 since Feb 04 and have done approx 1500hrs (on my 3rd globe already!!)

Started to have an issue recently were I power the unit up and no picture appears even though the start up sequence has gone ahead as normal, the LED is on static green and the globe has powered up, the only way to get the baby to fire up is to complete a cold boot (remove power cord) I have had this happen about 3 times in about many months.

It is ceiling mounted and besides going in for a service about a year ago and to clean the filters now and again it has not been moved or played with, anyone have any idea on this start up issue?

Thanks for a great forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't have an answer, but I've had the same problem with my X1. It doesn't happen very often, maybe 3 times in the past 6 months. But the same thing happens to me and I'd love to find a solution. Sometimes I'll turn on the projector, the bulb looks like it is on, but there is no picture on the screen/wall. I'll just flip the power switch off and come back later and it works fine.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Only 1500 hours and three bulbs already, you must be a glutton for punishment! Seriously, I would look into your power supply. It almost sounds like your AC is sending huge fluctuations in power. I know that this kills computers, and probably bulbs also.

Myself, I only have 1000 hours since May 2003 and I am still on the first bulb.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I have almost 2k hours since July 2003 on the first lamp. If you are leaving the X1 in the soft-off (remote off only) position the X1 is vulnerable to all fluctuations in your power supply. Also: one fan runs 24/7 in the soft-off position and the X1 becomes a room air filter.

The X1 should be shut off completely (hard-off) after each use. Either switch the rocker switch off or remove power to the outlet. My X1 is low enough that I can simply switch off the rocker switch after the soft-off (remote only) cycle is complete.

Many claim that the hard-off is all that is needed (they are probably right) but I like to do the remote-off first just in case I am going to restart the pj soon.

Infocus recommends cleaning the filters every 200 - 250 hours. I found that this was true for the first cleaning but after that I haven't found a lot of dust. For those who don't remove power to the X1 at each shutdown the dust might be worse.

However, there are those who never clean the filters and leave the small, very quiet fan (some people don't know one is running all the time in the remote-off only position) and have no problems.

(But then some people smoke and never get ill effects from it. But the odds are better to practice good care. ;) )

I wasn't sure what your practice is but I thought I'd mention the above just in case.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
i typically agree with you cyrano, but not this time. i come from the soft off camp and don't beleive there's any negative affect on the lamp in this mode. i think ANY version of ON is what is hard on a lamp and quite honestly, i've been meaning to purchase an air filter. until i do, i'll use my pj. ;) seriously though, clean your filters often, respect the golden hour rule, and enjoy your projector. if you really have gone through 3 bulbs with less than a thousand hours each, it's my guess it's power related, but not from leaving it in standby. my guess is there's something else going on, or something you may have left out.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
The real problem with the soft off position is that if there are fluctuations in one's local power grid the X1 can be affected negatively. It won't happen to everyone but it will happen to some. My neighbor came back from a weekend trip to find his X1 had been on while he was gone because we had a power outage. When the power came back on his X1 came back on with the lamp on. Of course, if he had put the X1 into the mode where it shuts off when no signal is present for a certain amount of time that would have solved that problem. But where we live (out in the woods) we have many power on and off events. Trees on power lines and such. The dancing lights don't mind but I do think the PJ does.

I do have a UPS for our X1 and it has helped.

I do think leaving the X1 in standby where power is not steady will limit the life of the lamp. I also think that what limits lamp life is having a lot of on and off cycles go through the filaments. I agree that it's better to leave it in standby all day if one is going to use it again later. But I could be wrong. There is no reason to not turn off the power when one is away from the house. IMO

If one is going to err, do it on the side of caution. :)

Happy HTing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for yor replies, in answer I have followed the following practise from globe # 2:

-Soft power off with remote, then once fans slow down hard power off (the Power cord stays plugged in and on at the wall.

- Clean out Filters every 250hrs (try too - dont get much chance if the globes keep on blowing!!)

- As I mentioned unit is ceiling mounted and no one else operates it besides myself

- Firmware is at 4.3

I Think I would probably look at getting a little UPS - incase of power fluctuations.

Still doesn't answer my original question of why the picture doesnt come up after start up though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.