AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a lot of interest in the X1 due to its price and performance so I thought this might help some of the newbies see That you don't have to be an electronics genius or have a huge budget to put together a nice home theater. I didn't put a lot of information with the gallery pics and as an after thought I decided to post some info here instead.

My original projector was an Infocus LP530 that I purchased about 2 years ago. At the time it was a pretty nice projector. Last December I helped my neighbor put together a home theater and we ordered him an X1. After getting his theater setup I was impressed with the X1 and decided to sell my LP530 and purchase an X1 banking the extra money until some new 16:9 machines came out. I have been very happy with the X1. I don't see rainbows so the 2x color wheel isn't a problem for me or anyone who has seen my setup. My room dimensions are 11.5' x 21' I set my room so that I am viewing from the shorter distance due to the layout of the room itself as far as running cables in the finished ceiling, the location of the corner fireplace and some other things that would have been a pain to change.

The sound system consists of a Pioneer Vsxd811s 6.1 receiver and JBL simply cinema speakers. I upgraded the sub to a BIC 12" 325watt sub. This made a big improvement. The sound system sounds pretty good and fits the room size. I didn't want big huge speakers all over the place.

The HTPC is a P4 Dell with a ATI all in wonder 7500 video card. I am planning on upgrading to HDTV and digital cable once it is available in my area.

I Purchased a lot of home theater accessories on-line. One of my favorites is the remote control dimming switch for the lights that is controlled by a button on my receivers learning remote. I also have several posters, some DTS and dolby digital plaques, A DIY film reel table and a few other movie related things.

Please check out my pictures on the AVS gallery!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Could you please post a link, there are tons of pages over there to surf through, thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marissadad
Could you please post a link, there are tons of pages over there to surf through, thanks.
Huh? Just click on "gallery" at the top of his post. :)

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
DOH! I've never noticed that before.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Hey, you know what's better than a screenshot? A video. I have a 32 second clip of Spiderman being displayed on at about 9 feet wide. The image is awesome. Some parts look like they're flying right at my camcorder.

Just keep in mind that I captured at a lower resolution than my digital camcorder actually is and made it 352x240. So as long as you keep the video at no larger than 100% and you have your monitor's picture settings set fairly well it should show you how incredible the X1 can look. Follow that and you should be amazed. I know I am.

The file is only about 2.8mbs (less than a lot of songs) and I play mine in windows media player. Go download it here (I hope the link works):

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/buyitch...rman_on_X1.avi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dean Martin,

Thanks for the compliment. I know I love looking at pictures of other peoples theaters so I finally found time to post some of my own.

The film reel table was made from 2 Goldberg film reels about 15" in diameter I believe they were 16mm size not the typical 35mm size that most people use. The thinner 16mm size are much easier to come by and also much cheaper. You could spend anywhere from $50-$100 a piece for 35mm goldberg reels in good condition I paid about $10.00 for both of mine off of Ebay. The glass I purchased from a local glass shop with a beveled edge for about $20.00 and the connecting rods are just wooden dowel rods. Just paintand assemble and you are all set. I got the idea from the "home theater accessories" section of this forum. just do a search on film reel table and you should find a bunch of pictures and info.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Bigdogcycles, very very nice setup! I'm impressed with how you've integrated everything together. And, how many theatres have a cozy fireplace for wintertime! Hmm .. I wonder how firelight will affect a picture? Never heard that discussed. I'm kidding.

Anyhow, nice, very comfortable looking HT, Bigdogcycles. Congrats, and thanks for sharing.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MTyson
Hey, you know what's better than a screenshot? A video. I have a 32 second clip of Spiderman being displayed on at about 9 feet wide. The image is awesome. Some parts look like they're flying right at my camcorder.

Just keep in mind that I captured at a lower resolution than my digital camcorder actually is and made it 352x240. So as long as you keep the video at no larger than 100% and you have your monitor's picture settings set fairly well it should show you how incredible the X1 can look. Follow that and you should be amazed. I know I am.

The file is only about 2.8mbs (less than a lot of songs) and I play mine in windows media player. Go download it here (I hope the link works):

http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/buyitch...rman_on_X1.avi
I appear to be missing a Quicktime Component and my Mac was unable to locate it. I am running the latest version of QT and have also upgraded to QT Pro.

Is anyone else having trouble?

Greg Matty

·
Registered
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Matty
Is anyone else having trouble?
The clip won't run on my Windows Media Player 9 either.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Real One plays AVI films? Anyway, I'm on a Mac, using Firebird and the current QT and I have no problem seeing the film. There is no sound, but QT sometimes has problems with AVI sound or there may be no sound in the film.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You need the DivX codec to play this file on the Windows Media Player. Go to www.divx.com and they have a free download. I think it was worth the trouble. One of the silver objects looks like it is actually flying from the room into the screen. Thanks for posting the clip. I had almost ruled out the X1 because of the rainbow fear, but now will definitely have to check one out in person.

P.S. What kind of screen are you using?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Further
Real One plays AVI films? Anyway, I'm on a Mac, using Firebird and the current QT and I have no problem seeing the film. There is no sound, but QT sometimes has problems with AVI sound or there may be no sound in the film.
I like to think I am pretty in touch with the Mac world but I have not heard of Firebird. What is it?

Greg Matty

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
At the time of the video I was using a textured white wall (The actual image looked just as 3D as it did in the video).

I got the X1 with no time to get a real screen. Right now I am experimenting with screens ideas, since the X1 is just a demo.

Now I am using a paper bag brown screen (I accidentally stumbled onto this idea). Seems strange aye? Once I calibrate all of the settings it produces good blacks and good colors (I didn't feel like painting anything right now either). The only problem I have with this setting is whites aren't as white as they should be, but my eyes adjusted and they look fine. I'm looking to get a good grey screen.

Don't be too surprised, because I also tried a HUGE black screen. Yes, black. I had to do a lot of readjusting, but I ended up with a good picture. It looked fantastic during dark scenes. The blacks were about perfect. The only reason I tried this was because I hung a large black sheet on the wall I was projecting on, and I had planned to put the screen inside the black area. Basically, the black sheet was just supposed to be a border. Being who I am, I couldn't help but seeing what I could get out of a black screen. lol.

I'll probable end up buying the X1 even though I have a CRT Sony VPH-1031Q on the way. So, I'll probably get about 96-100" (width) of canvas material on Ebay and possibly some digital grey screen goo.

The X1 is simply an awesome projector for the money. I have yet to see a rainbow, but I will not go looking for them. Anyone seriously considering the X1 should get a demo or at least have a look at the video I posted.

Peace.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also spent some time trying different shades of white/gray paint on my parkland plastics screen. Bewteen my LP530 and X1 I bet I have put about 15 coats of paint on that thing! The screen probably weighs twice as much as when I started out. Anyhow, I have finally settled on just a flat white paint. The semi-gloss paints and even satin or eggshell had some hot spotting, and I didn't like the way the whites looked with a gray screen. My neighbor with the X1 just shines his on a pale green wall and he is projecting about a 120" image and it still looks pretty good. To each his own I guess. As for the rainbows, This is just my opinion, I think you can do a lot to reduce the chances of seeing rainbows if 1. you calibrate your projector correctly 2. You don't try to go too big with the screen in relation to your seating position. 3. Some people are so worried about the rainbow effect and go out of their way trying to see them and once you do know what it looks like you are sxxxwed. You will always be looking for them. It's like having one bad pixel on your screen and because you know its there you are constantly drawn to it.

Just my 2 cents worth ; )

·
Registered
238 Posts
The best white wall paint contains a high quantity of titanium dioxide. That's what makes it 'white'. You're looking for a high-quality 'base white', with no added color tints.

One way to tell a good paint is by price, asuming you're not looking at a 'designer brand', where you pay a premium for the name.

Another way is to lift the cans. Pick the heaviest white paint to be found and you'll have the highest t.d. content (it will also cost the most .. t.d. is far more expensive than chaulk filler). For best results, don't use 'off white' warmish paint .. you want a refrigerator white .. a stark, slightly blueish-white.

If you need a grey screen, I have no experience with them. :)

Ron Yost

Ron Yost

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.