AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of going from an X1 to a Sharp DT-300. I like that it's native 16:9 and higher resolution. Also from what I've seen it has a VERY short throw which is great for a very large image at a short distance.

One thing I must know. How much better are the blacks (and contrast) does the DT-300 have compared to my X1 and how do they compare to something like the 4805.

I like my X1, but I need much better blacks and noticeably better contrast and colors from my next digital.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have owned both, I was not all that impressed with the blacks of the DT-300 and I'd say would be only slightly better then the X1, good but not great. Your real gains will be in Rez, brightness, and color wheel speed.

It is a worthwhile upgrade with some of the prices the DT-300 is going for.

But you'll need something like the H57 or HT1100 to see a IMO significant upgrade in black level, but they will cost more.

You can always hold off for cheaper 720p DLP units though.

Chris

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I went from the X1 to the DT-300 about a month ago and am very happy I did. The DT-300, while not top of the line by any stretch of the imagination, is definitely a step up from the X1. It was a pain having to move the ceiling mount & wiring but worth it. I've only got about 28 hours on mine (a substantial part of that is tweaking, calibrating etc.) but the 6 movies I've actually sat and watched have been pleasurable. The fan is just as loud so don't go thinking you'll get improvement there. The sharpness and resolution are much better. Details in the background are no longer blurry. The blacks (if you can call them that) are darker but certainly not Dark Chip 3 black.

I've tried it with both my HCMW and Gray Wolf screen and I keep switching back and forth. If the Sharp wasn't ceiling mounted the HCMW would be gone, the Gray Wolf is that much better. But I have to stand up and get my head in the 'zone' to enjoy it, not a good idea! The HCMW is a great screen but for some strange reason I get moire lines that are visible in bright scenes. I believe the resolution and distance of the PJ as well as the makeup of the pattern on the screen are exactly wrong for each other. I don't get the lines on the Gray Wolf. Still trying to sort this one out. Anyone else come across this same issue?

The PJ has a good scaler so don't sweat giving up the Faroudja in your X1. I have both a Sony NS50P and Samsung HD941 and DVD's from the Sammy (at 1080i) are sharper but not as bright and colorful as the 12bit DAC 480p Sony. Running 1080i HDTV to the Sharp will simply blow your mind, WAY better than the X1, this alone was reason enough for me to jump on this unit.

I also like the way it looks in the room. While the X1 was a drab boring box, the Sharp is a high tech, high quality looking unit. The Sharp was never ever worth MSRP ($4,299 - hah!) but it is definitely worth the bargain basement prices they can be found at today.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdon
I went from the X1 to the DT-300 about a month ago and am very happy I did. The DT-300, while not top of the line by any stretch of the imagination, is definitely a step up from the X1. It was a pain having to move the ceiling mount & wiring but worth it. I've only got about 28 hours on mine (a substantial part of that is tweaking, calibrating etc.) but the 6 movies I've actually sat and watched have been pleasurable. The fan is just as loud so don't go thinking you'll get improvement there. The sharpness and resolution are much better. Details in the background are no longer blurry. The blacks (if you can call them that) are darker but certainly not Dark Chip 3 black.

I've tried it with both my HCMW and Gray Wolf screen and I keep switching back and forth. If the Sharp wasn't ceiling mounted the HCMW would be gone, the Gray Wolf is that much better. But I have to stand up and get my head in the 'zone' to enjoy it, not a good idea! The HCMW is a great screen but for some strange reason I get moire lines that are visible in bright scenes. I believe the resolution and distance of the PJ as well as the makeup of the pattern on the screen are exactly wrong for each other. I don't get the lines on the Gray Wolf. Still trying to sort this one out. Anyone else come across this same issue?

The PJ has a good scaler so don't sweat giving up the Faroudja in your X1. I have both a Sony NS50P and Samsung HD941 and DVD's from the Sammy (at 1080i) are sharper but not as bright and colorful as the 12bit DAC 480p Sony. Running 1080i HDTV to the Sharp will simply blow your mind, WAY better than the X1, this alone was reason enough for me to jump on this unit.

I also like the way it looks in the room. While the X1 was a drab boring box, the Sharp is a high tech, high quality looking unit. The Sharp was never ever worth MSRP ($4,299 - hah!) but it is definitely worth the bargain basement prices they can be found at today.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too concerned about the black level now. I just changed to a medium-dark silver screen last night that allows me to get blacks about as dark as the 4805 even with a single shaded 60-watt bulb in the room. I love this screen so much more for viewing films. I can still read magazines and newspapers very easily when my one shaded light is on (I can see everything very clearly, but no direct light is hitting the screen). The contrast & black level enhancement is amazing. A fade to black with the one shaded light is much darker than the X1 projecting "black" onto my white screen in pitch black darkness.

I'm very pleased with this screen's contrast enhancement with ambient light. The blacks are significantly better even with ambient light. One thing I learned is do not compared screen material at the same time, beause my eyes played tricks on me making me think that I like the brightest one better. I kept going back to the white screen when comparing, but was never as satisfied with the blacks near as as much as I am with the silver. The best way to judge IMO is to view one after the other. The silver is delivering a much more film like picture with blacks on par with the 4805. Also, screendoor is virtually gone now. I checked out Underworld (which is a very dark film) and it looked much better (and with blacker blacks) with ambient light present on the silver than in pitch black darkness on my white screen.

Being able to watch a high contrast picture while being in a room where you can clearly see everything is great.

One more thing I would like to know. How do the colors compare to the X1's? I heard that DT-300 has better colors than the NEC HT1000. Is that true?

Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
The X1 (I've had two) were great little machines for movies and still are great for TV but the X1 is not a "great" movie projector today and even at the price I paid for my last one, $429 for a refurb, it is still not worth it to me.

It might still be enjoyable for newbies or people who are not very finicky but the blacks are terrible, the resolution is low, the SDE is very bothersome to many people and the rainbows make it virtually unwatchable for certian people (people like me who gave the X1 plenty of time)

The reality is, the DT-300 is so much better than the X1 if any of the things I mentioned (black level, resolution, rainbows, screendoor) bother you. The Dt-300 is sharper, much better blacks, no rainbows( at least for me) much reduced SDE and has more resolution to boot. So to answer your question, the DT300 is a major step up from an X1 and is a major step up over the SP4805 as well.

Now on the other hand, If none of those things bother you than an X1 IS STILL A GREAT VALUE ( at $450- $550) but if you are the type of person who is not bothered by terrible black level, terrible screendoor, terrible rainbows and low resolution than you are the type of person who puts the movie first and the actual presentation/quality second. Nothing wrong with that. I wish I could do that but I can't.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Roth
The X1 (I've had two) were great little machines for movies and still are great for TV but the X1 is not a "great" movie projector today and even at the price I paid for my last one, $429 for a refurb, it is still not worth it to me.

It might still be enjoyable for newbies or people who are not very finicky but the blacks are terrible, the resolution is low, the SDE is very bothersome to many people and the rainbows make it virtually unwatchable for certian people (people like me who gave the X1 plenty of time)

The reality is, the DT-300 is so much better than the X1 if any of the things I mentioned (black level, resolution, rainbows, screendoor) bother you. The Dt-300 is sharper, much better blacks, no rainbows( at least for me) much reduced SDE and has more resolution to boot. So to answer your question, the DT300 is a major step up from an X1 and is a major step up over the SP4805 as well.

Now on the other hand, If none of those things bother you than an X1 IS STILL A GREAT VALUE ( at $450- $550) but if you are the type of person who is not bothered by terrible black level, terrible screendoor, terrible rainbows and low resolution than you are the type of person who puts the movie first and the actual presentation/quality second. Nothing wrong with that. I wish I could do that but I can't.
I also own a CRT projector (waiting on my part to get fixed), so image quality is definitely important to me.

I fixed the black level issue on my X1 yesterday though with a new medium-dark silver screen. I'm getting blacks about as dark as 4805 even with some ambient light present. Movies with dark scenes are 10X more watchable now with one shaded light bulb in the room (ie no direct light hitting the screen, just the light that that escapes the shade and bounces off the walls, ceiling and floor). It's plenty bright to read and move around though, so it's not just a notch above pitch black. I can clearly see that my walls are off white and the light switch is bright white. I'm very happy with this screen. It makes it seems like I've upgraded my little low end X1, so I can only assume that a DT-300 with darker blacks, better colors & higher resolution would look even better. The screendoor is virtually gone too and the picture is smoother and more filmlike now. It resembles the CRT look a little bit. It just looks much less digital now & has much more picture depth.

The screendoor is virtually gone too and the picture is more "smooth" and more filmlike now. It resembles the CRT look. MLooks much less digital. It has much more depth. Digital noise is virtually gone too.

You may have sold me on the DT-300 upgrade. Question though: Have you seen the HT1000? Does the DT-300 really have better colors than the HT1000? If so, that's great.

I'm thinking of making a large rear projection theater, so the short throw of the DT-300 is great for what I need.

Plus, the DT-300 has lens shift doesn't it? Will that allow me to project from the middle of the screen or close to the middle?

Thanks A Lot for you reply

·
Registered
394 Posts
The DT-300 is a step up from the 4805, never mind from the X1. I have had all three. 4805 does blacks a little better but the sharp is better everywhere else. 6 segment/5x wheel, higher resolution, lens shift, sealed optics so no filter to clean. HD is where you really see the gains...that is where most of the WOW factor resides. If you only watch DVD's it is pretty even with the 4805, except you can sit closer to the screen without seeing SDE.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelman
IIf you only watch DVD's it is pretty even with the 4805, except you can sit closer to the screen without seeing SDE.
Yes, it's closer with DVD although the more pixels present on the Sharp not only allows you to sit closer ( which is a huge plus to some of us who hate SDE) but makes the image even smoother from close distances.

When comparing these two projectors, IMO there really is zero reason to opt for the Infocus. The DT-300 beats it on just about every level and it's sells for the same price. Although I hear the bulbs are more expensive so I guess that's one for Infocus.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The reason this high end PJ is being compared with the 4805 is because a major retailer has/had this unit priced for 'less' than the 4805. It can still be found at or below the 4805's street price by doing a little Googling. Having owned an X1, demoed (in house) a 4805 and now owning the DT-300 I can honestly say it is a much better machine in all respects than the other two.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure where your finding this price. There are a few shady Brooklyn dealers that have refurbs for around 4805 prices but every where else it's three times the price. There was a deal at a certain online store that had it for really cheap, but only a few people got in on that since it was a fluke. I follow prices closely at Fatwallet/Anand and don't see where you're getting this great deal for.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowser1
Not sure where your finding this price. There are a few shady Brooklyn dealers that have refurbs for around 4805 prices but every where else it's three times the price. There was a deal at a certain online store that had it for really cheap, but only a few people got in on that since it was a fluke. I follow prices closely at Fatwallet/Anand and don't see where you're getting this great deal for.
Seek and you shall find. They are all over the place and there is nothing "flukish" about the price.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I used to have both projectors at one point, the DT-300 and HT1100. I did like the colors better on the DT-300 not as oversatured and when I corrected the HT1100 I didn't like them as much.

Black level was significantly better on the HT1100.

I wrote a review about it if you check my threads.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...32#post6010132

Not a really great review, but gives you some idea of what your getting.

Chris

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could someone let me know if the lens shift on the DT-300 will allow me to project from the middle of the screen or very close to the middle. I'm not 100% sure how lens shift works, but I am very curious because I plan on making a rear projection set and it would be best if the projector could be alligned with the lens pointing at the middle of the screen or close to the middle, rather than projecting from the bottom or top.

Please let me know. This is a very important factor in my decision. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
DT300 has only vertical lense shift if that is what you want. However, I must warn you that use lense shift might reduce the light output.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Really? I hadn't heard that. I have my lens shift almost all the way down due to the placement of the PJ only 8" from the ceiling. I'll have to look into this.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure if it does what I need or not. My goal is to bring the projector up towards the middle of the screen and project the image with much less or no offset.

So, can the veticle lens shift help me achieve this or not? Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
MTyson:

Yes, it can. I experimented with mine last night, and the lens can be centered anywhere betweeen the top and bottom of the screen, including the center, of course.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.