AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My X1 still hasn't shipped from dell yet and i'm very anxious. This is my first foray into front pj setups. I've been reading a lot here lately and checking out as much info as i can.

To be honest I'm just having second thoughts. One of the main issues is the fact that this machine is native 4:3 where most everything else is 16:9. The second issue is the lack of pixels.

I could very easily cancel my order and purchase the Z1 or the L300. They are both native 16:9 and have more pixels (1/4 HD).... I don't know why i'm so anxious. I guess I just want to be sure I made the RIGHT decision. I think I have - maybe I just need convincing.

Have any of you ever been very concerned with your purchase and had a lot of "what if's"? I'm a college student so a lot of my decisions in this situations have been made out of reccomendations and faith. I just want to be pleased at the end.

Do you all have any advice on what I should do? I guess I need some reassurance that I made a good/smart decision or I need someone to tell me that there is a better alternative.

I appologize if this post is very wishywashy. I'm sure you all have experienced what I have experienced.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The fact that you're a college student leads me to say wait for the X1 and save that extra few hundred bucks. You most likely wouldn't notice the difference in resolution. It's not that much. Assuming the X1 is your first projector, then you should be very happy with it. You should be happy with any of those three choices.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figures :confused: :rolleyes:

I just got this email:

We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship

your order sooner,

we are experiencing an unexpected delay and will not be able to ship this

order and

any associated orders until on or before 10/10/2003.

No action is required to proceed with the new date, however, if you do not

wish to wait,

you may cancel your order and receive a prompt refund.

If you have any questions, please contact Dell at 800-289-3355, extension

66966 or

This just totally pisses me off.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fish Tank
That's a good point Fish Tank. :D

OptKill -

First of all, don't sweat your decision. You now have over a week to skim the forums for advice....and there's plenty out there on the X1. I will tell you my thought process and you can take it w/ a grain of salt.

I was originally focused on the 300U. However, I began to think about what I would be using it for. In my case, I was planning on using a HTPC as my driver. That being the case, I began to become concerned about how much of the horizontal space that I would lose whenever I did anything on the PC or watched a 4:3 movie. Of course, I had to weigh this up against the vertical resolution loss I would have with the X1. Others have decided otherwise, but I couldn't bare the idea of having that loss of image width.

Then, the X1 dropped in price to sub-$1K. That put the nail in the Panasonic coffin, but the z1 was now the issue. Fortunately, there were enough people out there touting the HD capability and amazing PQ of the X1 that I decided it was time to do a test-run. Since the X1 was accessible via BB, it was the prime target for the test-run. The rest is history.

The PQ of the X1 is utterly amazing. OTA HD look amazing. I did find after a little while that I can see rainbows. However, they have eased over time and when I see them it is not a big issue. When I weigh that against the screendoor that I've seen w/ an LCD that I borrowed from work, I take it as an acceptable tradeoff for what I'm getting.

The bottom line for a lot of us is the almighty dollar....You should understand this as a college student. For the money we are talking about (I'm assuming you're getting that sub $800 deal), you cannot get anything comparable. So, sit back and wait with anticipation. You will not regret it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TurboDog1
That's a good point Fish Tank. :D
Yeah, I'm a word minimalist :p

We browned out here, lost computer.

What I was trying to say is don't sweat it. I own a Z1, but as far as the X1 goes, your fears will all go away as soon as you fire it up. There are plenty of X1 fanatics that'll back up your decision.

·
Registered
154 Posts
optikill, just wondering, what is your room size and desired screen size? have you considered purchasing a used crt? i bought a sony 1031q from curt palme and couldn't be happier, and for well below the price of an x1! although the initial setup can be tough for the average user, i think it's well worth it. i'm able to project onto a 80x45" screen from 8 feet away, with excellent contrast and black level, and no screendoor or rainbows to worry about. cruise on by the crt forums when you get a chance! if you want to use your projector for games as well, then i would say stick with the X1, as you don't want to risk burning a CRT's tubes with e.g. a HUD. and the X1's native 800x600 resolution is more common in games than a Z1/L300's 960x540

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think I had a moment of freakout. I'm still worried, but the delay is making it worse..... i do have a BB where I could just go pick one up, but i would have to pay an additional 100 (i had to pay taxes on it from dell as well) bucks to pick it up now.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Bottom Line, The Dealer Cost on the X1 is $900. Dell is not making any money on those purchases and frankly wants to get out of the deal if they can. They did not anticipate the coupon problems in regards to the X1.

Rest Assured you are getting a GREAT Price on the X1. You will like the projector. Having the X1 gives you both Great 4:3 Picture and Great Wide Screen Picture. Why settle for Wide Screen when you can have both. None of the other projectors has the Faraouda Chip and soon the X1 won't either. If I was a college student, I would be saying Oh YEAH OH Yeah, Oh YEah. It is going to be a super babe machine and you just can't get a better price.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
You will love the X1. I have one and it really is a winner.

There is a post on the 35mmforum.com from a film buff who encounters a college student in a dorm with an X1. He was amazed at the quality of the machine for the price.

There are better machines but no better value.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The dealer cost is not $900 just so you know.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was (am) that 35mm 'film buff'. I have a complete 35mm real-film home theatre, as well as an X1 for DVD's, which I project on the same screen, though only about half the size of 35mm.

The X1 is a wonderful machine, and I'm continually amazed at how it performs for what it costs .. but, in no way should its image be compared to the quality of image one can get from real film. No video projector can compare to real film .. not yet. It's simply impossible with current technology. The definition, contrast and color range just aren't high enough in video today. The day will come, however. Probably sooner than later.

The X1 IS great for projecting current limited-definition (SD) DVD's on a fairly 'large' home screen. I just don't want it thought that I consider the X1 a comparable substitute for real 35mm film projection .. when that projection is done RIGHT, with care, as it is in 35mm screening rooms, both commercial and home. Neither of which should be confused with your local Gigaplex and its, usually, terrible presentation.

Just wanted to set the record straight .. and I DO love BOTH 35mm real-film and my little X1.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Then Pray tell HDTV00, then what do you think the cost is....... I had it on very very reliable sources that that was what dealer cost was/is about three/four months ago when I bought my X1.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by optikill
Figures :confused: :rolleyes:

I just got this email:

We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship

your order sooner,

we are experiencing an unexpected delay and will not be able to ship this

order and

any associated orders until on or before 10/10/2003.

No action is required to proceed with the new date, however, if you do not

wish to wait,

you may cancel your order and receive a prompt refund.

I've bought thousands of dollars of equipment from Dell Small Business over the past few years and have seen this many times. They run promo's and are not prepared to handle the flood of orders when a particular "hot" item works into stackable coupon deals. I eventually gave up the fight and just started cancelling my orders when this happens. It may be 2 weeks, or you may be checking back in this thread in 2 months still waiting on Dell to ship your order. Let us know how it works out, but my gambling money is on you having to wait quite a while before you see your X1 at the price you ordered it from Dell. ;)

btw.. I pd more at new egg but had it 3 days after I ordered it (free fed ex). Good choice. It's a great projector.

·
Registered
238 Posts
They're simply complying with the law for backorders on mail-ordered goods (yeah, I know it's not strictly 'mail-order', but the same laws apply). It may ship tomorrow, but they're required to let you know the outside timeframe and give you an opportunity to cancel the order.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yup i've been considering doing that. I love new egg - such a great company to order from. I might actually do that considering - NO TAX and Free shipping. Also returns are not a hassle with them.

hrmmmmm you got me thinking now..... price difference would be.... (953 after tax from dell shipped) vs. (949 after instant 50 rebate and free shipping). Hrmmmm looks like i'm cancelling......

the only downside is. If i must make a return it is for same item only.

thoughts? Opinions?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Yost
They're simply complying with the law for backorders on mail-ordered goods (yeah, I know it's not strictly 'mail-order', but the same laws apply). It may ship tomorrow, but they're required to let you know the outside timeframe and give you an opportunity to cancel the order.

Ron Yost
I agree Ron, However one would think with the sales Volume Dell does that they would have a better real-time inventory system in place. SAP maybe or something...

I have ordered Sticks of memory at a killer deal, only to receive my order confirmation and BackOrder notice within 12 hours of placing my order.. while the site still shows "in Stock" ! So compliance or not.. I still don't completely trust them. When someone figures out how to buy items at or near cost, a red flag is going up a pole somewhere. ;) Or maybe their inventory control is just subpar. :)

·
Banned
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Yost
I don't think this is the normal "hotdeal" where people order thousands of them and Dell can't keep up. Afterall, these cost $1000. Not everyone can afford them, and there is a limited supply of the 20% coupons, so I think while it sold reasonably well, it isn't the second coming of Christ. It isn't like when they sold $9.95 network cards for 95 cents and it took a couple of months to fulfil the massive orders. I suspect these will probably ship in reasonable time.

That being said, it does bug me how their site takes forever to update stock status.

Oh yeah, stop wringing your hands over this deal. There are very few things in the $1000 range that can touch the size and quality of this thing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.