Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

Now that we can finally search on two-letter search terms (e.g., "X1", "Z1", etc.) (thanks David!!), I would like to ask everyone's help in cutting down on the proliferation of X1 threads in this forum. Before starting yet another thread on the X1, please, I beg you: Use the search function and try to find a pre-existing thread that deals with the subject you wish to discuss. This posting guideline has actually always been in place, but until now it was difficult to put into practice for X1 threads because members couldn't search for "X1" to find a previous discussion on the subject they wanted to talk about. Now there is no longer any excuse for starting new threads on the same subject over and over and over.

At this point, we have about 1.2 gazillion threads on the X1, and just about every question under the sun regarding this projector has been asked already. We will be carefully scrutinizing new and existing X1 threads over the next few days and will merge threads as warranted--please help stem the tide and don't start new X1 topics unless a search fails to turn up a thread that's already in progress. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
This is definitely a big step forward. Other related ideas:

1. Some members suggest model specific forum. I for one would like to continue to keep all projectors in one forum. I bought a Panny L200U but I am always interested in reading about other pjs as well. A modified idea is to set up (popular) model specific stickys / FAQs - one for Infocus X1, one for Sanyo Z1, one Panasonic 100, 200, 300, etc. This is probably too much work for the mods, but I am sure there are advanced members who are willing to help. Hey, Technut has one done for X1 already. (Great job!)

2. Addition to forum policy / etiquette - no 'first impression' posts six months after a pj has shipped. I'll probably get flamed for this one, but weighing the data volume issue against your right to speak your mind, some hard choices need to be made.

3. A first time buyer FAQ - probably seperated from the forum FAQ so that it is not too overwhelming. This can address a lot of the trivial posts like "What screen size?", "LCD or DLP?", etc.

Rick

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. We're not going to start another forum... that has been suggested for every "hot" projector that's come down the pike. Why? Too much additional problems with moderating it, mostly. (That's straight from Alan & David, btw)

2. I don't think there is a problem with these kinds of posts IF members stick to replying to one of the dozens of existing "First impressions" threads. I will start merging new threads of this type (along with any other new X1 threads that repeat previous discussions) into existing threads if I see them, though.

3. The Forum FAQ project (which has fallen by the wayside due to time pressures with other projects) is supposed to address questions like this. Once the permanent FAQ is finished though, I don't really want to have a balkanization of FAQ threads for much the same reason we don't want to see multiple projector forums.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree an X1 forum would not be appropriate.

However, given how the low-end HT market has shifted down over the last year, maybe changing or adding to the price ranges of the existing forums would help. I think an entry level forum (Under 2.5K would be appropriate, and focus many of the nooB questions in one place, leaving other forums less cluttered. Given how even many prev. higher end pj's are now 3.5-5K, they should be covered in the 5K+ forum, and not lost amidst all the X1 Z1 nooB excitement. I am one of the nooB's so take my opinion as you will.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rickster904
This is definitely a big step forward. Other related ideas:...

...2. Addition to forum policy / etiquette - no 'first impression' posts six months after a pj has shipped. I'll probably get flamed for this one, but weighing the data volume issue against your right to speak your mind, some hard choices need to be made.

Rick

No flame here, I just don't understand why these posts are bad. What's the data volume issue?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jake14mw
No flame here, I just don't understand why these posts are bad. What's the data volume issue?
The posts aren't bad. The NUMBER of "X1 First Impressions" threads is bad. From now on, now that you can search for X1 threads, we won't be allowing new threads on that subject. You can find an existing "first impressions" thread and reply to it.

Edit: I wrote that reply in a hurry while I was on a break from a training class and now that I'm re-reading it I realized I really didn't answer your question. The volume issue is simply that the forum has become completely overrun with X1 threads, and a lot (OK, most) of them are rehashes of the same subject, such as "X1 First Impressions" or "X1 Firmware Update" or "X1 Lamp Issues" or... You get the idea. Before David modified the search engine, there was no way to search for a two-letter word like "X1", so Dimi and I didn't say anything about thread subjects getting repeated over and over again. Now that we can finally search on "X1", though, there is no longer any reason to continue allowing multiple threads on the same topic to proliferate and crowd out all other discussion. We're not saying that you can't continue posting your first impressions on the X1--please do!--we're just saying that you should reply to an existing "X1 First Impressions" thread instead of starting a new topic.

I hope that more thoroughly answers your question. :)

·
Registered
914 Posts
Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I did want to know whether the problem was simply that a new thread takes up a lot more space on the server than the same text added to an existing thread.

I guess because I'm relatively new here I like to read the threads of new projector owners. Some people are creative in how they present them, and new owners reviews are helpful to potential new owners. I know there used to be alot of the gushing X1 owner threads, but many times they did have a different perspective. I did a title search on X1 (Thank you, thank you) and the last "I'm a new owner thread was from the 17th.

Oh well, I guess I'll hold off a while to post my review based on the demo I got :D

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Jake,

My original post on "first impression threads" was perhaps a little extreme. Scott's position about appending repeating subject to existing threads is an excellent 'compromise'.

Personally I don't think there is any added value to post new owner reviews six months after a pj has shipped. There has been countless reviews on X1, Z1, and L300U already. I think three month old new owner reviews of X1 or Z1 are as valid now as they were first posted three months ago. Now that you can search for X1 and Z1, I really don't see any point to start new threads to discuss that.

Of course, you're free to 'voice your opinion', and I think appending to an existing thread will not diminish in anyway what you have to say.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But don't forget, Rick--there are constantly new members joining our little corner of the Internet. What's old hat to us may be just the information a newcomer is looking for. There's no intent here to squelch X1 discussion--just to squelch unnecessary new threads.

And jake14mw, one clarification: A new thread does not take a significant additional amount of space on the server. The problem is that when you have 50 threads on the X1 at the top of the heap it crowds the non-X1 threads off of the front page, and gives the forum a X1-cluttered look. If members will simply take advantage of the rejiggered search feature, fewer (A LOT fewer) new X1 threads will be created, and page 1 of the forum will have a more balanced look and feel.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Now look what you did Scott. You started yet another X1 thread. :) :) :) :) :)

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
The other problem is people keep asking the EXACT same questions about the X1 EVERY DAY. I am as helpful as the next guy but even I get tired of:

How do I hook up XYZ to the X1

What are rainbows

How do I fix rainbows

How does somewhere over the rainbow look and sound in the wizard of oz

What are your X1 settings

What is screen door

How Far should I mount

Can I make a mount

Should I mount my wife

Ok I made up a couple of those but you get the idea...

·
Registered
93 Posts
tkx1 brought up what I think is a very good idea. Perhaps dividing the under $5k group further down into the sub $2.5k group. Within the sub $5k group I would guess that at least 75% of the threads are about projectors that can be found for less than $2500 (not just MSRP). Just a thought. Great Forum as it is already though.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Nisei
Now look what you did Scott. You started yet another X1 thread. :) :) :) :) :)
D'OH!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Question: Does posting a reply to an old thread automatically bring the thread back up to the top?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Psych1
Question: Does posting a reply to an old thread automatically bring the thread back up to the top?
Yup,

Threads are sorted in reverse order of last-replied-to date.

Stickys always stay at the top.

Polls:

- voting alone will not bring the thread up

- someone needs to reply to it to bring it up

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, we've veered enough off-topic and I think everything that needs to be said has been said. Use the search engine folks... new X1 threads that do not have a unique, never-before-discussed subject will be merged into existing threads. Adios!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.